Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-88

I've looked into some options for app-based data entry to improve that and patch selection, but so far nothing fits the bill. MIDI Commander for Android works okay with my RD, but doesn't quite do what I'm seeking - namely to simply enter single patch changes in real time (or at least spin a data wheel at warp speed :laugh:). It appears that there are a couple closer, iOS-based solutions. Unfortunately The RD88 is not USB/MIDI compatable with iOS devices, so a no-go there for now.

I'm really surprised that the RD88 does not send MIDI over USB to an iOS device, but rather than it being a no-go, why not just use the 5-pin MIDI jacks to the iOS device? That always works.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

... Unfortunately The RD88 is not USB/MIDI compatable with iOS devices, so a no-go there for now.

I'm really surprised that the RD88 does not send MIDI over USB to an iOS device, but rather than it being a no-go, why not just use the 5-pin MIDI jacks to the iOS device? That always works.

I'm using a Roland UM-1 MK2, MIDI to USB adapter. That works great for getting MIDI data from the RD to the iPad - when playing software instrument apps, etc., but the return trip doesn't happen - as the RD doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI In; and any iOS app sending patch change commands would require that. MIDI over USB does work both ways when connecting the RD to my Android phone (using a USB A to USB C adapter); but I haven't been able to get that to work connecting via USB to my iPad Air 2 (Using Apple's Camera Connector Kit). One user here did report making that connection, but Roland tech support couldn't confirm that capability. Maybe I'm missing something? Google searches so far only connect me to sales links for the RD-88, or a older, general report on USB connection for various Roland instruments. Nada on current specific USB-MIDI applications with the RD-88. Like manufacturing and distribution, I suspect that application info has also been impacted by the pandemic. But if anyone else here has had a successful MIDI connection between the RD-88 and an iOS device, it'd be great to hear further about that.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

as the RD doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI In

Ah, that explains it! It didn't occur to me that the RD88 wouldn't have a MIDI In.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Geez....you have no midi in ?

It seems that in some ways manufacturing is going backwards.

You have to pay a lot of money to get a decent key bed these days . Some of the sounds are good...but for me the PHA 4 would take some getting used to.

I do like the price point of the RD88 and would love to hear the sound set

Is there a 5 pin midi out?

Right now...using RD300 GX as a controller for Yamaha MX49. Use the 49 as a module basically.

Because the 300 GX has almost infinite touch sensitivity it improves the MX acoustic pianos somewhat.

300 GX is 10 years old now and there are no issues! They dont make them like they used to?

You have to pay a lot of money to get a decent key bed these days . Some of the sounds are good...but for me the PHA 4 would take some getting used to.

Right now...using RD300 GX as a controller for Yamaha MX49. Use the 49 as a module basically.

Because the 300 GX has almost infinite touch sensitivity it improves the MX acoustic pianos somewhat.

300 GX is 10 years old now and there are no issues! They dont make them like they used to?

Thankfully there is a 5-pin MIDI Out. But after a few days, 45 views and no replies to my USB-MIDI query on the Roland Clan Forum, I suspect that fellow users are also in the dark about USB-MIDI / iOS compatability. Seems the same with Roland support; so I'm going to go with USB-MIDI on the RD-88 not being usable for my application. Still love the sounds and playability, but the messy MIDI/USB integration plus my concerns about the interface are coloring that.

Sadly, I'm now taking a considered look at the PX-560. Listening to some demos/tutorials from Mike Martin and Roger Hooper. Pretty strong sounding, so far. And the RD-88's interface is no competition whatsoever. This could be a tough call.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Thankfully there is a 5-pin MIDI Out. But after a few days, 45 views and no replies to my USB-MIDI query on the Roland Clan Forum, I suspect that fellow users are also in the dark about USB-MIDI / iOS compatability. Seems the same with Roland support; so I'm going to go with USB-MIDI on the RD-88 not being usable for my application. Still love the sounds and playability, but the messy MIDI/USB integration plus my concerns about the interface are coloring that.

Sadly, I'm now taking a considered look at the PX-560. Listening to some demos/tutorials from Mike Martin and Roger Hooper. Pretty strong sounding, so far. And the RD-88's interface is no competition whatsoever. This could be a tough call.

Just to reiterate - I have had no issues using usb-midi on my rd-88 (I use neosoulkeys and galileo2 but also tested on others). Very happy to discuss in further detail, as I will also be interested in any limitations, and also, when usb-midi clarified, onto usb-audio which I canNOT get to work in iOS, as opposed to my Yamahas!)

(I use iphone and ipad mini, both on latest iOS - camera connect (or korg plug, but that's easier with DIN midi) - separate 5v power to hub. RD-88 set on "generic" usb).

