Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eddie Van Halen plays Won't Get Fooled Again intro on guitar

This is a humbling reminder that, although I enjoy obsessing over nailing synth tones and keyboard parts as much as the next guy, we probably overthink things sometimes. Eddie does a pretty good job doing the synth intro on his six string! Great Who cover by VH.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An innovator on the same level as Bach, Bird and Monk, imho. Best post-Hendrix guitarist. Advanced rock music by giant steps. Tragic to lose the man and his talent. What a year.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Nice. Rock-solid rhythm playing throughout.

I missed the off-beat VII chord (VH play VII-IV on beats 1 and 3, but the VII should be on 1&), but that's a detail. Thinking about it, EVH are a good candidate for "the next Who" - with their rock sound, pop sensibilities and guitarist with an interest in synths.

Although Townshend was never a lead guitar hero in any sense...

Cheer

I've always loved this version - I remember it getting a lot of air play around 92/93 when the live album came out. Hagar is probably one of the few guys that can nail that scream towards the end. Eddie does a great job capturing the essence of the organ part on guitar. It's just straight up fun rock!

I enjoyed the WGFA video but it also depressed me at the same time. I'm finding I'm struggling a bit with the loss of EVH, even though I resigned myself to the fact that we were probably not getting anything new from VH years ago.

But hey, what do expect from a guy who can say he started playing keyboards because of Eddie, and used a picture of him to tell his hairstylist how he wanted his new cut (the photo from Balance, if you must know)? VH was always one of my top bands, despite that Jump performance in Greensboro. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, the "No Turkeys" avatar was inspired by him as well!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Right there with you Joe (I'm guessing we are the same age).

I remember when John Lennon died (Elvis too!), but was too young for it to have an impact. Since then, you could fill a large stage with all the great musicians that have passed too early. But, this is the first one where I physically got chills upon hearing the news (and am still feeling it today). I suppose this is part of something that is so woven into my being that feeling like this is inevitable. So, for lack of a better example for me (and many others), he was my John Lennon.

I enjoyed the WGFA video but it also depressed me at the same time. I'm finding I'm struggling a bit with the loss of EVH, even though I resigned myself to the fact that we were probably not getting anything new from VH years ago.

But hey, what do expect from a guy who can say he started playing keyboards because of Eddie, and used a picture of him to tell his hairstylist how he wanted his new cut (the photo from Balance, if you must know)? VH was always one of my top bands, despite that Jump performance in Greensboro. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, the "No Turkeys" avatar was inspired by him as well!

Joe I think about that as I am middle aged now..........

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Wow I'd never heard this...awesome version!

I always enjoyed Eddie's rhythm playing more than his leads. Like Pete T., he always had a ton of little riff variations and it quite obviously was effortlessly done. It's one reason I love the first four VH albums best, they were written around riffs. I didn't like the songs nearly as much that were written on keys for Van Hagar, despite the fact that Sammy sings rings around Dave. Ironically the guitarist in my band, who can and does play a great version of Eruption and many other VH tunes, feels the exact opposite :D Grass is always greener on the other side!

I was 8/9 when Van Halen was shaking up the east coast. I had the benefit of an older brother with a record collection or I would have missed a lot of kick ass stuff. Not that the Cars, J. Geils Band, Hall & Oates etc. weren"t resonating with me. But VH was life and landscape altering as far as rock goes. 1984 was like the opposite of homework to a Jr. High School kid.

Me being one of three brothers, immigrant parents, jamming in the basement - their early experiences speak a lot to me. And I"ve been dwelling on this passing more than most any other in recent years.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you haven"t checked it out, 'A Different Kind of Truth,' the last studio album, is VASTLY underrated. Eddie is playing like he has something to prove and they even got mostly good takes out of Dave. (Skip the first track, 'Tattoo.' It"s awful. Just pretend it doesn"t exist.)

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Funny - I actually like Tattoo (but I'm one of a dozen people who also likes VHIII, so take that for what it's worth). Interesting thing about the album, so much of it was lifted from Ed's tape archives. They did some clean up and additions, but a lot of it is coming right from old tape. I do think the vocals are all new, though.

I picked up VHIII much later because it was for sale in a used bin. It confirms what I think based on what Sammy said at some point. Eddie was great at coming up with riffs, but the songs had to be put together by someone else like Sammy or Dave. VHIII is full of great riffs, but I guess Gary didn't put things together into songs for whatever reason. Maybe sober Eddie wouldn't let him, or Gary isn't as strong of a personality like that. Either way, VHIII is a decent album if you don't pay too much attention to it. It sounds like VH, after all. Just don't listen closely. Put it on in the background. :D

A Different Kind of Truth and Chickenfoot III came out close together and I liked CFIII much better. I wish Chickenfoot would still do stuff.

But maybe I need to give ADKOT another listen as it's been a while. I was going through the VH catalog after he passed but I stopped at Balance, and didn't get to the live albums.

So, for lack of a better example for me (and many others), he was my John Lennon.

I think he was our Hendrix.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow I'd never heard this...awesome version!

There's an official version of it on the live album Live: Right Here, Right Now, the only live album they released with Sammy. Unfortunately, IMO, there were production problems with the album and I didn't like it. Turns out,

Studio fixes, however, were admittedly present on the album. Says Hagar,

"The problem was they re-recorded almost the entire live album, because Eddie was out of tune, or Al had sped up or slowed down. They fixed everything. Only now that Eddie was playing in tune, my singing's off-key. And where Al sped up in "Runaround", now I'm singing ahead of the beat. Now I had to go back in the studio and redo all my vocals. I wanted to kill those guys. They put me in a room with the video of the concert, gave me my microphone, and I stood there and sang the whole fucking concert one time through. Just like it was a live performance."