Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2020 Thread

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Tuner, it's the symbolism of it that I find disturbing. At the very end of a season so transfigured by efforts to minimize the virus risk while bringing baseball to a country hungry for it, after so much was sacrificed in the name of caution, for one player to take the attitude of "we won, so that means I can intentionally expose people." It's the opposite of leading by example. Even if you think the virus is a hoax, the point is that those sacrifices have been made -- they are in the books -- so it dishonors those sacrifices to be cavalier when the big spotlight is shining on you. Turner should issue a statement saying he was wrong and apologize to people who may have been involuntarily exposed (press, security personnel, etc.). Everyone makes mistakes, it's hard not to in these times. There are quotes from Dodgers about Turner being a "leader" on the team. He still has an opportunity to be a leader.

Whoa, this soapbox is pretty slippery. I better step off before someone gets hurt.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My condolences, Synthaholic. The Braves played really well.

Best,

Geoff

Hey, Thanks Geoff! I haven't been around here lately. Yeah, the Braves did very well, but the disaster called Cole Hamels and the injury to Mike Soroka, then losing Adam Duvall in Game #1 against the hated Dodgers proved too much. Although...I have a lot of opinions about Brian Snitker, none of them good. I believe the Braves lose a lot of their games because of his managing and win despite his managing. The man seems to have never heard of a hit and run, never mind a sacrifice bunt. I get annoyed. And the young guys all resorted to trying to hit the 5 run homer every at bat instead of staying within themselves. Likely (and deserving) MVP Freddie Freeman was the only batter in the lineup who did that, and got results.

But congrats to the hated Dodgers. As for Justin Turner it's disappointing, but these are jocks! I don't expect a lot of critical thinking ability.

Edit to add: I don't call them the hated Dodgers because I'm a Braves fan, I call them that because I grew up a Yankees fan in New Jersey, and while a lot of Yankee fans older than me hate them from their Brooklyn years, my hatred dates back to the 1977, 1978, and 1981 World Series. :)

I could not stand Tommy Lasorda, Steve Garvey and Ron Cey. Lol!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

As another baseball fan from NJ, I did not hate the Dodgers in 1977 and 1978 - they were perfectly cooperative in those years.

And they were not the Reds, who I did dislike at the time.

But the Dodgers did get under my skin in 1981 and 1988 when they beat the Yankees and the Mets.

It just occurred to me that the last time the Dodgers won the World Series - 1988 - was the year that the world was introduced to Terrance Trent D'Arby. NOW it really feels like a long time ago.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've been a Bleeding Blue Dodger fan since 1977 when they were in the World Series. I was just 5 going 6 at the time.

Was heartbroken when they lost the World Series in 1978.

Going to Dodger games was a part of my childhood. Steve Garvey was my hero as a kid.

When they won in 1981 I was elated; My dad brought me to The Broadway department store in Hollywood just to buy us World Series Champions t-shirts.

1988 was a great feeling, especially after That Gibson Home Run.

Since then it was a long, hard road. I grew old enough to buy my own tickets to the games. I saw Piazza, Karros, Nomo, Brown, Green, Gagne, Beltre, Garciaparra, Kemp, Martin, Kershaw (I went to his rookie debut game!), Puig...

I went to at least one of the playoff games since 2004.

In 2017, I went to my first World Series game - October 31. I didn't care about Halloween, I went to Game 6! I paid like $1,400 for the ticket but I didn't care! I was going to see the World Series in person! The Dodgers won and forced a Game 7! The stadium was electric, no one wanted to leave! Was heartbroken watching Game 7 in a nearby bar.

Went to Game 5 of the 2018 World Series, it was also heartbreaking seeing the Red Sox celebrate on our field.

The last baseball game I attended in person was the last Dodger game with a crowd - 2019 NLDS Game 5 vs. the Nationals. It was even more gut-wrenching to be eliminated after having the best record all year.

I pretty much watched, streamed or listened to 59 of the 60 games this season.

I was elated when they finally won the World Series on Tuesday.

And then, on the 2nd or 3rd replay of the final out, it finally sunk in...tears welled up in my eyes.

Then I spent the rest of the night buying "World Champions" gear online :)

Today, October 31, 2020 marks the 3rd anniversary of my very first World Series game. None of us were able to go to the Dodger games obviously due to the Pandemic, but Dodger Stadium is open as an official L.A. County Voting Center for the 2020 Elections.

I will be going to Dodger Stadium today to cast my vote, and to celebrate the long-deserved World Series Championship in my own way. I never let an October go by without visiting Dodger Stadium!

I will be going to Dodger Stadium today to cast my vote, and to celebrate the long-deserved World Series Championship in my own way. I never let an October go by without visiting Dodger Stadium!

I love that major league sports venues are open as voting places. One can hope it becomes a permanent thing, a way for the lucrative (in normal times) sports business to "give back."

In safer times, they could even let voters round the bases and slide head first into home plate, with an official umpire there to yell "safe!" That's my idea for boosting voter turnout!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Garvey was my hero as a kid.

I always had the same thought whenever Garvey came to bat: Popeye. They had the same massive forearms.

I saw Piazza, Karros, Nomo, Brown, Green, Gagne, Beltre, Garciaparra, Kemp, Martin, Kershaw (I went to his rookie debut game!), Puig...

Did you ever see Fernando or Orel Hershiser pitch? Orel was a very disciplined and smart pitcher. But I will never associate Nomar in my mind with the Dodgers. He"s always a Red Sox to me. Same with Willie Randolph. Always a Yankee.

Congrats on the win. We"re gunning for you next year. ;)