Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recommendation for 37 or 49 key midi controller?

I play live gigs at church as well as with my jazz combo. I use a Casio PX1000 for piano and a korg microkey 37 for synth and organ sounds (sound apps thru iPad). The microkey is ok for chords and simple runs but I need a full sized key bed for more complex riffs and improv. I think 37 keys is enough for me. I really don't need cc controls on the board as I'm using a Korg NanoKontrol2 for that.

I would be very interested in thoughts about what keyboard might fit my needs- something simple with a light touch and full-sized keys. Not using this for recording- just live gigging. Here's a pic of my current rig: g9e5nbTyPwXQTzMh8

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you use a Microkey for synth & organ, how do you get by without an expression pedal? If that's a criterion for the new controller, that narrows the field considerably. As well, if you expect to sit the controller on top of the PX1000, you probably need something without a lot of depth. And what's your budget?

If you require a narrow depth, expression pedal, reasonable action, I'd look at a Roland A-300 Pro or A-500 Pro.

Here for the gear.

If you use a Microkey for synth & organ, how do you get by without an expression pedal? If that's a criterion for the new controller, that narrows the field considerably. As well, if you expect to sit the controller on top of the PX1000, you probably need something without a lot of depth. And what's your budget?

If you require a narrow depth, expression pedal, reasonable action, I'd look at a Roland A-300 Pro or A-500 Pro.

Microkey volume is controlled through the NanoKontol2 and leslie fast/slow through a sustain pedal which is plugged into an Audiofront MidiExpression switchbox.

A new keyboard will definitely not fit on top of the Casio so I will need to upgrade to a 2-tier stand.

I have an IK Multimedia Keys 37 Pro and the companion case for it. Really designed to hook up to an iPad (there is room in the case for everything I need to travel light except the amplifier/speaker). The Pro does have full size keys. Not very many control sliders/knobs.

I also had a Samson Carbon 49 MIDI controller, it worked very well for my needs with the iPad; but I gave it to a grand-daughter (and then got the 61 key version. Bit more freedom to play both bass and treble, but not as compact.

Both are light weight.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Get the Keys 37 Pro 2 instead - it can act as a regular MIDI controller whereas the original only uses IK"s proprietary cords. The original might work just as well for your iPad purposes, but I figure why not add rig flexibility? I had the first one but upgraded when I realized the new model can plug into anything as a stand-alone controller. The 2 fits (tightly) into the case they sell for the first one.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

May be too late, but in a similar situation I settled on a yamaha MX49 - like you, don't need lots of controller buttons and sliders (I also use a nanokontrol studio and audiofront midi box if needed for volume, with iOS organs) and you also get onboard sounds and usb-audio with the mx49.

So now I have the gx49. Seems well built, fits nicely in my setup. I really like the minimalist layout of the controls. BUT, the spring action of the keys if pretty strong. I had hoped for a keybed that would be a light touch suitable for synth and organ leads. Even though it's not a weighted keyboard, it takes at least as much force to depress the keys as my Casio PX. I'm wondering if I should send it back to Sweetwater and get something else. Hate to pay return shipping and restocking fee, but I don't want to end up with something that I don't enjoy playing.

There are other 49 key midi controllers out there.Almost bought the M-Audio Keystation....It's really a gamble buying something sight unseen, but living i a rural area far from a large music store, I don't have many options.

To sum up, I'm looking for a 49 key midi controller for live gigging with a compact layout, minimal controls needed, and a light touch. I would like to stay under $150 if possible.

Thoughts?

If you can find an old Korg Kontrol 49 they have a great synth action feel, much like an old MiniMoog. On the extreme other end, I've owned a couple Novations that drove me crazy. The keys had an audible bounce that would throw off my timing.

If the touch is anything like the Nanokey, that's what I'm looking for. There are some Korg 49's out there but I don't need all those controls and as a rule I don't purchase used midi keyboards. Perfect would be an upscale Nanokey with 49 full sized keys. Oh well. Right now I'm leaning toward the Roland A-49.

The Samson Carbon 49 is minimal knobs, had a decent synth feel that wasn't too heavy, and just enough controls to be useful. Also modest price (I think they still make them). If I hadn't liked it, I wouldn't have bought the Samson 61.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim