Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Oberheim 2 Voice - TVS?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I´d like to see a new SEM,- even in eurorack format and together w/ the stepsequencer,- the "obie" ringmod and phaser in addition.

When Tom Oberheim introduced the SEM-X some time ago, I hoped for it´ll see daylight,- but it didn´t.

But I´d also wish UB came w/ the SEM module alone,- and sequencer w/ FX together in a separate unit,- allowing to buy several SEM but only 1 sequencer/FX module.

A.C.

Well the Behringer modules are compatible with eurorack so this will give you 2 SEMS in a 80HP package I think. Even if the sound is close the form factor is much smaller so like the Model D the knobs are going to be small and very close together. Anyway, probably at least a year before it comes to market. They have only just started shipping the 2600. Still no sign of the RD-9 and the UBXa is probably another 6 months. Why don't they just announce the product when it's ready - Uli & co seem to spend too much time on social media. Meanwhile Dave Smith and his team quietly get on with developing new products and announcing them when they are ready.

But I´d also wish UB came w/ the SEM module alone,- and sequencer w/ FX together in a separate unit,- allowing to buy several SEM but only 1 sequencer/FX module.

A.C.

It's all down to the form factor - they only have to design the top panel. All the module cases are ready to go.

I wonder if two of those could make a 4vs with it"s voice allocation scheme/macro control. If so, a huge miniaturization. Agree B has a lot of talk on social media!

At some point, surely one of their cost accountants will calculate just how much they are cannibalizing themselves?

I wonder if two of those could make a 4vs with it"s voice allocation scheme/macro control. If so, a huge miniaturization. Agree B has a lot of talk on social media!

At some point, surely one of their cost accountants will calculate just how much they are cannibalizing themselves?

The Behringer modules have a Poly chain mode - so 2 units would give you a 4 voice. But it would need additional note allocation routines to match the FVS. Might be easy for Behringer to add this functionality through SynthTool though. The Neutron app lets you split OSC1 and 2. So if they added this to the TVS system it's getting interesting. What I loved about the FVS was stacking the voices in unison using different pitches and envelope settings as well as the note allocation and splits that were possible.

Re accountants: let's see how much a full size synth like the UBX retails for. Most of what they have released to date has been scaled down. Although the DeepMinds are full size and very good value for money.

1523.png.ed883f16db1db58524b656a5249d028a.png

1524.png.1ab7a1bfd9fe032f4aa7ce3c51883a7b.png

Ummm - while I appreciate the fact that Behringer is bringing the authentic vintage sound to the masses (I have a Model D myself), the idea of them patenting the Oberheim name while Tom is still among us, and reproducing an instrument that he's been making until recently, I find disturbing.

I have a surreal image: someone of smaller finger size who can handle the more limited B'knob sizes, doing a Wakeman in a ring of all Behringers. That creeps me out in some odd way. If I figure it out, I promise not to post my revelations.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Ummm - while I appreciate the fact that Behringer is bringing the authentic vintage sound to the masses (I have a Model D myself), the idea of them patenting the Oberheim name while Tom is still among us, and reproducing an instrument that he's been making until recently, I find disturbing.

T.O. is old and I think that´s why the SEM-X and Oberheim Ringmod as also Phaser in eurorack format didn´t appear on the market.

When these were announced, I waited ´til today to get a chance buying ´em, but it didn´t happen.

I wanted the combo as partners for my vintage Minimoog D,- some nostalgic recreation of Jan Hammer´s synth- (and Rhodes-) rig in the past.

Now, when I can get it from U.B., I´d be happy,- regardless of price.

And have in mind, the "new" SEMs, still available from T.O., aren´t eurorack format.

That said, normally, I´m not a eurorack guy at all,.- but especially for a complete SEM module and the step sequencer, I liked that format.

Tom´s idea bringing Ringmod and Phasor in addition was brilliant and justified patchability (for my purposes),- even I didn´t want to dive into the patchcord synths in my life again.

A.C.

Moralization ...?

In today´s biz,- that´s kind of loanword, isn´t it?

You know very well how you´re treated as a musician in today´s world when offering your services.

That was VERY different decades ago.

The same happens when you´re a hardware manufacturer or run whatever biz in MI..

In fact, the question is: "is it legal or is it not".

And don´t forget,- Tom Oberheim didn´t realize his SEM-Plus and SEM-X eurorack projects at all !

So, that´s where the niche is !

And, who knows ?

Maybe, they already have an agreement.

I don´t see, Tom cannot sell his "new" SEM modules anymore.

These are different form factor,- carry his brand name and are still on offer.

And, there´s always the difference of legal protection of registered designs and/or a real patent.

A.C.

Al - I've read all your points and I think it's useless to argue about them one by one, since we simply have different views.

I'll only say that I totally stand by my opinion. I'm usually the one who defends Behringer in this kind of discussion (which pops out frequently), but this just doesn't feel right to me. Legality is a different matter altogether.