Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Module Pro 4.0 released

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4.0 is out and there is a sale until Oct 29. Maybe now it's time for me to pickup the Performance Expansion. 20 bucks sounds more reasonable than 40.

Finally....great news! Now I can use Ivory from inside Cubasis and AUM.

To clarify Tom's comment...4.0 is free upgrade if you have Korg Module already. He's talking about sale on new purchase.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

What I find especially interesting about its AU support is this facebook post from the makers of the Keystage app:

The new audio unit feature of Korg Module Pro really makes it an amazing app for live performance with KeyStage 2.0.

The performance of the new audio unit version is much better compared to the previous standalone version:

I can run 5 instances of Korg Module Pro inside KeyStage and play them simultaneously without any glitches on my 7 year old iPad Air 2, and 3 of these units has samples from additional big sound libraries (Ivory Mobile American D, Monumental Choir Dreams, and Orchestral Dreams)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What I find especially interesting about its AU support is this facebook post from the makers of the Keystage app:

The new audio unit feature of Korg Module Pro really makes it an amazing app for live performance with KeyStage 2.0.

The performance of the new audio unit version is much better compared to the previous standalone version:

I can run 5 instances of Korg Module Pro inside KeyStage and play them simultaneously without any glitches on my 7 year old iPad Air 2, and 3 of these units has samples from additional big sound libraries (Ivory Mobile American D, Monumental Choir Dreams, and Orchestral Dreams)

That's encouraging.

I think a lot of people had probably given up on Korg ever supporting AU until last winter when they supported it on Electribe Wave. Not sure what took so long, but if they were just making sure performance and stability were good, then I'm all for it.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal for me but I just adore Ivory on Module...sits right with my ears. Everything else in Module I can get comparable or better on other iOS apps.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

This. Module Pro was always available to hosts such as AUM and others through Inter-App Audio (IIRC only one instance was available though). AUv3 changes everything by significantly increasing the viability of Module Pro within a multi-timbral setup. The relief for Camelot users is that they don't have to wait for Camelot to get IAA onboard, as they have promised since launching the app. What appears to have happened is the eventuality of Apple eventually abandoning IAA has forced Korg's hand.

Here for the gear.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think IAP, Audiobus, Jack etc. do what we have come to expect from a host like Main Stage. Specifically - saving and recalling all aspects of a setup from which instruments are loaded, what their split and layer settings are, fx, fx parameters, fx routing, levels, patch parameters, etc.

So what exactly is closest thing to Main Stage on iOS right now?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think IAP, Audiobus, Jack etc. do what we have come to expect from a host like Main Stage. Specifically - saving and recalling all aspects of a setup from which instruments are loaded, what their split and layer settings are, fx, fx parameters, fx routing, levels, patch parameters, etc.

I like AUM, which does the specifics you mentioned, although not nearly as broadly or graphically as MainStage.

Here for the gear.

I like AUM, which does the specifics you mentioned, although not nearly as broadly or graphically as MainStage.

Have you tried Keystage or Camelot Pro?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Have to wonder if they were able to improve the latency spec.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Have to wonder if they were able to improve the latency spec.

I know you've reported latency issues. How was yours hooked up? Did you use the headphone out of the iPad?

iPad Pro in Airplane Mode, Bluetooth Off, Camera connector USB in, Headphone Out, Audio Latency set to 64, voices set to 32.... too much latency to be comfortable.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I looked at Keystage, and bought Audiobus & iMIDI Patchbay but didn't like their GUIs either. I bought Camelot Pro for iOS â which works well â but I find its interface boxy & rather clunky, and more CPU-intensive than AUM. Once one gets used to the way and how well AUM works, there's no alternative.

Here for the gear.

I'm a Keystage user, but I use it with my Korg Krome and an iPad for set list functionality sometimes. I'm happy with it. Not a huge fan of the graphic design element style, but it works fine.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

iPad Pro in Airplane Mode, Bluetooth Off, Camera connector USB in, Headphone Out, Audio Latency set to 64, voices set to 32.... too much latency to be comfortable.

iPad Pro meets the spec, which generation iPad Pro, just out of curiosity.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yesterday I used for the first time the Korg Module on my iPad 7, as my only sound source for a rehearsal. I just plugged the ipad's headphone out on the aux input of my Vox VX50-KB keyboard amp. The result is very satifying :) I used Scarbee for the EP and Ivory AmD for the AP, and they both sound very good and cut nicely in the overall mix. I was a bit concerned about the volume level, as there's no gain knob for the aux input on the VX50-KB, but I could hear myself very well and I can anyway adjust the volume with an expression pedal. As I already reported in the forum, the latency is absolutely no issue for me. It felt very comfortable to play. I used my Vox Continental keyboard, which I usually bring to rehearsals, as the master keyboard, but I will now instead use the keyboard which is available at the rehearsal studio, which is a Yamaha weighted keyboard (don't remember the model, but it's an entry model, still ok to play though). This will save me the effort to carry my own keyboard at each rehearsal :) I wanted initially to use a Korg Plugkey for this purpose, mostly for the 1/4" Jack outputs which make it easy to plug on mixing board. But unfortunately, it seems that Korg has stopped the production for this product, and there's none left at online or normal shops. If someone has one which he wants to get rid of, please let me know :laugh: .. But it seems that this setup can work nonetheless with a standard 1/8" cable, at least for rehearsals.

