Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Massive, loud studio monitors?

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I did a lot of work setting up MIDI in studios. Just before Genelec hit the scene, the big studios all had Urei cabinets with the blue foam waveguide. Some were so big that one person could not lift it easily. And they were LOUD. I got really used to tracking at concert levels.

I"ve always enjoyed playing in my home studio really loud. To save my studio monitors, I set up a pair of PA speakers that I crank up when I"m jamming over live drums or just head banging while writing. Then, when it"s time to mix, I switch back to the reference monitors.

But it just occurred to me that I may be able to simplify. Are there powered studio-quality monitors that get loud enough to track over live drums? Or to look at it another way. Are there PA sized powered cabinets that you can accurately mix with?

Oh, and under $2000?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you'll get current generation, active studio monitors that do that for that price. Studio mains are powerful like PA speakers, but cost like $20-40k each.... I think you are already answering your question. Nearfields rarely play much over 100dB SPL. When they are 3-6ft from your face - that is VERY loud. Getting over loud drums isn't something nearfields are asked to do.

Playing over loud drums is the reason we have headphones.

Decades ago I got to sit in the engineer's chair at Maximus Studio in Fresno CA and listen to playback of a mix done on a pair of synced Studer 2" 24 track tape recorders zipping along at 30ips.

From what I could tell by the appearance and the sound, the monitors were more or less glorified Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater types - 15" woofer in a huge horn loaded box with a single honking mudrange/treeble horn driver above the woofer in each cabinet. It still sounded amazing but I didn't care for the speakers and it was way too loud - even for my numbed senses (my Mesa Boogie half stack days, I don't miss them!!!!).

I think it's better to track and mix at lower volumes. Headphones will allow you to listen as loud as you want and adjust the mix to suit your purpose.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...