Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Jarrett Confronts a Future Without the Piano

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading the article. It evoked a lot of reflection, and no small amount of memories. I became familiar with Keith Jarrett slightly later than many fans. Oddly enough, my first exposure to his music came as a result of a friend's comment. At a coffeehouse gig in 1982 I was asked to play a lengthened song intro, due to the bandleader needing to change an acoustic guitar string; he said, 'play something', so I made something up. My friend remarked later that it reminded her a little of Keith Jarrett, and my response was, "Who's that?'. So I bought the CD set for the Koln Concert; and that started an ear opening process that continues to this day. Most days it still feels like I'm a 200-300 college level player and Keith has a PhD - and then some - in piano improv, but I'm grateful for the continued inspiration he's provided. I'm thinking he should know that, and if I can find a way to communicate my thanks directly I will.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

According to the article, he's not going to recover the ability to play both-handed, and it sounds a bit like his desire to play has been extinguished, at least for now.

I witnessed something similar with my step-father. A stroke can be a particularly cruel force of destruction, taking away essential parts person but leaving enough that they can remember what they used to be.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Keith's been through over the years, first stopping play when he said he had chronic fatigue symptom and now these strokes. He gave us a lot of music and thankfully most is recorded and many DVD's. My piano teacher and I were talking about Keith and he said he had great tickets for Keith's NYC concert that Keith never showed up for and Keith hasn't played a concert since. Can't imagine how hard it must be to have playing piano be your whole life and suddenly it's gone.

Take care Keith and thank you.

So I have ONE WORD that might benefit Keith but perhaps might benefit us all.

TEACH.

If that doesn't work go to plan B.

COMPOSE.

I hate to say it, but not every great player makes for a great (or even good) teacher. Even if said person hasn't had a stroke, which could impede his own ability to explain or demonstrate something. And I suspect that asking him to compose would be like asking him to paint. It's not what he does. He's all about improvisation. A quote from the linked article about the idea of knowing what you're going to play before you play it was, 'If I have a musical idea, I say no to it.' Man, what a tough position for someone like him to be in. (I also suspect that composition--when you can't play what you're composing nor compose something by playing it--could easily be more a source of frustration than satisfaction.) But all of us (who are lucky enough to not unexpectedly die young) will probably reach a point where we can no longer do what we do. Hopefully, we have family, because even if we can no longer do what we love, hopefully we can still be with who we love. Otherwise, about all that's left is bingeing on netflix.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Gary Burton is another one that retired recently due to a health-related impairment. After heart surgery, he noticed he no longer had perfect pitch, and had trouble with sight reading or anything that required concentration. The effects of aging can be tragic.

I always thought of Keith as a power player, but his greatest impact on me was his double pipe organ LP "Hymns & Spheres." That thing mesmerized me as much as Schulze's "Timewinds" or ELPs "Trilogy." I already loved the organ, but I'd never heard anyone take it so far into a realm of almost alien inspiration. I'm sorry he's been laid low, but I still feel positively affected by his high reach. That album is like part of Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma," as if the band was being funneled through it. Respects.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Thanks for posting! I'd been wondering for a long time every few months... when we would hear from him after the cancellation.

Sad to hear the news about his health, but wishing him the best and praying for him to achieve peace and happiness again.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

As much as we are losing our rock greats, we are in turn losing some of the greatest jazz musicians of our generation. A sad, but an inevitable course of life. His contributions to jazz and classical are so impressive and long-lived. We do have his recordings, videos, memories of great performances to have with us and the next generations to come. Such a great and dedicated artist, despite his often rude and disrespectful attitude towards audiences, he has changed the paradigm of jazz piano, as we know it.

I know that the first time I heard his Bremen & Lausanne Solo Concerts on the radio I was so excited to hear solo piano played that way. With great classical technique, jazz phrasing and mind-boggling improvisation I was inspired to play/practice my own personal version of his approach. I will always have fond memories of this period in my musical life.