For 1/4" outs, I prefer the Alesis Control Hub to the PlugKey because it also gives you a MIDI Out (so your iPad can do things like send Program Changes to your keyboards), and it has separate volume controls for the main and headphone outs (so you can for example check patches silently through headphones without sending the sound out to the mains), and it has standard USB so, with the right adapter, you can use it on anything, regardless of whether the thing you're connecting to is lightning or USB or USB-C. Unfortunatley, it's discontinued too! But you might find a used one.

Yes, I checked the Alesis Control Hub based on one of your previous post, but saw that it was also discontinued. It makes me crazy why these companies are discontinuing products which are convenient and not so old :mad: and possibly still in demand... But ok, good hint, I'll try to see if I could find a used Control Hub. Otherwise, I'll just stick with a standard 1/8" cable, or maybe a 1/8" to 1/4" cable if that exists, as I don't really use MIDI control changes.

YOtherwise, I'll just stick with a standard 1/8" cable, or maybe a 1/8" to 1/4" cable if that exists, as I don't really use MIDI control changes.

Yes, you can use a cable that breaks out a single stereo 1/8" headphone output into left and right 1/4" connectors, that's readily available.

• 6 months later...

Looks like Gospel Musicians have joined the Kong Module party. Neo Soul is available as an expansion pack. I wish they would make the Scarbee wurly available.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/korg-module-pro/id932191687

7 day free trial or £4.99.

[Edit] this is not the Keys (Rhodes etc) package but synth basses and stuff.

[Edit] this is not the Keys (Rhodes etc) package but synth basses and stuff.

A little late for April Fool's but ya got me. Feverishly downloaded the free trial only to find a bunch of vintage synth patches. Would be great to have Neo Soul pianos and Module Pro together for ease of use. Maybe someday.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Looking closely at Korg Module Pro. Lack of AUv3 was a deal killer back when, since addressed. I have many bases covered already (Vtines, Pure Piano, B3-X) but am in the hunt for a single source of bread-and-butter pad sounds: strings, choirs et. al.

Any commentary on how well Korg Module Pro covers these sounds with IAPs?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

For Strings try iSymphonic and for pads and a whole lot of other stuff Pure Synth Pro, also Synthmaster One

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Looking closely at Korg Module Pro. Lack of AUv3 was a deal killer back when, since addressed. I have many bases covered already (Vtines, Pure Piano, B3-X) but am in the hunt for a single source of bread-and-butter pad sounds: strings, choirs et. al.

Any commentary on how well Korg Module Pro covers these sounds with IAPs?

You get very nice strings and choirs with the additional soundpacks from KAPro. There"s also a very nice pack which provides pads and synths sounds (still from KAPro).

For AP and EP, I think Module delivers very well. The two Synthogy piano packs and the Scarbee EP are all good. Clavs are also well covered.

I know some people are praising other apps, but I"m fully happy with what"s in Module. I"ve tried the Vtines but finally still use Scarbee (even though Vtines is also nice).

Pure Piano I don"t even want to try it. I had enough AAS (App Acquisition Syndrom ðð).

I have a bunch of musical apps, but find that I spend 95% of my time in Module. I have all of the older sound packs except the American Grand, not so many of the newest ones, since they don't have sounds I need. Installed on the iPad 5 (128 storage), the iPad Mini 2 (32 storage), and even on the old iPhone 6 (16G), removed all of the other apps except the few that can't be removed to get the space.

Have my church rig setup with charging cables for the oldest iPad 3, which I use for sheets (it does have some of the apps also), and usually lately the iPhone 6, with audio connections to my mixer. I've done stuff in our band as guests in other churches carrying nothing but the iPad 5, IK Keys Pro 37 controller, and the old iPad for sheets. Plugged into their audio system.

Works great. Latency doesn't bother me even on the older devices. I use it in particular for Hammond/Leslie, which sounds better than my PC2 or PC3 at church internal KB3 Leslie (OK on slow, warbly on fast)

Been using for 5 years or so.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 3 months later...
Have to wonder if they were able to improve the latency spec....iPad Pro in Airplane Mode, Bluetooth Off, Camera connector USB in, Headphone Out, Audio Latency set to 64, voices set to 32.... too much latency to be comfortable.

Have you had this same issue from different keyboards? With other people using iPads and Korg Module without issue, I wonder if the latencey problem isn't so much Module on the iPad, but maybe something specific to your keyboard. So it would be interesting to know ...

(a) if you have the same Korg Module latency issue when playing it from other keyboards, or when playing it from a 5-pin MIDI connection vs. from a USB MIDI out? and

(b) if you were able to play other iPad apps successfully, while Module was going you too much latency (on that same iPad, playing from that same keyboard)?

because it's possible that your issue isn't with Korg Module, but with something else in your setup, or some particular combination of things in your setup.