Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tech Question on USB-C to Ethernet

Am trying to get a low latency rehearsal going on between a few people that live within a mile to 9 miles apart.

Everyone knows where their router is in the house. Not everyone's laptop has an ethernet port as mine does.

It seems some of the newer laptops are only giving us a USB-C port on both Mac and PC models.

If I put in an order for a few USB-C to Ethernet adapters....

Will speed be similar to what I am getting off of ethernet?

Do such adapters just work? Or are there software/drivers that need installation? On Mac OS, On Windows 10?

Can anyone recommend a model they've had success with?

Thank you!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, are you going to be running fifteen miles of Ethernet cable, or are you going via the internet connection?

I assume the latter, in which case the latency of USB to Ethernet is going to be irrelevant. You probably won"t be able to properly work anyway.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

The additional latency of a USB-C ethernet adapter will be minimal. Should be well under a millisecond. The reason to use hardwired over WiFi is because even the best WiFi has occasional latency spikes that are unacceptable. As in tens of milliseconds if not hundreds. The adapter should just work for regular networking, without installing drivers, etc. (They don't won't work for AVB, but unlikely that you care.)

I have a multiport dock thingy from Choetech that seems pretty good, but I haven't done a lot of networking stuff with it. My guess is for just USB-C to Ethernet, most products will be just fine.

-Z-

Correct, I am using ethernet because it is significantly more stable than WiFi and consistent latency is more agreeable to music making than unpredictable latency.

I'm not networking for AVB or anything, this is for getting best possible scenario over my ISP.

There are a few services like JamKazam https://jamkazam.com/ and JackAudio https://www.soundjack.eu/ which are better for this task than Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, etc. I believe 1-9 miles with ethernet and a fast internet connection is going to be better than not playing.

But that brings me back to my main question which is -

What ethernet to USB-C connector to get and will it be plug-n-play on OSX and Windows 10?

I am guessing then I may just need to tell the operating system to use the USB-C connector for networking? Rather than WiFi.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

What ethernet to USB-C connector to get and will it be plug-n-play on OSX and Windows 10?

I am guessing then I may just need to tell the operating system to use the USB-C connector for networking? Rather than WiFi.

I"m using the Apple USB Ethernet adapter. It"s plug-n-play - Mac automagically switches over when the WIFI is turned off and you can set Network priority in the settings. My 2 MacBook Airs are wired this way to free up the WIFI bandwidth. I also bought a few off-brand adapters, the cheapest ones needed a driver, so they got tossed out. The Belkin adapter is plug-n-play on both Mac and Windows, but I prefer the Apple adapters even though they are more expensive.

This is the model I use. I have a 16" Macbook Pro, which of course has those four USB C ports with a headphone jack and nothing else.

Belkin 4-Port USB Type-C Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Pretty simple - it's plug and play and there's nothing else that needs to be done. I use it to get a better (and much faster) connection than WiFi.

I don't know about Windows...the Windows machines I've used have had Ethernet ports.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments