Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio is about done

Back toward the beginning of COVID, closer to the Beforetimes than to now, I undertook a project to convert my relatively large bedroom into a studio where I could take occasional students in a COVID-safe manner, because I lost some to the online aspect.

I also figured I would have a lot of focused time for at-home music projects, since, well....So I wanted to make something more workable than the everything-piled-in-my-tiny-office-and-spread-throughout-the-house arrangement I'd had.

My grand piano was in the living room, where I taught before, so the biggest actual move was getting that through the hallway and down to the new space. After that the biggest hurdle was getting rid of my king-size bed so I could use my little former office as my bedroom going forward. Could there be a starker bit of symbolism for the isolation of COVID than the realization that you don't need a big bed anymore?

The new space has been up and running for a few months, but this weekend I made some final tweaks and feel like it's done. Well, almost done. I still have some pictures to hang. But since my hit rate on hanging pictures is down around the 12% mark, I'll call it done.

Since we're all the same kind of gear nerd, I figured I'd share here.

The pictures with the plexiglass screens show how I set up for teaching lessons. Both I and the student wear masks as well. Otherwise it's open as in the remaining pictures. I do my lectures from my desk (online).

8YLExYb.jpg

MTb6wCR.jpg

D2Tv849.jpg

xjwAB2S.jpg

6ElPskf.jpg

Jj88Sja.jpg

HECrqqG.jpg

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That full pedal board on the Hammond made me break out in a light sweat. Beauty! Open doors n' windows where you can, as well as running a fan. It helps banish the virus buildup in close spaces. Excellent layout overall. Its always a big WIN if you can get a real piano and Hammond in one space. :thu:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Thanks, Corner. It turned out to be one of those, "Duh, why didn't I do this in the first place?" things, but better late than never. The house isn't big, but they added this room to it, and the separate entrance made me realize one day....hey, this could be a teaching studio. Then the rest settled in from there.

I have all my equipment in the closet behind those mirrors, so it even bought be a bunch of space in the garage.

The room sounds beautiful. It's a rental, so of course it's carpeted wall to wall. Somehow the combination of the high ceilings/reflective walls and the dampening of the carpet, make a very mellow-but-present room tone. There's almost nowhere you can put a mic that the piano doesn't sound good.

In terms of COVID safety, in addition to us each being masked and behind a screen, 8 feet apart, I teach with the door and window open, a fan on, and an air purifier going. I schedule lessons at a time that I can clear out afterward. I spray a bunch of Lysol around the room and into the AC and fans, then leave for an hour of air-purifier cycles. Obviously it would be safer never to have anyone there, but if I'm going to, this feels like the safest way to do it. I have been pretty obsessive about staying current with various studies and recommendations.

Also...good news/bad news in that the landlord just indicated he'll be raising the rent. Yes, in the middle of a profession-killing pandemic. He's a prince. BUT...being able to take one weekly and some occasional students in that space, means I can make up the difference and a bit more. So it 's basically paying for itself going forward.

www.joshweinstein.com

Jeez, what a leech. Glad it isn't an insurmountable difference. Would suck to put all that work in, only to have to move out on a landlord's whim.

There was a week or two where I was pretty sure that's what was going to happen. I sort of came to peace with it. That actually made the news of a rent increase seem like good news, comparatively.

www.joshweinstein.com

I would murder for that much room for my stuff

I would murder for that much STUFF...................

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs