Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha P90 vs Kurzweil PC 88MX

I gave my yamaha P200 to my son for use at his Mother"s as he is taking lessons. I therefore no longer have a controller in my studio. Thinking of grabbing a PC 88MX that has recently been completely overhauled. i.e. this is for use as a midi controller only. I loved the feel of these back in the day. I do have an old P90, but the PC 88 has a better action IMO. Just seeing if this is in line with the opinion of other"s who may have played both.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what people thought in the day, but just looking at the specs, they look like totally different classes of boards. Kurzweil all the way, as far as functionality goes.

2 wheels, 2 switch pedals, 4 continous pedals, and aftertouch on the Kurz... all the Yamaha has is the 1 switch pedal (sustain).

4 zone MIDI controller function for the Kurz, no MIDI controller function on the Yamaha (besides merely having keys and MIDI jacks).

64 sounds on the Kurz with 4-way split/layer vs. 32 sounds on the Yamaha with 2-sound split or layer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I gigged the heck out of a PC-88mx. Worked great as a controller for the other keyboard (Korg Trinity) and module (Voce V5) in my rig at that time. I"ve seen some with really beat-up actions, but if completely overhauled you should be good to go.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

P90 is a good sounding DP but I got rid of it because the action was too stiff. There were some piano techniques that I just could not play on it. And the P90 is not a very good MIDI controller, far removed from my MIDIBoard. Have not tried the Kurzweil.

I've got a P90 I haven't played in forever. For it's vintage, the piano sounds are surprisingly good, but after playing it every day for a few weeks it makes my hands hurt. I get along much better with my Px5S......