Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential resumes Prophet 5, Prophet 10

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might try and pick up a P5 in a few years if the secondhand price is reasonable.

But what are the chances of Dave and Tom doing a reissue of the OBXa? Or is the P5 a one off? Behringer must be close to finishing the UBXa. Would be great to see a real Oberheim coming out first.

back in the day I always wanted the prophet 5, but never got around to getting one. right now with the synths and plug-ins I have and the price of $3,500.00 for the 5, I will definitely pass. I might go for the pro 800 when it comes out.

I saw (a part of) a video comparing a vintage 5 with P6, sort of making the point a 6 can do all the presets of the 5. I had the feeling the general sound, tone, and subtlety and some strange sound surprises were on the side of the 5. I listened on a (good audio) pad, so not the full monty of monitoring I'm used to but it's an interesting question if there is the possibility to write computer programs to do patch conversion.

T

I saw (a part of) a video comparing a vintage 5 with P6, sort of making the point a 6 can do all the presets of the 5. I had the feeling the general sound, tone, and subtlety and some strange sound surprises were on the side of the 5. I listened on a (good audio) pad, so not the full monty of monitoring I'm used to but it's an interesting question if there is the possibility to write computer programs to do patch conversion.

T

Yes, we went through the presets on ProfD's P6 and thought the sounds were close enough.

P5 Rev 4 has different oscillator chip and different filters compared to P6, however, as detailed on the Sequential site. Whether those differences matter is up to the individual's ear, budget, etc.

Them chips are analog chips of let's say overseeable complexity, though it may well be the manufacturing process is dictated by external parameters such that it's hard to get transistors with the same characteristics like a certain batch of chips. Then there's the desire to *exactly* provide the same sound parameters to the buyer, maybe that last step of making the P5 relive was considered more expensive by the maker.

In all honesty I didn't like the sound differences on the side of the P6 in the (partial) vid I saw: more wanky, less subtle, and harsher, of course mabe the P6 can do more, though.

I've also wondered in the past why I've never seen an example of a P5 actually producing Pro One sounds, even though that's supposed to be one voice of it, I always found the Pro One mesmerizing in some senses.

T

I've also wondered in the past why I've never seen an example of a P5 actually producing Pro One sounds, even though that's supposed to be one voice of it, I always found the Pro One mesmerizing in some senses.

Some good related info can be found at...

https://secretlifeofsynthesizers.com/sequential-pro-1/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/500921-how-does-pro-one-differ-prophet-5-a.html

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Them chips are analog chips of let's say overseeable complexity, though it may well be the manufacturing process is dictated by external parameters such that it's hard to get transistors with the same characteristics like a certain batch of chips. Then there's the desire to *exactly* provide the same sound parameters to the buyer, maybe that last step of making the P5 relive was considered more expensive by the maker.

In all honesty I didn't like the sound differences on the side of the P6 in the (partial) vid I saw: more wanky, less subtle, and harsher, of course mabe the P6 can do more, though.

Sure, what is "close enough" for some people, may not be "close enough" for others. That is the nature of subjectivity.

Another factor to be considered is that Revs 1, 2, and 3 of the Prophet all reportedly sound different from one another. I see some people call the P5 reissue "Rev 4" although I don't see that designation on the Sequential site.

I see some people call the P5 reissue "Rev 4" although I don't see that designation on the Sequential site.

The official sequential release video that went through the Prophet 5 history called it a Rev 4, didn't it?

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I see some people call the P5 reissue "Rev 4" although I don't see that designation on the Sequential site.

The official sequential release video that went through the Prophet 5 history called it a Rev 4, didn't it?

Just noticed they did add "Rev4" to the Specs page. It's tucked away in the Vintage Knob section.

I bought a Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 brand new in 1981. I paid $3200 back then. The good news is it still works fine, I only had it serviced twice in all the years I owned that instrument. So far I've read a lot of speculation on this thread, but I find the complaining about the $3500 price tag laughable. Do the math between what I paid in 1981 dollars to $3500 in today's dollars. From what I've been finding out with this new rendition, it sounds like a BARGAIN to me.

I heard numerous demos of the Prophet 6 on the internet. There is always going to be a compromise when comparing an internet demo to a live demo, but the one thing I did notice is that the Prophet 6 was somewhat brighter than my Prophet 5. I also read comparisons of the overall tone of the Prophet 6 by younger folks as having a better frequency range than the original P5, and some of the "kids" said the original P5 was "Dark"

Hmm...........Over the years I have found the P5 a excellent substitute for many of the instruments we were all using at that time and find it is still very musical today. I have been able to reproduce what I wanted within reason. I got more than my money's worth from my investment.

I have confidence in the products that Dave Smith builds, and if I were still playing gigs in my ripe old age, I would probably own at least one other Sequential KB today in addition to my P5.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I find the complaining about the $3500 price tag laughable. Do the math between what I paid in 1981 dollars to $3500 in today's dollars. From what I've been finding out with this new rendition, it sounds like a BARGAIN to me.

But you might also consider how much cheaper today´s more precise and more powerful electronic components and the production process are !

