Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modeling Mic Systems

I was checking out this blog article:

https://iconcollective.edu/best-microphone-modeling-plugins/

I wondered if any MPN members have or have used any of these modeling systems?

And if so, what you might think of them?

I remember passing on Mic Room the last time I did a package deal with IK but I don't remember why - I probably wanted something else more.

The systems that come with a dedicated mic look most interesting to me but I wonder how good they are.

Thanks for posting, what ever you say! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Townshend Labs Sphere system caught my attention, they have combined a dual diaphragm mic (each capsule is recorded seperately) with software to enable modeling not just the tone of a specific mic but also the pattern and off-axis response. It can also record stereo if desired.

The reviews from Tape Op and Sound on Sound were interesting.

Just dreaming at this point, when I win the lottery everything will be different!

• 3 weeks later...
The Townshend Labs Sphere system caught my attention, they have combined a dual diaphragm mic (each capsule is recorded seperately) with software to enable modeling not just the tone of a specific mic but also the pattern and off-axis response. It can also record stereo if desired.

Just dreaming at this point, when I win the lottery everything will be different!

While folks argue about white-glove authenticity (and always will), what I love about the Sphere is how you can screw with it and create impossible microphones that do impossible things. (Full disclosure: I write material for the TL website, which I'd have a hard time doing happily if I didn't really like the product.)

As for the others on that list:

The Gauge is a cute way to tweak mic response but honestly isn't going to fool anyone from an authenticity standpoint (I have it and screw around with it once in a while)

I found Mic Room to be pretty much useless and unimpressive, but hey, people have called me a tin-eared idiot (right before yanking their ads) for decades now

When it was released, our reviewer liked the Slate system well enough when it was used as part of the larger Slate ecosystem), but didn't feel a huge urge to stick with it for the long haul

Antelope Audio... something happened to that company. Their earliest products were amazing, but now they are churning out something new every year, and I see all kinds of reports from the field that drivers are having issues, reliability is through the floor, and Antelope seems to be focused on pushing out more new products rather than fixing what's out there already. I know someone who has a full 32-channel Orion system that is gathering dust in a road case; he now uses an Apogee Symphony, which costs way more and does a fair bit less... but at least it always works and sounds good. A modeling mic from Antelope? No thank you please.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Antelope Audio... something happened to that company. Their earliest products were amazing, but now they are churning out something new every year, and I see all kinds of reports from the field that drivers are having issues, reliability is through the floor, and Antelope seems to be focused on pushing out more new products rather than fixing what's out there already. I know someone who has a full 32-channel Orion system that is gathering dust in a road case;

Owwwwww! Thanks for the warning. I've been looking for a widebody interface and have been studying Antelope's line.

I see that they're tossing in a universal (do we need a new word to describe a mic that can have any pattern you want?) mic when you buy one of their interfaces that has the firmware to control it.

While folks argue about white-glove authenticity (and always will), what I love about the Sphere is how you can screw with it and create impossible microphones that do impossible things. (Full disclosure: I write material for the TL website, which I'd have a hard time doing happily if I didn't really like the product.)

As for the others on that list:

The Gauge is a cute way to tweak mic response but honestly isn't going to fool anyone from an authenticity standpoint (I have it and screw around with it once in a while)

I found Mic Room to be pretty much useless and unimpressive, but hey, people have called me a tin-eared idiot (right before yanking their ads) for decades now

When it was released, our reviewer liked the Slate system well enough when it was used as part of the larger Slate ecosystem), but didn't feel a huge urge to stick with it for the long haul

Antelope Audio... something happened to that company. Their earliest products were amazing, but now they are churning out something new every year, and I see all kinds of reports from the field that drivers are having issues, reliability is through the floor, and Antelope seems to be focused on pushing out more new products rather than fixing what's out there already. I know someone who has a full 32-channel Orion system that is gathering dust in a road case; he now uses an Apogee Symphony, which costs way more and does a fair bit less... but at least it always works and sounds good. A modeling mic from Antelope? No thank you please.

Thanks so much for some real world perspective!!!!

I hear you on the Townshend Labs mic being a "rabbit hole Chameleon" with the combination of modeling AND independent dual diaphragms it has more than enough features to create unique mics.

If I'm not mistaken there is probably a way to put different models on each diaphragm, which is both insane and insanely cool.

I hear you on the Townshend Labs mic being a "rabbit hole Chameleon" with the combination of modeling AND independent dual diaphragms it has more than enough features to create unique mics.

If I'm not mistaken there is probably a way to put different models on each diaphragm, which is both insane and insanely cool.

This is true, and can create some amazing results. Two mics on one guitar, blendable, with zero phase issues, for a start. Even if they're both pointing at the same place, this is still way cool.

Also, Kuru: Townsend is the company. Townshend is the guy who makes like a windmill on stage. ;)

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

This is true, and can create some amazing results. Two mics on one guitar, blendable, with zero phase issues, for a start. Even if they're both pointing at the same place, this is still way cool.

Also, Kuru: Townsend is the company. Townshend is the guy who makes like a windmill on stage. ;)

Got it, the British not only couldn't spell but the concept is absurd. End of a Town? What do you do when the town grows well beyond that end? Move the street sign?

What is a Townsh or for that matter, maybe a Shend? Foof! Pete is cool, I would blame his parents but it probably goes back much farther, despite London not staying a town and growing into a city.

I don't know any Cityshends! :laugh:

You're a nutbar, Kuru... keep thish up and they're gonna shend you to the inshane ashylum.

(RIP Sean Connery z''l)

You're a nutbar, Kuru... keep thish up and they're gonna shend you to the inshane ashylum.

(RIP Sean Connery z''l)

Ash long ash they shtill let me be a shongwriter and don't put one of thoshe shtraitjacketsh on me it'sh all good.

Well, unlesh they try to get me all drugged up, then you wouldn't know whether to shtand or sh*t!