Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2020 Strikes Again: Sean Connery has died

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He had star power. Charisma. Mojo. That indefinable something that makes an actor or actress a magnet for your attention. When he was on screen, you watched him, no matter what else was happening. It's a rare thing. You either have it or you don't. I don't think it can be learned. It's just there.

He had it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

He had star power. Charisma. Mojo. That indefinable something that makes an actor or actress a magnet for your attention. When he was on screen, you watched him, no matter what else was happening. It's a rare thing. You either have it or you don't. I don't think it can be learned. It's just there.

He had it.

Grey

Yes.

That said, some of the Bond girls were a bit distracting at times...

I loved the slightly goofy way he played the part. I wish he had consented to play the role in the next movie, but he turned it down and as far I as recall, never acted again.

Grey

EDIT: Okay, he did a voice role in 2012, so there's one later entry, chronologically, after Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull [2008], which he declined.

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

One of my favorites - The Hunt for Red October.

"A great day comrades. We sail into history."

That movie"s a treat. What a collection of 'Russian Naval officers' â Connery, Tim Curry, and Sam Neill. :roll:
Okay, he did a voice role in 2012, so there's one later entry, chronologically, after Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull [2008], which he declined.
I seem to recall he officially retired following the early-aughts abomination 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,' which I saw in the discount theater with my father. I believe the story goes that he had been offered the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson"s Lord of the Rings films, but turned it out down because he 'didn"t understand it.' When Fellowship was a smash, and the LXG script came to him, he accepted because he didn"t understand that either. Oops.

A shame, but he has too much of a cinematic legacy to tarnish. RIP.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I thought one of his least-appreciated roles was as Indiana Jones' father in The Last Crusade. Just the right mix of humor and gravitas.

Absolutely! The Last Crusade is my favorite Indy. And it has a gorgeous John Williams score.

Reading a bit about Sean Connery's life this morning, I found out that Ian Fleming was against casting him as James Bond. Ian considered him an unrefined Scott, and wanted someone more properly British - with David Niven, Cary Grant, and Richard Burton among his top choices.

Imagine that :laugh:. Apparently his wife and the success of Dr. No convinced him otherwise. He actually wrote Scottish heritage into James Bond's backstory in subsequent novels.

Anyway here's a list of actors considered for the role:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_James_Bond_character

The reasons for turning down the role are also given. Patrick McGoohan for example thought the role was too promiscuous. :D

This may sound incredible to those of you who are older, but I can't remember ever seeing a James Bond movie in the 1960s. I was too young for the earlier ones, and living in Seattle's U District in the late 1960s they were considered too square :laugh:.

I can appreciate them now though. RIP

Actually, the original choice for Bond was Patrick McGoohan, but he turned down the role because he didn't like how women were treated in the books.

McGoohan and Connery knew each other from working in DIsney's excellent live action films of the time (as noted above); he might've recommended Connery for the role.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager