Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Build Project Time

Wow, very cool! Would you mind breaking down the cost of all the components? How much did the total stand cost you and did you tinker toy your way to that particular configuration or was it sold like that?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, very cool! Would you mind breaking down the cost of all the components? How much did the total stand cost you and did you tinker toy your way to that particular configuration or was it sold like that?

Tinker toy. Had the idea in my head then went to the Gibraltar site to determine what hardware I needed

Initial costs

2 T Leg Assemblies. 28 each $56

8 Right angle clamps 20 each $160

4 Memory locks 4 each $16

3 30' tubes 18 each $54

2 20' tubes 15 each $30

1 pair electronic mounting arms $40

4 Rubber Mounting Pads 5 each $20

4 pk Gibraltar Rack casters $72

1 can Dupli-Color Metalicast paint $9

Total cash outlay $457

Without casters, $385

Personal Satisfaction and fun = Priceless!

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Because I can"t sit still.

I decided to design add-ons for times I want three boards.

Still a compact setup and the boards are an easy reach.

In fact, it"s feels more natural to reach slightly to the side than straight forward when reaching a higher keyboard.

Q3nCxb.jpg

Just waiting on the mounting arms for the left side.

The main cross bar will go lower near the tubes for the 1st tier.

It still breaks down for easy transport

xyXh69.jpg

hYZQEY.jpg

Even when just using two keyboards, I"m probably going to use this setup. It actually brings the YC61 closer to me, and as I said above it feels more natural.

Also, it give me completely unimpeded access to all the controls of the MODX8.

Ok now I gotta paint those tubes.

The new arms will be here tomorrow l, and I"ll get a pic with all three boards

The board on the left will be used to control sounds on the MODX. I"ll most likely use my Keylab 61 Black Edition. It"s the same size as the YC, so a nice visual symmetry :cool:

David

Looks amazing. On the subject of "off-centre" keyboards. I find myself needing to play both boards with both hands. I'm often swapping hands depending on what needs to be played where.

I've always found that if I try something similar (or, say, an L configuration), I find that I need to reach the board on my right with my left hand, and the board on my left with my RH.

Cheers, Mike.

That"s not feature creep. It"s transformative. That angled keyboard on the left would be great for LH bass. Up in the air where the audience can see what you"re doing, but angled for easier playing.

A question: How much bounce are you getting from those flying arms? I"ve never experienced Gibraltar stands.

Oh yeah now you're talking, this is brilliant!!

Because I can"t sit still.

I decided to design add-ons for times I want three boards.

Still a compact setup and the boards are an easy reach.

In fact, it"s feels more natural to reach slightly to the side than straight forward when reaching a higher keyboard.

Q3nCxb.jpg

Just waiting on the mounting arms for the left side.

The main cross bar will go lower near the tubes for the 1st tier.

It still breaks down for easy transport

xyXh69.jpg

hYZQEY.jpg

Even when just using two keyboards, I"m probably going to use this setup. It actually brings the YC61 closer to me, and as I said above it feels more natural.

Also, it give me completely unimpeded access to all the controls of the MODX8.

Ok now I gotta paint those tubes.

The new arms will be here tomorrow l, and I"ll get a pic with all three boards

The board on the left will be used to control sounds on the MODX. I"ll most likely use my Keylab 61 Black Edition. It"s the same size as the YC, so a nice visual symmetry :cool:

A question: How much bounce are you getting from those flying arms? I"ve never experienced Gibraltar stands.

None at all. Currently the tubes for the bottom board are only attached at the main vertical tubes in the back. I can hammer hard on the MODX8, and there is absolutely no bounce

Same with the upper tier, and those short extensions

David

Wellllll.

I brought my new setup to rehearsal the other day and discovered a couple things.

1. Everyone loved it

2. The three board setup the way I have it is not good for sitting gigs.

The body adjustments I make while playing seated, make this difficult to be fluid. When I got home, I cobbled up the rig to be standing, and it was perfect.

I do have a plan in the works to add a third board while seated. Still in keeping with my modular approach.

In the meantime, I added a couple vertical bars to the lower tier to beef up stability. Even so, it's still just two clamps to loosen to breakdown and transport.

The new uprights need paint, but that's easy. Oh, pay no attention to pedal soup. I'm just getting things lined out for placement, cable snake, etc...

Finally, the Dupli-Color Metalcast paint is strong. Just as it hasn't chipped on my boards I used it on, it has no scratches or issues on the tubes even after all the clamp movement, attaching, and re-attaching.

ngdYg0.jpg

David

I am 6'6" tall. No one makes stands that work optimally for standing or sitting. Being able to not only have something that is EXACTLY right, but then also looks great, is easily moved and rock solid has been wonderful. Spending on ergonomics always repays big dividends! It took me a while to get mine dialed in too.