Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS: Opinions on the Korg Krome EX 88

I'm considering getting a new main board to replace my Yamaha MM8

The board that I am drawn to is the Korg Krome EX 88.

I've listened to a few of the demo videos, and it sounds like it would be a very capable board.

I trust the opinions of the people on this forum. Trying to get the pros and cons from people that have used one prior to pulling the trigger.

I have until Friday to decide not to get it, otherwise it will probably be on it's way to me.

It's already in my Sweetwater cart

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a Korg Krome 88 for 7 years. I am in the minority of people here that doesn't mind the action. I have had the internal Micro SD issues, but figured out how to change the card. They seem to degrade after a couple of years and the original card seems to have been under powered spec wise for the size sample the piano are reading. If unaware of that issue, When using the sustain pedal on the large Piano patches, the sound just drops out when it should continue sustaining. The slow read cards seem to contribute to the sample overloading and dropping out. I found an article on how to swap it out with a new card and reload the info. It worked great for a few years and seems to happen again. Once again replacing the card seems to have fixed it. I have found out that Korg says the issue is with one of the internal boards corrupting the card. Mine is long out of warranty, so I have not brought it in for servicing. I also am not currently in any bands to use it live, so I am not too concerned about it anymore. It was embarrassing when it happened live the first time when it just dropped out.

Hopefully they have fixed this issue on the EX. I have not heard yet, if the issues are still happening with the new model. Other than that issue I have been happy with the 1st generation.

I guess I'd start from the point of (a) what are the shortcomings of the MX88 that you're trying to address, and (b) are there any particular features (as opposed to sounds) that are drawing you to the Krome. I think answering this questions would assure that any other options we'd suggest would meet your needs at least as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What is the main complaint on the action?

I'm not that picky on the action. I played a Korg SP200 for a long time, and was fine with that action.

From what I've seen, they really bumped up the memory on the EX.

I'm more interested in the sounds, especially the AP, EP, Clav, Strings, Horns. Organ, don't need it. I have yet to find a board that will give great AP, and an even passable Organ in my price range. I have my Hammond Sk2 for that.

Willie Dixon

While the MM8 is a good workhorse board, with some good sounds, I'm looking to upgrade. The backlight on the display has failed, so it is impossible to use on stage.

It is also very difficult to smoothly change patches on the fly, and the only way to change them is with the data entry wheel. I have had to set up the favorites so that I can change from one sound/split to another.

I'm ready for a more capable board for both live and DAW recording.

I've always had an affinity for Korg. I have always loved their joystick for pitch bend & mod

Willie Dixon

I currently want a lightweight general purpose slab piano. The MX88 is the front runner by that is the one Yamaha board my shop doesn"t have. I played a early Krome 61 at a rehearsal. Nice sound set.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the new EX's from Korg are cool. I had a version 1 Krome 61. The touch screen is good, and make editing a whole lot easier than the Yammy MX series.

As someone else mentioned, I'm one of those rare ones who had no problem with the Krome 61 keys, and I auditioned a Krome EX88 for a couple hours and ha no issue with it. I went with the MODX8, but not because of keybed.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

While the MM8 is a good workhorse board, with some good sounds, I'm looking to upgrade. The backlight on the display has failed, so it is impossible to use on stage.

It is also very difficult to smoothly change patches on the fly, and the only way to change them is with the data entry wheel. I have had to set up the favorites so that I can change from one sound/split to another.

I'm ready for a more capable board for both live and DAW recording.

I've always had an affinity for Korg. I have always loved their joystick for pitch bend & mod

Yamaha MODX8 is more money but it has a touch screen interface sort of similar to the Kronos that is so handy for arranging and calling sounds up live. I wish the Krome had Korg Setlist. It"s great.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you can stretch your budget that high, I think that's easily the most capable board in the "88s under $2k" category. Krome does have the touchscreen, but I'd struggle to find any other Korg advantage here. Kurzweil has far more real-time controls, aftertouch, 2 GB memory for user/3rd-party expansions, VA synth, FM synth, clonewheel engine (though I know that's not a priority here), assignable outs, seamless switching...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a Krome 88 v1. Never had an issue with the feel of the keybed. And it is very easy to select sounds, create layers and splits, etc. Lots of good sounds. The touch screen looks cool, but in bright lights or outside in the sun it can be unreadable, like any LCD screen. I don't like having to rely solely on a touch screen to select presets. But the thing that really bothers me is it has been sitting in it's case for over a year because of the dreaded Micro SD issue. How anyone could think that design was a good idea is beyond me. A Micro SD card in a not so secure socket mounted on the mainboard contains the O/S and wave data. Apparently a lot of folks have had the issue where either sounds are not working properly or the unit boots up into a system error. I have tried burning a new Micro SD card and replacing the original but have had no luck. If the new Krome uses the same design I would stay away from it. Pity because it is a nice board otherwise and there was a lot I liked about it.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I'm sure the Korg is a fine instrument. I've got a Kurzweil Forte and love it but trying to stay objective. I've always said that I enjoy the Kurzweil more than any other keyboard I've owned when it comes to sitting down and playing it. The programs are so responsive to touch. The PC4 has the PC3 soundset with some others added in as well as FM, user flash memory and more polyphony. Impressive stuff. There are some gaps in the sound set (IMO), but it does AP, EP, organ, strings, synth stuff extremely well. E. guitars are impressive too.

I'm sure you can make great music with the Korg and suspect it has a more robust sequencer but also believe the sound set and playing experience to be better on the Kurz.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Just my $.02 YMMV

I have a Kronos which I believe has the same screen as the Krome. While it is probably the best for set lists, I"ve been somewhat frustrated with how many little 'buttons' are on the various screens that are difficult to use due to their small size.

I have the MODX8 which I like better for programming using the screen. Somewhat subjective, again YMMV. Oh, I might add that I"m selling my barely used MODX8 in the The Garage Sale here on MPN. Price is less than the Krome and includes the matching gig bag...just saying. I picked up a used MODX7 due to weight and revised setup.

If you can stretch $500-600 more, I agree the PC4 would be competitive if not better. I"ve always loved the sounds on my PC3

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

I've been looking at the MODX8 as well.

What was it about that board that had you get that, over some of the others?

Willie Dixon

I've been looking at the MODX8 as well.

What was it about that board that had you get that, over some of the others?

I have always enjoyed the Yamaha pianos, just connected with them. That was the main reason, and I liked the other sounds a lot as well. I missed some of the Yamaha sounds as it"s been many years since I had my last motif. It ultimately came down to the PC4 vs MODX8 and went with the MO for the reasons above. Also, the large, useable screen, relative ease in modifying performances, many knobs and sliders for easy live performance and other features were somewhat lesser considerations.

Hope that helps.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Hello! I am hoping that someone who actually has worked with the Krome EX or has some access to knowledgeable people at Korg, can verify whether or not the

SD card issue has been resolved with the new EX. Regardless of whether or not I am still actively gigging, (I am not) I would hate to rely on faulty data storage

on a workstation. Otherwise, this really looks like a good purchase for my needs.