Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Austrian Channeling Keith Jarrett

Such an under-recognized player with only 300 Youtube views on this exquisite piece, (and 3 morons who gave thumbs-down)

Played at 80% of its original speed, Michael's recording is indistinguishable from Keith's classic live performances and touches me in every way Keith does.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice interpretation, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad it touches you, and reminds you of KJ.

For me, I can hear some of the elements that remind you of Jarrett in this version. It is clear this player owes a debt and is influenced by Jarrett's body or work - but then so are we all, any player in the genre who has spent any time marveling at Keith's mind and playing.

And that is where the rub is for me - I listen to this very fine version of this song (which reminds me of Nat King Cole), and cannot help but also be reminded how much more Jarrett is than so many fine players. So many more ideas, and approaches, and when he chose this lyrical route, how much more deeply and amazingly he played such deeply moving and emotive things with such passion and verve, and finally with a voice that remains uniquely his.

I'm not familiar with this present player's work before, and I appreciate what he's done here. And what it brings to mind for me, at least, is in that New York Times interview recently posted, KJ noted, "I feel like I'm the John Coltrane of the piano" - I smiled because, well, Jarrett was never one to sell himself and his contribution short. And someday, with the perspective of time (I think it's too early) we may all look back and agree with that appraisal. And there has never been another Coltrane. At present, I feel the same way about Keith.

Very nice interpretation, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad it touches you, and reminds you of KJ.

For me, I can hear some of the elements that remind you of Jarrett in this version. It is clear this player owes a debt and is influenced by Jarrett's body or work - but then so are we all, any player in the genre who has spent any time marveling at Keith's mind and playing.

And that is where the rub is for me - I listen to this very fine version of this song (which reminds me of Nat King Cole), and cannot help but also be reminded how much more Jarrett is than so many fine players. So many more ideas, and approaches, and when he chose this lyrical route, how much more deeply and amazingly he played such deeply moving and emotive things with such passion and verve, and finally with a voice that remains uniquely his.

I'm not familiar with this present player's work before, and I appreciate what he's done here. And what it brings to mind for me, at least, is in that New York Times interview recently posted, KJ noted, "I feel like I'm the John Coltrane of the piano" - I smiled because, well, Jarrett was never one to sell himself and his contribution short. And someday, with the perspective of time (I think it's too early) we may all look back and agree with that appraisal. And there has never been another Coltrane. At present, I feel the same way about Keith.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, brother timwat.

I couldn't have put it better than you on how Keith is in a league of his own in terms of harmony tastefulness and emotional connectiveness. The magical sounds of Bill Evans and Keith always manage to take my soul to wonderful places.

I'm glad you also hear the connection between the two tunes, brother 16251. This exact YT video you posted was actually what reminded me of Michael's tune this morning and prompted me to open this post.

I appreciate your tastes but, I'm sorry I have a different opinion and why I posted I Love You Porky. Keith's music is the highest form of creative music. Answer me, my love is not.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I'm glad you also hear the connection between the two tunes, brother 16251. This exact YT video you posted was actually what reminded me of Michael's tune this morning and prompted me to open this post.

I appreciate your tastes but, I'm sorry I have a different opinion and why I posted I Love You Porky. Keith's music is the highest form of creative music. Answer me, my love is not.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Even Michael himself discusses on his website how Keith profoundly influenced his take on music.