I've got many of his CD's and have admired his compositions before he dedicated the last 30+ years to jazz standard interpretations. His American Quartet and European Quartet are just as compelling to me as his solo piano works. His early composition "In Front" from his first solo piano release is a masterpiece. From his American Quartet - Bya-Blue, Bop-Be, Still Life Still Life, and others and European Quartet - My Song, Country, Questar. With Airto - Lucky Southern. May he find a place where he can stay positive and not fall into an abyss of depression.

So sorry to learn this. Keith has been a huge inspiration since I first heard him in the late '70"s. I"ve listened to interviews, watched documentaries, read his biography, and transcribed his music. The diversity of his music is mind boggling. I feel fortunate that I saw his amazing trio at Carnegie Hall during the 80"s. Thankfully so much of his music has been impeccably recorded. I hope he can continue to find happiness and wish him the best.

That is so sad. Yes, up to a point we must accept that's the reality of getting old, many/most people (especially Western males) don't make it to 75 in good health. Fortunately he had plenty of time to gift us immense inspiration and contribution, but anyway that's a really cruel way for his career to end.

I only hope he can accept it and deal with it in serenity, we all know what happened to another Keith who lost the ability to play...

This is pretty heartbreaking news. Keith is one of the greatest pianists ever, regardless of genre. My taste in his music is pretty unconventional, I find endless inspiration in the electric work he did with Miles, like on Live Evil, the Cellar Door box set, or the recently released Lost Septet semi-boot, while the Koln concert just bores me to tears. Also, his Impulse quartet records with Redman, Haden and Motian are essential, as are his Standards trio with DeJohnette and Peacock(RIP). And despite how I feel about Koln, I love many of his solo concerts.

The events of this year have prompted me to ponder things like mortality, and the inevitable physical and mental decline from aging. I'm 58 and pretty ridiculously healthy, despite my best efforts, but I am beginning to see that there will come a time when I won't be able to play at my current capacity in the next 1-2 decades. It's made me more focussed on getting things done with the time that I have, and not putting stuff off for later.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

One of my colleagues had two strokes. Though they weren't completely debilitating he was still able to lead a very creative life as a musician. He was a harpsichordist, and it just became different ways of doing what he did.

For a while he simply just realized chords in the RH and no longer worried about the LH bass as the continuo instrument was covering it. No one knew the difference nore cared. After the 2nd one he concentrated on singing and conducting, and helping others become excited about the things in music that inspired him - which was probably more influential than his performing career.

This hit painfully close to home. On Sept 24, midway through the first set of a rare outdoor gig, I had a stroke of my own. The effect was in speech coordination. Luckily, my playing was unaffected. My background singing, on the other hand, took a hit. Luckily through, thanks to swift medical intervention, I am expected to make a complete or very near complete recovery. This is not the case for 90 percent of stroke patients. I confess, I was never that much of a Keith Jarrett fan, but at this moment, I feel a bond. I wish him well and hope that this adversity might lead him on to some other means of expressing his creativity. At this time the world needs it. On the practical side. medicine has progressed. Please pay attention to your heart health and/or blood pressure. You can minimize the risk.

This hit painfully close to home. On Sept 24, midway through the first set of a rare outdoor gig, I had a stroke of my own.

Retro, I wish you a full recovery. ðð¿

Same prayer for Mr. Jarrett that he recovers and that his quality of life remains positive. ðð¿:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I decided to get really into electronic music performance when I had severe hand issues some years ago requiring surgery. I knew that eventually my Type 1 diabetes would affect my playing to the point it would frustrate me, so decided to pre-empt that situation by looking at other ways to perform music without requiring solid keys playing all the time.

I got into Maschine, Kaoss Pads, Ableton and incorporating into live performance. Almost like a DJ with keys skills. Really enjoying it actually.

The nice part is that if I do go back to gigging, I"ll be able to gig at venues that like DJs.seeing as I can drop acapellas into a performance.

I"ve learnt to never put all my eggs in one basket because at some point that basket is going to get punted