Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer 2600 Demo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear it"s sounds exactly like a VST.

Funny! ð I am not hearing that though. Despite how each of us might feel about Behringer"s behavior, there"s no question that some of the mono-synths they released sound like the originals though I have heard reports of fiddly MIDI implementation, CV problems etc.

It seems that individual components like filters and oscillators are close to original sonically although there are reports of the whole not always being the sum of the parts. One example is that the poly D mixer needs all four oscillators turned up to achieve the creamy quality we love in a mini. Sounds like a fairly typical gainstaging issue which can arise if one mimics individual components accurately but puts them together without adequate design of the whole.

Truth is I have followed all this from a distance because I am not in need of any more analog and there are attractive fresh ideas from smaller manufacturers hitting the market. The Ericasynths Pico synth is an intriguing semi-modular example.

Starsky Carr reviewed the Behringer Odyssey next to the Korg Odyssey. He decided to keep his Korg, but felt that Behringer made a virtually identical sound.

The 2600 is a whole degree of complexity beyond a monosynth. The sheer number of pre-wired routings alone means that you can"t just take the components from the Odyssey, add an oscillator, a filter and a spring reverb and call it a day.

So I view this as perhaps Behringer"s most serious analog engineering attempt since the Deepmind. It will be interesting to read and hear the reviews, pro and con.

I saw Apocalypse Now on release, and on acid. I guess the 2600 did much of the soundtrack. I can still hear it.

Ah to be young.....I tried the same trick with "Platoon", but it was far too realistic for LSD. It turned out to be the longest movie I ever watched, and the closest I ever came to a bad trip, TYG.

I need a good monosynth at some point, and I was thinking model D or maybe neutron. But this could be irresistible.....luckily I have plenty of little projects going so at least I can at least watch all the usual reviewers before I start salivating.

I don't doubt Uli is a nutcase, but the DM12 was the first synth I actually learned, and I use a RD-8 every day. Killer metronome. Nobody on Sonic Talk could believe the price of the 2600, and while there was some ethical posturing, half the guests confessed they were already making room.

You don't get the spring reverb or the keyboard, but the heart of the monster appears intact. Very few ever got to use a 2600, and of course Korg sold all theirs before most had a chance to count 4 grand.

I predict much hand wringing, and much orgiastic delight, albeit from different camps. The Oberheim looms. Since the 2600 is already shipping to dealers, an xmas Xa just might be brewing, or the big yamaha clone, which does not excite me as much as the 2600 or the OB, but that could change.

Maybe by Xmas the osmose I pre-ordered will appear and I will be too busy with the alien Egan interface to get sucked into Uli's evil bribery. ;)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/Aheqjl5LmII

This guys has all three.

He says basically the Behringer is better than the Korg.

This guys has all three.

And what are these guys doin´ except posting synth comparison vids to make cash w/ count of clicks and followers ?

Does anyone REALLY think, minor differences in sound of functional identical devices make any difference for success of (your) recordings, arrangements or "compositions" which today are called "beats" and/or "tracks" ?

While we live in times we can buy gear for a fraction of the price we had to pay in the past,- the quality of most music done w/ this gear is fubar.

I can only lough about all the synth collector´s driyel.

A.C.

This guys has all three.

And what are these guys doin´ except posting synth comparison vids to make cash w/ count of clicks and followers ?

Does anyone REALLY think, minor differences in sound of functional identical devices make any difference for success of (your) recordings, arrangements or "compositions" which today are called "beats" and/or "tracks" ?

While we live in times we can buy gear for a fraction of the price we had to pay in the past,- the quality of most music done w/ this gear is fubar.

A.C.

If I was considering a clone (I"m not) that claims to sound exactly like the original I"d want to know stuff like this. It"s just another data point in making a decision. Their motivation and musical objectives are irrelevant to me. I do think this is presented in an annoying kind of way. Really annoying.

While I love good sounds, at some point, all synth comparisons have the same value and importance of stamp collecting. We are all much better off spending our time writing a pithy, detailed, humorous letter than worrying and about the stamp on the envelope (generator).

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

QSG for the 2600 has low been uploaded, and contains something quite interesting in the reverb section.

NOTE: 2600 uses a digital reverb, while BLUE MARVIN features a real, on-board spring reverb

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0DNJ/2600_QSG_EN.pdf

Looks like there will be another version of the 2600 with a real spring!, I would guess it has the blue Marvin paint job too.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

While I love good sounds, at some point, all synth comparisons have the same value and importance of stamp collecting. We are all much better off spending our time writing a pithy, detailed, humorous letter than worrying and about the stamp on the envelope (generator).

exactly !

:thu:

A.C.

This guys has all three.

A.C.

Al, everyone on youtube is not the same. That guy is making nothing, because he has few followers, and doesn't really care if he gets a bunch--he does not have the time for youtube stardom, he makes clear in a later video. He makes no pretense to being the last word. He made the video because he has all of them, and not many do. It's not a slick video because the sound is not direct, and he is clear about that.

However, he is pretty specific about the differences. I guess the ARP had changes in almost every run, so what seems to have happened is Korg and Behringer picked the filter from different runs, IE the filters are not the same. He goes into why he prefers the Behringer filter over the Korg. Next, he likes the Behringer because it is self contained with all features on board. The Korg must have it's own keyboard for some features, as did the original. Finally, as to the reverb: He says the "real" reverb is very short and has little adjustablity, while the Behringer reverb is more flexible and to him it sounds better. He also notes that anyone who wants "real" reverb can buy any number of after market spring reverbs to go with the Behringer.

