Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got my new PC4 - First impression

The PC4 came in today.

I was genuinely surprised that it not only came with the power supply, but a pair of 1/4 TRS cables, and a Kurzweil sustain pedal

I can honestly say that this is the best keyboard I've ever laid hands on. The sounds in it are very good, logically laid out, very easy to access. I went in to set up quick access, and it could not be simpler. Call up the sound you want, then press and hold the quick key.

SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING!!!!!

I went to update the OS using the KUF file from the website. It has you format the flash, then run the file from a thumb drive.

The issue, it would not find the file. I scrambled around for a while, fearing that I had messed up, as the OS would not start.

I finally found the issue. The thumb drive was formatted NTFS, and the system could not read it. I reformatted to FAT 32, and was able to install the update. Major sigh of relief.

I still have a long way to go just auditioning the sounds. But I'm starting to locate some favorites

1 Dyn 9ft Grand. is very nice, but I like 3 Smooth Grand 9ft a bit better. The sound of that piano is actually very inspirational.

29 R&B Stack is another that will get use. We are going to be playing "Taking It To The Streets" By the Doobies, and it is perfect for that song.

Still deciding which of the EPs are my favorites. There are several that are to my liking, with 43 Suitcase EP, 44 EZ Tube EP, 47 Dyno EP among my favorites for Rhodes, 53 EP Reed & 58 These Eyes edging toward the top for Whurli.

I had mentioned the need for horns. Still auditioning, but for the Chicago songs, I will probably use 1068 Trumpets Section for the main horn parts, 667 Lead Trumpet for, well, the lead trumpet line, and 675 Solo Trbn/Trpt for the Trombone

ending. Still auditioning for sax section.

Strings are still being auditioned as well. I have found a few that I like, but have not narrowed anything down yet. The same for Clav. I need to connect my continuous pedals to check out the Wah factor.

Organ sounds, she really shines there. I commented that I had never heard an all-in-one that does Hammond well, as well as AP. My SK2 does great Hammond, but I dislike the AP. Sounds too compressed to my liking.

It will take some tweaking, tough, as I like using C3 choral, and the way it is currently set, it's too overbearing. The Leslie effect is nice, and depending how it does in live performance, may have me retire the Vent. We'll see.

I'll have to be careful, though, because the mod wheel adds overdrive, and it is Very easy to hit the transpose up button with out realizing it.

I'm still working out the live performance buttons, sliders, and knobs, learning where everything is. That was one of the selling points for me, so I'm sure it won't take me long to figure it out.

After all, I set it up in my office at lunch from work, played with it a little in between calls, and only really started diving in after I got off work. This was all from the past 4-5 hours. In a system complex, I expect to need much more than that to get comfortable. Next gig is not until Nov 21, so I have some time.

I will continue to post as I get farther into the journey.

I'll add some pics in the next few days as well. Haven't had time to take any yet.

I almost forgot. The keybed is really nice. Very easy to be expressive. Nice feel. Started feeling a bit stiff, but considering I've been playing a lot on waterfall and semi-weighted, that is to be expected. Plus my desk chair is a little low. But the end of the session with her, I was getting very comfortable with the feel.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the organ, my PC3 experience closely resembles yours -- very happy with it but....

As I recall, there are no adjustments available on the vibrato/chorus effects. I hope someone here corrects me on that.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

From the manual

Chorus and Vibrato each have 3 levels of depth. Depth 1 has the least amount of effect

applied, Depth 3 has the most. Pressing the Chorus/Vibrato Depth button toggles between

Depth 1 (LED off) and Depth 3 (LED on). You can also set the depth on the KB3

Parameters page using the Chorus/Vibrato Depth parameter. Values 0-42 = Depth 1, 43-85

= Depth 2, 86-127 = Depth 3.

But I have not gotten in there to try to make any adjustments

Willie Dixon

Thanks for you helpful post.

I am waiting for the 61 keys version...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Not sure how they're going to set up the 61 keys version. The front panel has so much that it is 61 keys wide, not counting the volume slider and the pitchbend/mod wheels.

Willie Dixon

Yeah, for it to fit, the only way to do a 61 would be to move the wheels down to the left of the keyboard, at which point it becomes only a few inches smaller than the 76.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How many Quick Access slots are there?

