Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microphone vs. piano

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Steinway B, and I have a few favorite set-ups.

For a close sound, I like to use a pair of Oktava Mk012 (cardioid capsule), one on the upper register near the hammers, the other over the bass strings near the string crossover point, and then a third mic (usually something like an RE20 or a Shure Beta 52) under the piano pointing up at the soundboard.

For a more "natural" sound, I'll often use a M/S setup with an AKG414 for the sides, and a Neumann TLM 103 or a mono ribbon mic for the mid. I have a pair of Cascade Fathead ribbons that I sometimes use as a spaced pair, as well, for a more "vintage-y" sound. That M/S or stereo setup goes about 3-4' from the full-stick open lid, about 5' off the ground, and aimed very slightly down. That's specific to my room which has lots of acoustic treatment but relatively low ceilings - that position gives me the best balance between piano and room sound.

The discussion about AEA mics got my gear lust all fired up, too. I have been a fan of the AEA R84 and R88 for years, but I hadn't even heard of the N8 - now I really want one (or a pair!)

Just did a recording session this morning, and remembered how much I like this setup:

Yamaha C7 (a little stiffer action than I like, we were in Studio 1 and I usually record in Studio 2 on the other Yamaha C7)

Pair of Neumann U87s just behind the dampers

Pair of Coles 4038s outside the piano looking into the soundboard

Not sure what preamps they had me going through... but unmixed in the control room it sounded brilliant for what we were doing. Very tempted to try the Roswells though.

Side note: it was a duo with qanun (Turkish zither) which was miked with a stereo pair of Telefunken M260s. Sounded really beautiful.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.