He is not pretending to be anyone other than a guy who happens to have all three and is willing to share his impressions. Any doubt you or others might have about that:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/P1iXwHPwxBc

But Al, you are not the only one ready to asume the worst:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/BNMoRWmVVj0

I know which of those two guys I'd rather have a beer with.

The bottomline is Korg made a clone, simply to show they could. A favor to no one but themselves. $4K if you actually knew somebody. They got huge publicity from it. Behringer cloned the guts and tweaked a few bits to make it more fun to use. We'll know soon enough just how good it is, but one thing we know right now, almost anybody could afford one if they really wanted it.

Uli may be derranged, but he is definately on the side of the plebs when it comes to products. His business practices are nothing more sinister than Apple, with it's iphone slave factories and their suicide nets. How many Uli haters are ditching their iphones or Macs?

It cracks me up how many complain about keyboard prices then have moral outrage about Behringer not behaving. Compared to Henry Ford Uli might be a saint. That said, when Uli acts outrageous, he ought to hear about it. "Shut up, and hurry up with the OBxa", would be my message. ;)

The music business (and maybe all business) has never seen a shortage of charlatans and third rails. Hammond did not want his organs used for Jazz. The only reason he wasn't sued for patent violation was that the family who controlled them was mostly dead and unaware. He knew about their patents. He forbade Hammond dealers to sell Leslie products. Good reasons to avoid Hammond products, now or then?

Why do people hate the poor guy doing the comparison? I don't get it.

I mean, I know why I hate him...he has 3 x 2600 and I have 0 x 2600. In other words, I'm jealous. However, I am sufficiently self aware to know that my hating him is rooted in my jealousy and I'm also sufficiently enlightened to get over it (mostly--just a tinge of green here and there).

Isn't the world angry enough already without people getting wigged out over a product comparison that only a handful of people in the world could pull off? There aren't that many people who have all three 2600s on hand. Two, maybe, but all three? Not a common thing at all.

So I'm going to sit here and scowl at the guy, but I do so knowing that the underlying impetus is a character flaw in yours truly, not in the guy doing the comparison. He seems like an okay guy.

No, really.

This voodoo doll I'm sticking pins in? Er...you weren't supposed to notice that...look away...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• 1 month later...

Been on my desk for 5 days now. Surprisingly well built and calibrated. Even the key tracking of the filter is spot on.

Regarding sound Rob Keeble said:

'Let me explain the design ideas I brought to the B2600. Rather than recreating a 1977 synth with 301 op amps and tired caps, why not try and recreate the 1970 version, as it was originally imagined with high speed and accurate op amps and with matched transistor pairs and the best caps.

ARP did this in the blue marvin but had to compromise component selection to achieve reliable mass production.

So thats what we made with the defects of the original design removed and the precision of the original thinking.

You cant adjust any trimmers to make the sound less tame. The sound is meant to be precise not wobbly not like a KARP, you need to detune the vcos and add some modulation and push the levels into the vcf. Its a world away from a 1977 version..its new. Its about replicating the original 1970 version, and the ideas at ARP when they started out. A blue marvin not a late model, no character has been lost its actually been regained.'

dmedz9ch.png

If the Behringer 2600 is actually available anywhere here in the US, I am unaware of it. They were showing pictures a couple of months ago, apparently of the 2600 in full production, but where those units are going, I do not know. It ain't here.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

If the Behringer 2600 is actually available anywhere here in the US, I am unaware of it. They were showing pictures a couple of months ago, apparently of the 2600 in full production, but where those units are going, I do not know. It ain't here.

Grey

Seems you are last in line and the reason for this I can only speculate.

But some sources say that the pre-orders is around 20.000 units. So currently every unit produced goes direct to a customer.

And with the leadtime it will probably be a long way into 2021 until we will see some in the stores. Anywhere in world.

While they're on the ARP train, how about a Bro Soloist? I think there would be a real market for a "Vintage Analog Monosynth with Presets!" If they were to build a small multi-effects unit into it, it would be gold. Tony and other pro soloist users almost never played it dry because single-osc synths need a little sugar, but if Behringer threw in a chorus, phaser, and delay, it would be sweat money!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

The only info I've seen indicates 11-14 weeks before they ship...but they've already been saying that for at least 6 or 8 weeks and the 11-14 hasn't changed.

Wait for it...

Behringer 2600 shipping dates keep slipping...

There. I said it. Sounds like a catchy title for a thread, right?

Grey

While they're on the ARP train, how about a Bro Soloist? I think there would be a real market for a "Vintage Analog Monosynth with Presets!" If they were to build a small multi-effects unit into it, it would be gold. Tony and other pro soloist users almost never played it dry because single-osc synths need a little sugar, but if Behringer threw in a chorus, phaser, and delay, it would be sweat money!

How much nostalgia can we stand? A pure repro of the Pro Soloist would be a waste. If its beefed up more sensibly with a few modern pluses, where does it stop being a vintage-scented Object Of Desire? Could you live with just those classic presets? Will people crap cookies if it includes a wavetable bank? Won't they want a model with a much more responsive, solid keybed? If you're going to go Retro, make sure you aren't just going back to the Bronze Age.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

• 5 weeks later...