Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Duped! Nord Electro 2 doesn't have CP70 sample!

Thursday throwback for those who own(ed) a Nord Electro 2.

I have a NE2 I still use as a rehearsal board and (oh my gosh has the pandemic really brought me to this!?!) I was re-reading the User Manual today.

Who remembers the six sounds in the Piano section? Stage Rhodes, Suitcase Rhodes, Wurli, Clav, CP70, and a (very unpopular) acoustic piano, right? Wrong!

The "Electric Grand" is a "custom modified 1934 Garbstedt acoustic grand piano fitted with CP-80 pick-ups." What?!?! I'm hoping you guys can join me in a Mandela Effect false memory because I am certain my NE2 had a CP-70 sample and not this Frankenstein thing the manual describes.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there two versions of "Electric Grand"? The ElGrand1 is the proper CP we all know....the one you're referring to is the "ElGrand2" I believe? I had to look up the details, but I always used the 1 in the rare case I needed the CP70/80 sound. I don't think I ever knew the details of the 2. Interesting choice for sure..maybe they just needed to fill the slot with second similar sound?

And yes the acoustic piano was kinda weak....but in a band setting? Not as bad!

I have a NE5d, and at times I miss the simplicity of the 2. A classic board for sure....

Aren't there two versions of "Electric Grand"? The ElGrand1 is the proper CP we all know....the one you're referring to is the "ElGrand2" I believe? I had to look up the details, but I always used the 1 in the rare case I needed the CP70/80 sound. I don't think I ever knew the details of the 2. Interesting choice for sure..maybe they just needed to fill the slot with second similar sound?

Oh, maybe that's it. I was quoting from the Version 3.0 user manual. Perhaps earlier versions used a CP70 sample but, by 3.0, Nord had "upgraded" to this different electric grand as the preloaded default.

And yes the acoustic piano was kinda weak....but in a band setting? Not as bad!

I don't mind it in a band setting either, especially after a little EQ. But I remember it was derided by many, especially in comparison to the quality of the other sounds. Nord even marketed the acoustic piano as a "bonus" sound, perhaps to lower expectations.

I have a NE5d, and at times I miss the simplicity of the 2. A classic board for sure....

I've heard others say this. I was a jam session with an old-school guy with an NE4 who mused out loud about trading his NE4 for my NE2 because he "just couldn't figure out the NE4"

Here's the page where Nord desvcribes the two Electric Grands available for that Electro:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-electro-2/electric-grand-pianos

and yes, it does look like, they chose the second one for the factory pre-load, according to https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/product-libraries/stage-pianos/nord-electro-2/nord-electro-2-factory-sounds

My guess is that this was the factory pre-load for the last shipped versions, but earlier versions may have shipped with a different set of default sounds. Note that on that page they have a zipped single download file if you want to restore the entire factory set, and that file is labeled version 3.0 so there were definitely earlier versions, so it is certainly possible that the earlier versions used some different sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)