Apologies if I have misunderstood the relevant issue

Peter

I still haven't seen an RD88 in the flesh, but I do like the PX560. The Casio has a bunch of advatanges... now I have to add "MIDI IN" to the list. ;-) Others include a really strong interface for splits/layers and patch selection, the ability to split/layer 4 (rather than 3) sounds (or even more with hexlayers), full on-board sound editing, built in sequencer and arranger functions. The main things I think you lose from the Roland are MIDI zoning, the ability to set synth sounds for monophonic key triggering, 8 assignable knobs (vs. 3), the ability for different split/layered sounds to have their own insert effects, and the ability to name scenes (the equivalent on the Casio, registrations, only have numbers, you can't name them). So each has some real strengths compared to the other.

A non-obvious trick on the PX-560 is that you can save patches in any category you want (except that hexlayers always go in the hexlayer category). So if you want one screen with your favorite patches from across all categories (e.g. piano, EP, organ, strings, brass, etc.), you can move copies of those sounds into the user area of any one category and then have all your favorite sounds in the same place.

I tried a couple of different approaches tonight, and finally got USB-MIDI to work from the RD-88 to the iPad. So that's one problem solved. Now to look for a simple iOS-based MIDI app with a numeric keypad that can send individual program changes (a cursor dial and buttons n' faders work be great too). An external, software programmer - similar to the one for the VR-09 - would be awesome; but from what I've been told, further support like that for the RD-88 is unlikely. I suspect that Roland is focused more on a simplified, budget redux of the Fantom - to replace the FA series :laugh:.

Keep us posted, Allan!

Well, that was weird: I liked your post, Fleer, but somehow toggled the 'Like' button several times :laugh:

I'm beginning to check out iOS-based Midi control options. So far have looked at MidiDesigner Pro 2 and Lemur, and just noticed TouchOSC. Any suggestions from KC users of these apps or similar ones would be much appreciated.

Following the developments with interest, Allan! I'm considering an RD-88 for a scaled down/lighter rig, but the patch selection thing presents a substantial limitation, especially against the backdrop of being rather spoiled from using the Set List feature in the Kronos. But if there is a quick/efficient way of connecting an iPad and it "plays nice" with the RD for patch selection, I could probably deal with that.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm beginning to check out iOS-based Midi control options. So far have looked at MidiDesigner Pro 2 and Lemur, and just noticed TouchOSC. Any suggestions from KC users of these apps or similar ones would be much appreciated.

I've had fun with MidiDesigner (and also a basic one - Knob Lab) but I prefer a hardware solution for gigs (if they ever come again!), as when I used mididesigner on a gig, my (sweaty) fingers didn't always make good contact, particularly on sliders, and it uses up a tablet, which I need for charts. I now use a NanoKontrol Studio - works by usb or by bluetooth, and I can say that it works a treat ("midi learn" on the apps is great)

Peter

I've had fun with MidiDesigner (and also a basic one - Knob Lab) but I prefer a hardware solution for gigs (if they ever come again!), as when I used mididesigner on a gig, my (sweaty) fingers didn't always make good contact, particularly on sliders, and it uses up a tablet, which I need for charts. I now use a NanoKontrol Studio - works by usb or by bluetooth, and I can say that it works a treat ("midi learn" on the apps is great)

Peter

Thank you; very helpful info! I just opened pages for the Knob Lab and NanoKontrol. One big question in all of this is how to go about setting up a knob, slider or pair of buttons to scroll through the Scenes and Tones in the RD-88. While CC 00 is bank select, program change doesn't appear to be sent as continous controller.

From reading so far, it appears the NanoKontrol 2 can't send live program changes via a dedicated knob, slider or its data wheel. I'm specifically trying to find a way to get a knob, slider - or even button select up/down (at least a back up for the RD's front panel, should that only method of data entry fail/wear out) - to facilitate Scene or Tone changes. I wonder if Knob Lab, MidiDesigner, Lemur or TouchOSC could do this? Guessing it might be sysex related..

So far have looked at MidiDesigner Pro 2 and Lemur, and just noticed TouchOSC.

Those apps might have you feeling more like a software developer than a musician.

Here are 3 apps that are bit more "on the nose" for MIDI routing.

1. iMIDIPatchBay - https://www.imidipatchbay.com

2. MIDI Flow - https://www.midiflow.com * also has plug-ins for Audiobus 3.

3. Korg Gadget (Tapei MIDI Out plug-in) - https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/

... and there is basic MIDI functionality in both Audiobus and AUM.

Peter

Thank you; very helpful info! I just opened pages for the Knob Lab and NanoKontrol. One big question in all of this is how to go about setting up a knob, slider or pair of buttons to scroll through the Scenes and Tones in the RD-88. While CC 00 is bank select, program change doesn't appear to be sent as continous controller.

From reading so far, it appears the NanoKontrol 2 can't send live program changes via a dedicated knob, slider or its data wheel. I'm specifically trying to find a way to get a knob, slider - or even button select up/down (at least a back up for the RD's front panel, should that only method of data entry fail/wear out) - to facilitate Scene or Tone changes. I wonder if Knob Lab, MidiDesigner, Lemur or TouchOSC could do this? Guessing it might be sysex related..

