Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moat famous songs with DX7 e-piano

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really. Really? :D Might be easier to ask which ones didn't.

Most famous n popular: um... (I really disliked that sound and thus a lot of the music featuring it....so much so I started playing bass)....

Anything by Chicago in that era maybe?

Wind beneath my wings?

Miami Vice?

billy Ocean?

Luther Vandross.

I'm sure some toto is in there.

I th ink I have a serious mental block about that sound.

I know it's not famous, but Goodness n Mercy, Santana.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Hard to say what is a specifically DX7. More often than not famous tracks probably used TX816s ... but in a very generic sense Tony nailed it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Just off the top of my head.

'Next time I fall in love' Peter Cetera and Amy Grant

'Best for Last' Vanessa Williams

'Hard habit to break' Chicago

'Saving all my love for you' Whitney Houston

'One more night' Phil Collins

'The finer things' Steve Winwood

'Sweetest Taboo' Sade

If you are my age, this should trigger a slew of additional songs.

"For instance" is not proof.

Seinfeld was done on a Korg M1.

The keyboard he's playing in the video is a Kurzweil. (Though it's not impossible that he could be triggering something else, he couldn't have done the mouth-drum samples on an M1.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you want to be international. Never too fun to have an English-centric list.

Even though the keyboard players have a Rhodes and an SH-101, the keys here are from a DX7.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Thanks for posting this Mike - I just finished watching the last season of Seinfeld again over the weekend and had always assumed it was a 'real' bass used.

The keyboard he's playing in the video is a Kurzweil. (Though it's not impossible that he could be triggering something else, he couldn't have done the mouth-drum samples on an M1.)

haha, super tough crowd, from reverb.com (5th keyboard down ):

https://reverb.com/news/which-synth-was-it

Well, there's no doubt that he's playing a Kurzweil in the video. So if the Kurz didn't have that sound, then I guess he could have been triggering an M1, or could even have resampled the M1 into the Kurz...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Greatest Love Of All takes the cake for me. It also fits excellently in the song. I think it's been processed and possibly layered but it's the sound.

[video:youtube]

Yes, I'm one of the sorry souls who really likes the DX electric piano and always will. It probably helps that I didn't grow up hearing it 24/7 in the '80s.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hi all,

Can you help compile a list of the most famous and popular songs of the 80s that heavily featured the iconic (and over-used) DX7 e-piano sound?

For use as a video topic, so thanks in advance.

Anything that Robbie Buchanan played keyboard on after 1983, which by itself is already a huge list of Pop/Bolero/Smooth Jazz songs.

Luckily, Robbie did an excellent job compiling the list of tunes he had a hand in creating: https://robbiebuchanan.com/discography/

Robbie was so prolific that his famous TX816 sound is instantly recognizable and remains a staple in Pop history. Keyboardist around the world have been searching for Robbie's secret sauce for decades, the closest programming (that's an understatement, it's a sonic exact match) I've heard comes from Urs Wiesendanger and Audio Lounge: https://soundcloud.com/user-825056984/sets/rhodes-affair-demo.

Technically, Robbie layers 2 to 4 modules on his TX816 (and occasionally adds an MKS-20 or a Rhodes). But we can simply consider that equivalent to a few DX7s, so his sound still fits your quest for "DX7 e-piano sound".

Hope that's helpful, I'm looking forward to your new contents.

If you take this really literally, then IMO it's really tough to pinpoint the exact uses of the DX7 Mk1 exact "E.Piano" factory ROM preset. That would mean releases around 1983, 1984. After that it was probably the TX816. Or people started to at least tweak that factory sound a little bit.

Regarding the Seinfeld bass, I recall it's not an M1 either. Yes, the M1 has those similar types of lame sampled slap bass sounds, but it's not from there. I recall that it's actually 360 Systems MIDI Bass: https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/360-systems/midi-bass-r1296/

Personally, I would've said Chicago' "Stay The Night" with the wobbly EP sound. In one FM library, there's even a patch called STAYTHENIGHT... [video:youtube]

Billy Ocean

Chaka Khan

Gregory Abbott - DX7 E-Piano & Harmonica (probably just as ubiquitous)

Kenny Loggins

Al Jarreau - With David Foster on DX1

haha, super tough crowd, from reverb.com (5th keyboard down ):

https://reverb.com/news/which-synth-was-it

Well, there's no doubt that he's playing a Kurzweil in the video. So if the Kurz didn't have that sound, then I guess he could have been triggering an M1, or could even have resampled the M1 into the Kurz...?

I trigger all of my synths with my yamaha P200 in my studio, being a piano player. Not uncommon. Maybe he just digs using 'Colonel Kurtz' as a master controller. He wouldn"t be the first.

I trigger all of my synths with my yamaha P200 in my studio, being a piano player. Not uncommon. Maybe he just digs using 'Colonel Kurtz' as a master controller. He wouldn"t be the first.

And here's yet another possibility...

https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/seinfeld-bass

Tony Banks had a DX7 in the studio (not sure if he had a TX as well). There's several sections here where the EP is prominent. At other times, it's clearly layered with a CP70 and other Pads.

I don't know if you'd call this a mega hit, but it was all over the radio.