I tried the manual and Quick Access isn"t in the index. I found one vid on workflow but it is in German. Just ain"t having any luck. I want a light 88. The action on the MODX8 ain"t doing it for me. This will be for Blues and Country gigs. I"ll use the Kronos for the Pop gig.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm comparing this to several boards that I have experience with. The Korg SP200, Yamaha MM8, Yamaha MOX8, '61 Wurlitzer Spinet Acoustic, Yamaha CP-70b, and the grand piano at church.

This action feels better than all of them. There is enough resistance to be able to play softly with control, yet enough give to bear down when needed without taxing your forearms. I tried doing rapid fire single notes, and there was NO issue.

They did away with the Fatar in favor of the Medeli.

After playing it a large portion of the evening, it left my hands feeling like they had a workout, but on a more feeling warmed up and loose way than a fatigue way.

The real test will come after playing some really taxing songs live, but I feel it will do well on that. I have a couple where by the end of my solo, my hands are saying "No Mas!". Case in point, my solo at the end of "Right Place, Wrong Time" I do 8 bars of 16th triplets. Usually by the end of this, my forearm is tightening up. Will be interesting to see how it feels the first time I do that on this keybed.

The keys themselves feel just the right amount of smooth. My fingers are able to slide around on the keys the way I like, without feeling so slippery as to lose control.

I've always been one of those players that hates to practice. This keybed makes me want to practice.

Of course, that could just be the excitement and novelty of having a new board.

Willie Dixon

With the quick access pages, you can put 10 patches there, and then be able to access each sound with a single button push.

CEB - you would like this board for Blues and Country gigs. The AP sounds are very nice, with some being a bit brighter so they would fit nicely in the mix. It even has a couple Pub Pianos for that poorly maintained, out of tune sound.

My church has an MOX8, and basically I won't play it.

If I'm playing this week, I'll play the PC4 instead of the acoustic

Willie Dixon

From the manual

Chorus and Vibrato each have 3 levels of depth. Depth 1 has the least amount of effect

applied, Depth 3 has the most. Pressing the Chorus/Vibrato Depth button toggles between

Depth 1 (LED off) and Depth 3 (LED on). You can also set the depth on the KB3

Parameters page using the Chorus/Vibrato Depth parameter. Values 0-42 = Depth 1, 43-85

= Depth 2, 86-127 = Depth 3.

But I have not gotten in there to try to make any adjustments

That just speaks to how to select the C/V setting, whether you want C1, C2 or C3. The C/V itself is not adjustable like it is on the Hammond SK2, i.e you can't change the blend of the mix of vibrato to chorus like you can on the hammond. C3 is too strong and there is no way of lightening up C3, it is what it is. I generally use C2 or C1 so that the C/V is not overbearing. I just default my KB3 program so that C3 is not the default C/V setting. Another tremendous strength of the keyboard is its Controller capability. Not only do the internal sounds sound very good but its controller functions are great; you can pretty much assign any controller to control any CC. Love the feature set of the keyboard.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah, for it to fit, the only way to do a 61 would be to move the wheels down to the left of the keyboard, at which point it becomes only a few inches smaller than the 76.

yeah, doesn´t make sense then.

I´d really like to read more about the 76 version.

Thomann hasn´t advertised up to now,- did anyone had the occasion playing the new SWA76-action and compare w/ the former Fatar in PC3/PC3K 76 models ?

A.C.

Man, Mr. N, that review just reignited my PC4 GAS. Crap... Some here might know I've been wrestling with a recently acquired Roland RD-88 - an awesome keyboard in many ways. But the front panel interface has left me somewhat hungering for user connection, as it somewhat resembles that of a Roland U-20, from 1989 :laugh: ; meanwhile that of the PC4 looks to be a veritable feast. One intriguing plus of the RD is the built-in speakers. The keyboard I borrowed to play at my mom's facility last year had them; it was very helpful. But, the PC4 - much easier to get around, TW organs far beyond the RD's org samples, aftertouch, an interface that's actually from 2020. Guess I could look for a small, high-quality speaker-bar to use with the PC4 for the nursing home playing, and the local restaurant - when gigs return.

Dang, why does this keyboard have to be so tempting, and look so fetching on top of that? :pop:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

...............Still deciding which of the EPs are my favorites. There are several that are to my liking, with 43 Suitcase EP, 44 EZ Tube EP, 47 Dyno EP among my favorites for Rhodes, 53 EP Reed & 58 These Eyes edging toward the top for Whurli.