Although I haven't needed to do MIDI program/patch changes through a computer since the 1980s (that's another story), I checked today using mididesigner with my RD-88 - no problem changing "live sets" using MSB/LSB/PC (the "message type" in mididesigner to use is Bank/Prog Change) and I looked up the implementation in the RD-88 Sound List document (MSB 85; LSB 0,1 or 2; PC etc.). I'm sure all the other relevant apps must be able to do it in a similar way. (I think the rd88 usb driver needs to be set "generic" with iOS)

Peter

Here are 3 apps that are bit more "on the nose" for MIDI routing.

1. iMIDIPatchBay - https://www.imidipatchbay.com

2. MIDI Flow - https://www.midiflow.com * also has plug-ins for Audiobus 3.

3. Korg Gadget (Tapei MIDI Out plug-in) - https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/

Also Keystage and Camelot Pro.

I wasn't familiar with Tapei, so I headed to the site, where they describe it this way: "Taipei is an external MIDI devices control gadget that will add freely control and generate." Wow. That's bad even by typical Japanese documentation standards.

Update, well sort of... MidiDesigner Pro 2 does work capably - with 3rd-party designed Layouts. The RD-2000 Layout is extensive, and is well put together. I connected with the designer of that Layout, and they started putting together an RD-88 Layout. I received an incomplete version of that this morning as a beta layout, and that's when things went down the grandparent of all rabbit holes - where I currently reside. I've solved some twisted problems, but this has been like driving to the SubSahara on side roads. Not sure yet if it's a file recognition issue within the iPad, or something that MidiDesignerPro 2 is missing. I've dug through and tested three different scenarios, and started asking questions over at the MidiDesigner forums. Manwhile I'm keeping the designer in the loop, who's also added a few suggestions of his own.

Brain is toast, plus I have an early gig tomorrow. Will likely not get back to this til late tomorrow, or Monday AM. Will keep all of you posted about this bizarre little journey..

With mididesigner "supercontrols", I understand you can use hardware controllers to trigger any feasible rd-88 function - I'll try it later with scene changes through my nanokontrol.

Interesting. I wonder if that would allow the data dial on the Nanocontrol to scroll through Scenes and Tones on the RD-88. That's likely my biggest gripe about the RD. If Roland had included a dial as well it would've been very helpful; or alternatively being able to assign a knob to data functions.

• 2 weeks later...
Question for Allan or any other RD88 owner... Do sustained/decaying sounds persist through a sound change, or do they get cut off? (i.e. does it have what Roland has called Patch Remain etc.) And if so, is it totally smooth even when switching to a scene with very different effects, or might there be audible glitches?

Great. I suspected it would, Roland has generally been good there, but I'm glad to see it confrimed!

I'm kind of surprised that they don't seem to reference it on the web site or manual (unless I missed it), as it would seem to be a competitive advantage over some arguably competitive boards in the same price range, like a Yamaha MX88 or Korg Kross 88. They are not direct competitors (not marketed as "stage pianos" or models with speakers), but there is enough functional overlap that some potential customers could be considering them as well.

AnotherScott,

R u considering picking one of these up? I keep saying the same thing about it, for the money, it"s really hard to beat.

Nah, thankfully it doesn't tempt me away from what I already have, I just like to keep up on these things. ;-)

The MODX keybeds are ... pretty cheap.

Unfortunately The RD88 is not USB/MIDI compatable with iOS devices, so a no-go there for now.

Have you tried setting the USB driver on the RD88 to 'Generic'? I have a lot of Roland gear and always have to set it to Generic to get it to work with my iPad. That should get MIDI to work though I think you wont get audio through USB with that driver.

The MODX keybeds are ... pretty cheap.

Unfortunately The RD88 is not USB/MIDI compatable with iOS devices, so a no-go there for now.

Have you tried setting the USB driver on the RD88 to 'Generic'? I have a lot of Roland gear and always have to set it to Generic to get it to work with my iPad. That should get MIDI to work though I think you wont get audio through USB with that driver.

Yes, and I did get the RD-88 to communicate via USB-Midi. Initially it did work fine with my Android phone (via USB-C adapter), but getting it to connect with my iPad Air 2 was messy. I played around with the connection and power-up sequence, plus swapped out the USB cable; finally got it to work. So far, so good.

Glad to see you got it to work, es. since I couldn't see any reason to expect that it wouldn't. One more possible variable... I have found that the iPad can have trouble working with MIDI devices when the iPad's power is low.

Still fiddling with the PHA 4 action at Costco.

How do you like the key texture ? That us one thing I am noticing...its different.

Dont know if I will be seeing RD 88 anytime soon.. For Now Costco about the only game in town for anything Roland