Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looks like Toto is back..again..with a new lineup

I'm mostly messing around here. Couldn't help comment since the subject matter is somewhat close to me in a certain way. I certainly see every angle. Some AWB fans won't acknowledge any version that doesn't have Hamish Stuart in it â and I totally get that! Frankly I'm amazed at how our gigs have done in the seven + years I've been with them. Most are sellouts or close to sellouts. Obviously there's an audience there â and promoters that know we can deliver the numbers they like. I'm not gonna over-analyse this except to theorize that folks come to "dinosaur" band gigs to re-live their youths for an hour or two, and do it in a communal setting that enhances the feel-good vibe. And occasionally I let myself think that some want to see a band of good players lay it down. In those respects, the exact personnel on stage may not matter as much as some think. However, to each his or her own, and all I know is I hope I can ride this train a few more stops!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is reminding me of the time my friend and his dad took me to go see Judas Priest while I was home on break from college. It was a big arena show with Priest headlining, and the opening acts were Black Label Society (the loudest band I've ever heard in person) and... Thin Lizzy. My buddy and I were joking about Thin Lizzy all the way to the show and into their set -- "isn't Thin Lizzy just Phil Lynott and whoever he brings with him? He's been dead since the 80s! It's like if Motorhead went out without Lemmy!" -- and the band was, indeed, one or two guys who were in Thin Lizzy at one point and then... some other guys. We thought it was hilarious.

But there was a certain point during their set (I think after they gave a shout-out to Phil Lynott) where I got past my cynicism and realized, hey, these are guys whose age and chosen style of music put them on the outs with the big-money cool-factory of the music industry, and they get to make their living going out on the road and playing great music that moves people. Sure, is it a little weird that they have to take on a Popular Brand with which they have little or no history to make that happen? Yeah, but that's life as an artist under capitalism. This way, instead of working in a cubicle somewhere, they get to play The Boys Are Back in Town in a packed arena and hang out with Rob Halford. I think that's pretty cool.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Anybody left from Iron Butterfly?

Call me.

Well, Doug Ingle and Ron Bushy are still alive.

They can't call you, though, because they're still in the middle of playing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida." :roll:

#tooeasy

Doug could call when Ron is taking a 35 minute drum solo!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1. Bobby Kimball is deaf, cannot sing in tune and now has dementia. 2. Shem had a falling out and did not get on with the rest of the rhythm section so that"s why he"s out.

A big bummer on that one as he sang and played great and had a great stage presence , so it was like Nathan when he was in the band.

• 2 weeks later...
1. Bobby Kimball is deaf, cannot sing in tune and now has dementia. 2. Shem had a falling out and did not get on with the rest of the rhythm section so that"s why he"s out.

A big bummer on that one as he sang and played great and had a great stage presence , so it was like Nathan when he was in the band.

That is a shame, Shem was brilliant. Such a positive guy, too. Wonder what the falling out was about.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3