Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Speaking of SNL - Adele

I do not listen to much pop music. Only heard bits of Adele over the years. Watching the highlights of SNL and this skit I was moved by Adele's brief moments singing her hits. I won't lie, her voice brought a few tears to my eyes. Not the words but the timbre and emotion, not sure how to explain it.

There's so many great vocalists and musicians but this level of emotion IMO is rare.

[video:youtube]

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel what you're saying, 16251. By the way, can I just call you "16"? 5 digits is so formal . . .

Adele was one of the best SNL hosts ever, imho. I'd say that based on her acting alone, but this Bachelor skit blew the roof off for me, in no small part because it skewered two of my wife's biggest obsessions. Nobody knows the trouble I've seen, nobody knows my sorrow, having every episode of the Bachelor franchise broadcast into my house for the past ten years.

Adele has been more tolerable. Despite always sort of washing over me as "chick music," I've been able to listen to her albums even the 7th time through on the same car trip.

My respect for her went up with the most recent album because the production was paired down to mostly piano, showing she doesn't need tons of production. And her singing in this skit shows she can turn it on like a light switch (as long as the switch also has lots of reverb).

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The early stuff she was doing prior to big break and pop stardom was really throwing it all out there on the stage.

The song writing for broad appeal really did it for her internationally.

Ya, I think she's a great performer, too. And I'm glad she is sounding good at the moment. They say she had some fatigue issues and surgery on the cords for polyps if I am not mistaken.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I was sold the first time I heard "Chasing Pavements". My local Top 40 station played it as a test, and it sounded so much to me like a Bacharach/David song. I'm a huge Burt fan, and I went home to find out about it and her, thinking it must have been some song of theirs I didn't know? Lo and behold, she cowrote the tune. Here's a great live version...

Monster talent, and I've heard anecdotally she's a sweetheart to work with. Quite humble apparently...

I've heard the same. Very down-to-earth, no airs-and-graces, but an absolute pottymouth!

I was sold on Adele after "Rolling In The Deep", but had to request a partial refund after the pitch-correction on "Hello". Adele don't need no steenking Auto-Tune!

Cheers, Mike.

They should of had her as the musical guest . So much better than who they had. I lasted about 1 minute into their first song and changed channels .Same garbage that passes for R&B today. Second song was a slight bit better because at least it featured live instruments. Adele could of killed it with a few,songs.

I was sold the first time I heard "Chasing Pavements".....

Thanks for sharing. I had not listened to anything from her first album before. I like the song!

I read a story about how it was composed, which made it seem she mostly created this herself, and then noticed the song writing credit names her and another person.

And the song writing credit for "Someone Like You" includes her and another person (I think the guy who played piano on the recording).

She probably did not need to share songwriting credit, especially by the time she was making her second album.

I am doing a lot of inferring here, but it makes me think something about how she works with others.

Good amount of emotion in her voice. Something that Celine Dion was missing. In one respect she can be compared to Gladys Knight. When someone else sings her songs, something is missing.
I find Celine Dion to be over-melodramatic in her delivery - and then I heard her sing in French. Somehow it works.

And Gladys is cool - I could listen to "Midnight Train to Georgia" all day long.

Cheers, Mike.