What made electronic instruments w/ user memory expensive in the past was every kb of RAM necessary for the unit.

RAM was insanely expensive and today is nuts.

All digital stuff was expensive at that time and unreliable in addition.

I was happy when I didn´t had to tour w/ Prophet 5 and OB-8 anymore !

Already the Roland MKS80 rev4 and Oberheim Xpander made life easier, beginning w/ better/tighter MIDI and better reliability.

And I was also happy about leaving these non-velocity sensitive keyboard actions behind,- using the DX7 and KX88 keybeds instead.

I always hated the Prophet´s Pratt-Read J-wire action and the OB-8´s was not much better as also not the one in a Memorymoog or other.

From all the old analog synths, I only like the Minimoog D´s Pratt-Read contact spring action,- WHEN maintained well.

I also don´t understand this "vintage gear sound" direct comparison nitpick much.

When a sound fits the tune, works well in a playback/mix and is playable,- who gives a damn about where it comes from ?

I think the DSI/Sequential Prophet-6 is a good sounding analog instrument offering more polyphony and more features,- FX included.

I only hate the lack of a 61-keys action,- but OTOH appreciate it´s available as a desktop unit too.

:-)

A.C.

Progress in the Electronic industries bring lower costs when there is mass production, and high demand from end users. I had Oberheim's and the Prophet 5 for my live show, generally they were very reliable. The reason? I bought flight cases for my KB's and I was the only one that handled them, ever. I handled them with kid gloves, They were delicate and I treated them as such, One time Arlo Guthrie was playing at Penn State University, and he was staying at the local Holiday Inn where I was playing, He saw what keys I was using and when I was finished for the night he came over said that the KB player in his band was using on OBX like mine and they were experiencing some voices being either out of tune all the time or some voices being an octave higher than the other other voices.

The first thing I told him was to 'Fire your roadies" It was apparent that their Oberheim was being banged around, and the Osc were being knocked out of tune,.I told him that I could calibrate his OBX for him, as I carried a Conn Strobe Tuner with me and the necessary tools, but I needed TIME to do it, it was not a 15 minute service situation. Being that I didn't have to calibrate my own synths very often, I was SLOW at performing the service. I asked him how much longer he was staying in State College, he was leaving the next day. I told him he would have to check the OBX into a Service Center to get it calibrated, auto tune wouldn't fix the problem. National and International acts were at the mercy if airlines, it was a no win situation unless you could service your own equipment,

Back in the dark ages, that was the way it was.

As far as KB actions, yep, synth actions have come a long way. Non Velocity sensitive KB's were spartan, but that's what we had.

As far as cost, KB players are SPOILED. Price? How about the Moog One? We want mountains of features but expect manufactures to have Behringer Pricing, Otherwise we whine. Then collectively we sit and wonder why some manf go out of business.Keyboards is a shrinking market. Too many young people would rather play with their cell phones.

Cheers,

Mike T..

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the pleasure of talking to Matt on the latest podcast and he was certainly pumped about the Prophet 10 :thu: I'd kill for one but way outside my price range sadly.

I forgot how many here are early adopters, but just in case:

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2020/10/new-sequential-prophet-5-prophet-10.html

Much respect for Dave for taking the issue by the horns and owning up to the issue ... I"m sure all will be taken care of and owners will be happy ... now to save up my $$

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

[Much respect for Dave for taking the issue by the horns and owning up to the issue

Not sure he had much choice. I've heard several owners of older units commenting on the difference.

dB

I think what Chris is getting at is another company might have either denied the problem, ignored the problem, or take like 6 months to address the problem.

That problem of course being the highs that people say they can hear in the older units, that are missing in the reissues because of the two capacitors.

If we only patronized companies that never make any mistakes, we would not own any synths.

Sequential is handling the situation the right way, imo.

We have to stop splitting hairs. WHY does a re-issue have to be and EXACT COPY? If there are any differences WE are the only ones that might notice, or not.

I had thought that the Prophet 6 had more highs than my original Prophet 5. Big deal. It is still a great synth and SOUNDS like a Prophet, because it is.

I have no doubt that the re-issue will be an excellent value, and will have a WARRANTY. enough already.

Mike T.

We have to stop splitting hairs. WHY does a re-issue have to be and EXACT COPY? If there are any differences WE are the only ones that might notice, or not.

I had thought that the Prophet 6 had more highs than my original Prophet 5. Big deal. It is still a great synth and SOUNDS like a Prophet, because it is.

I have no doubt that the re-issue will be an excellent value, and will have a WARRANTY. enough already.

Mike T.

I'll never be able to split hairs because I don't own a vintage Prophet 5 to compare against a new one and have no intention of ever buying a vintage one.

I shared the article because I thought it was news that is very much on-topic for this thread.

Here is the word direct from Dave Smith himself

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4747.0.html

I was speaking in general, I was not referring to your Posts. The "Kids" on that "Other" website that is based in the EU expect identical copies of vintage synths, then whine about any modern features that were added that the originals didn't have. I got tired of the kinder garden and closed my account on the website. There are way too many people that post on line that just want to argue.

We have adults here.

Cheers,

Mike T.