Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Single Point Failures?

My Lynx Aurora 16 converter box died a few weeks ago and it's on it's way back to CA for repair again after an unsuccessful first attempt. Despite this Lynx support has been great thus far and I'm happy they're receptive to my inputs.

In the mean time I have no way of getting audio into my pc. And although my alternate sound card (HT Omega eClaro) works well for Youtube and similar it doesn't work with any flavors of ASIO or other usable drivers. This means no VSTs or Reaper audio playback tracks.

Fortunately I have a real analog mixer so I can still use my keyboards. Maybe this is the compelling argument for having a mixer?

I'm thinking about a getting a back up or using the Aurora as a back up eventually. Anyone else have a single point failure that takes your entire or most of your rig/setup down?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rid my studio of mixers many years ago, and everything depends on a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. I guess if it goes down (and it is a few years old) I would be "scrod," as my brother would say. Every now and then I am tempted to reacquire an Ashly LX-308B.

I've been keeping an eye out at the pawn shops. Sharkey's will refund your money if you bring an item back in a week or less.

I'd like a small 2 channel interface, partly for backup and mainly because that, my laptop, a mic and a stand is a mobile studio rig that I can easily take anywhere.

I've seen a couple of them, hovering in the $60 range for Presonus, Focusrite - etc. Not high end stuff but it works.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My home setup is really all single point...one laptop, one interface. Then again, I'm just a hobbyist.

My live typical rigs have been pretty robust. Two keyboards, a mixer--but I could go direct to the main mixer if I needed to. I have a couple IEM packs, and a couple different earbuds, and two mics. Various cables. The band normally has an extra mic stand or two if one gives out. If I absolutely had to I could hear well enough through a front wedge to get through a gig (only two of us use IEMs).

IF I end up ever gigging again, and IF I get the Nord Stage 3 that I intended to get when I sold my Electro--I'd be more likely to do some single-keyboard gigs. I trust Nord more than most manufacturers, certainly my pc361 will not be gigged again after a few issues (makes a great home controller though.)