Try the Mtron EP (#51) ;) - remove the WAH effect though and/or replace 2432 with 2431 Broken EP FX - 2432 gives a tiny bit more O/D while 2431 is a bit smoother

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

...............Still deciding which of the EPs are my favorites. There are several that are to my liking, with 43 Suitcase EP, 44 EZ Tube EP, 47 Dyno EP among my favorites for Rhodes, 53 EP Reed & 58 These Eyes edging toward the top for Whurli.

Try the Mtron EP (#51) ;) - remove the WAH effect though and replace with 2431 Broken EP FX

I was about to say that I don't like the wah effect. Not a fan of 48 broken EP either, but it might be interesting to try that.

Let me get to know her a little better, first

Another thing I really like is how they moved the connectors up high and labeled them from the top so you don't have to stand on your head hunched over the board with a flashlight to make the connections.

It is very obvious that a LOT of thought went into meeting the needs of the musician, not only sonically, but ergonomically as well

Willie Dixon

Yeah it is nice having the names screen printed on top...haha I actually meant using the Mtron and replacing the effects chain, not the actual program Broken EP :) You'll figure it as you go along :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I'm sharing in your joy Mr Nightime, because I'm getting acquainted with the church's new SP6 right now, and some of those sounds you mentioned are exactly the same in this one and really a joy to play. I'm new to Kurzweil world, having owned Rolands and a Nord before. I find the Nord pianos and organ still superior but they are very playable in the Kurz too and in EPs I think it's a draw. Overall it's great to get experience with Kurz architecture and programming (and I do love programming) and getting some inspiration from the sounds.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I just shifted her to another room, set up my Mackie Thumps and my Yamaha board and connected her up. I connected a Yamaha FC7 pedal into CC1. Now I need to see if I can find where globally I can change the response of the pedal. It goes from off to full on in about the first 1/8 of the travel. I need to smooth it out to use the entire pedal range.

Looking through the manual and global settings, and have not found it yet

Willie Dixon

I just shifted her to another room, set up my Mackie Thumps and my Yamaha board and connected her up. I connected a Yamaha FC7 pedal into CC1. Now I need to see if I can find where globally I can change the response of the pedal. It goes from off to full on in about the first 1/8 of the travel. I need to smooth it out to use the entire pedal range.

Perhaps it"s the FC7.

Here for the gear.

Perhaps it"s the FC7.

That is a possibility. But I've been able to make adjustments on other boards to smooth the response, so I find it surprising that I am having an issue locating it here.

Willie Dixon

I connected a Yamaha FC7 pedal into CC1. Now I need to see if I can find where globally I can change the response of the pedal. It goes from off to full on in about the first 1/8 of the travel. I need to smooth it out to use the entire pedal range.

Yammi FC7 doesn´t work correctly w/ Kurzweil keyboards !!!

You NEED a 10K lin pot and the FC7 is 50K.

Polarity is different too !

While you´re able to compensate polarity w/ adapter(s) or re-soldering wires inside the plug (when pedal is released, the contacts have to be open !),- IMO,- there´s no way compensating for pot resistance and wiper-travel.

Fatar VP-25 is identical w/ Kurzweil CC-1 pedal and is a fraction of the price.

Thoman_VP25

That´s good for home, studio and occasional gigs,- for concert touring treatment not so much (but who does that in never ending corona times?).

A Roland EV5 works too.

Even many users report it as a crappy pedal, I don´t think so because I used the (my only one) EV5 for concert touring since 1989 and it´s still working perfect.

Maybe only mine is that reliable, but it is.

I also use the Fatar VP-25 and a orig. Kurz CC-1 since 2011 and they still work like day 1.

So, it might depend on a man´s weight and size of shoe when using these pedals.

A.C.

You could very well be right. I did see that the pedal needed to be a 10K linear. I did not know that the FC7 was 50K. The Kurzweil pedal looks to be $89. I'll look into the others.

Willie Dixon

You could very well be right. I did see that the pedal needed to be a 10K linear. I did not know that the FC7 was 50K. The Kurzweil pedal looks to be $89. I'll look into the others.

I AM right because I own ´em all,- and a Kurzweil keyboard in addition !

A.C.

Proel Volume pedal works (it's a cheapie) Boss FV 500 L works it's the exxy one and the Roland EV-5 works and it's about the middle :)