Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Weirder...

If you're tired of the real political news, let's look at the surreal political news.

A French bulldog named Wilbur was elected major of Rabbit Hash, Kentucky. Now, most people will think it's weird that a dog is serving as major, but I think it's equally weird that the town is named "Rabbit Hash." Is that some type of food? If so, do dogs eat it?

If you're into ballots, beer, and a drag queen on roller skates, then hop on down to Buddy's LGBTQ bar in Houston, where they installed 14 voting booths on the dance floor, separated from the drinking area by a garage door so people could vote with privacy. Or as owner Christopher Barry says, "Vote in the front, party in the back."

In other weird news, a candidate who had died of COVID-19 at age 55 won his election. Talk about a bittersweet victory...he seemed like a nice enough guy, and probably would have done a good job. Sad, but weird.

And finally, there's the California neighborhood where cats and dogs are vying for mayor. According to the linked story:

The 55th Street mayoral race in Oakland started with an incumbent cat named Wally running unopposed, but then other pets pounced at the opportunity to make the race competitive.

'We decided our cat Betty seemed mayoral and that maybe we needed a change on 55th Street and we thought we"d just jump right in,' said Kirstyn Russell, a 49-year-old photography teacher whose 10-year-old Tabby has a campaign sign in the yard with the slogan 'Change Meow.""

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! I read a couple of those in the news.:laugh:

The link is clickbait but no popups (bearing in mind I have an ad blocker on) and everything is all on one page.

Weird elections make me smile but they are certainly not new. Some funny stuff here, including a rhinoceros.

https://listverse.com/2013/06/26/10-truly-bizarre-election-results/

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, bill5 said:

Stumbled on this and thought it merited a bump. :) 

This isn't as weird as the stuff above, but the surfers might disagree: 

https://apnews.com/article/california-otter-surfers-capture-c5b7558bd3df8ebaf584d75f5b531764

I think we have everything in place to start shooting the Meg 3 sequel...

• Haha 1

Well, we had the case of "Tiao the monkey" here in Brazil in the 80s.  He was a ill tempered chimpazee from the Rio zoo.  As a joke, a parody magazine put forward his candidacy for mayor.  It is estimated he reached 3o place in number of votes, although his candidacy was never (obviously) validated.  Soon after that the votes became eletronic and it wasn't possible to vote for non registered candidates (I think you still can in the US in some elections...) Folks my age and up still remember this story. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaco_Tião

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760