Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fighting Keyboard Dust

I play them all the time but I live in a dusty apartment and always find myself constantly wiping down boards with a dry cloth. Sometimes I wonder about those powered air cans but seems like a bit much. I feel like more dust accumulates in the nooks and crannies of the knobs, which is harder to get at. So annoying. :mad:

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i live close to an agricultural area, lots of plowing, dust in the air, etc

I also have 2 kittens in my house.

I keep my 88 boards covered with clear plastic sheets when not playing

A fabric store will get the job done for any size, fabric

No need to spend lots of $$

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I live in desert and very dusty and very fine dust. I use those cans of air now and then and keep a dust rag by the keyboard that I use most the time. I got cover for my 88 key board but ends up more hassle to put on and off than it's the worth because I play many time scattered throughout the day. I think what helps is I have small tables on both sides of my keyboard so I'm not setting coffee cups, water bottles and other stuff on the keyboard it goes on tables. I also use the canned air to blow the dust off the speaker and tweeter of my studio monitors I run the keyboard thru. The only issue with the canned air is the initial spray usually has moisture in it, so the initial shot of air I use on something not electrical on my table.

I live in desert and very dusty and very fine dust. I use those cans of air now and then and keep a dust rag by the keyboard that I use most the time. I got cover for my 88 key board but ends up more hassle to put on and off than it's the worth because I play many time scattered throughout the day. I think what helps is I have small tables on both sides of my keyboard so I'm not setting coffee cups, water bottles and other stuff on the keyboard it goes on tables. I also use the canned air to blow the dust off the speaker and tweeter of my studio monitors I run the keyboard thru. The only issue with the canned air is the initial spray usually has moisture in it, so the initial shot of air I use on something not electrical on my table.

thanks, super helpful!

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

Interesting. I like that idea. Do the clear sheets just sit on the top surface or do they wrap around the contours of the board edges?

the clear plastic [ pliable, flexible stuff] are slightly larger than the top chassis [ and keys ] of my boards. Nothing fancy with shaped contours- since there is enough

'mass'.

You could also use cabinet shelf fabric. Different colors etc.

My idea with clear plastic sheets was to 'kitten proof ' the boards and repel any spills [ even though I keep my coffee cup a safe distance]

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

My Nord came with a branded red cover and the dealer even told me outright that the keybed is sensitive to dust so I better keep it covered. I then extended that treatment to my other keyboards.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

New keyboards usually come wrapped in a plastic bag. I use them as dust covers and have many in the closet, the Yamaha ones are especially good.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I just use black keyboard dust covers, usually with a draw string on one end to tighten them around the keyboard. A bunch of people sell them on Ebay etc :)

I just use scarves. Most are the right size to cover an 88-key keyboard with overlap at each end. If there's another area with knobs, wheels, etc., I use a second scarf. Easy to shake them out, roll them up, use them to dust a little....

Another dusty desert dweller here- I use Roadrunner covers, they are 85% Polyester/15% Spandex with drawstring (similar to Gator covers), helps a lot but I have noticed that even though I keep my keyboards covered when not in use, dust still manages to penetrate. I have a thicker black cotton cover for my Minimoog Reissue from Digital Deck Covers which seems to be more effective.

I lived in a rental house that was awful for dust. I was cleaning it off the furniture every four months, I had to place towels over my keyboards and mixers, and I could not leave my guitars out of the case. When I moved, I found dust on the glasses and dishes in the kitchen cabinets WITH THE CABINET DOORS CLOSED. That dust was EVIL. And it was not in a windy dusty atmosphere either, it was something in the ceiling.

Thanks for the tip about the dust blower from Amazon. I may check out one of these.

I'll add another plug for LeCover covers. I've been getting these since the '80s and still have the one for my JX-8P and it has lasted very well. More recently, I've acquired one for my NS3 and P6. They are very reasonably priced, look great, and work well!