Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2020 Thread

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences, Synthaholic. The Braves played really well.

Best,

Geoff

Going into the playoffs, I thought the Padres were going to be tougher than the Braves. I was mistaken. It was a well-fought NLCS by both teams.

We lost our best two pitchers the week before the playoffs started and we never had a 5th starter. Almost every game was a bullpen game. We couldn't make it with that.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

We lost our best two pitchers the week before the playoffs started and we never had a 5th starter. Almost every game was a bullpen game. We couldn't make it with that.

Regarding Pads, this. After losing its two top starting pitchers, Pads were riding on a hope and a prayer, and that hope died when Bellinger robbed Tatis of a potential go-ahead home run.

These Dodgers are arguably one of the best teams of this era. Even just considering Betts, Kershaw, Bellinger, and Seager: the last two are still too young to be sure, but chances are good all four end up as contenders for the Hall of Fame. After those four, you have an incredibly strong supporting cast of experienced and versatile position players, and a very deep pitching staff. Closer Jansen's velocity might be the only weak point, but there's other guys who can take the ball in that situation.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I am not a Dodgers fan, but I would like to see Kershaw get a ring. If he retired right this second (before the World Series even started), he has already earned a place in the Hall of Fame. But I would like to see him add a World Series title to his resume (with some good pitching by him in the WS to help make it happen).

Well, Clayton Kershaw sure didn't disappoint tonight!

The hitting, base-stealing, and fielding of the rest of the team helped power the Dodgers to an 8-3 victory in Game 1:

Los Angeles Dodgers ride Clayton Kershaw to Game 1 World Series win

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

What an amazing Game 1 by the Dodgers...The pitching, the hitting, the baserunning, the fielding, the stealing...they fired on all cylinders tonight! I would argue that inning-per-inning, this was even greater than the 1988 World Series Game 1 (Which really was only great during the bottom of the 9th inning).

I really enjoyed watching Mookie's base running, and thought it was great that the announcing crew focused on his decision making as well as his athleticism in helping us appreciate what took place on that play where he scored on the infield grounder to the first baseman.

Man, that game was a nail-biter. After playing so well, I can't believe the Dodgers lost because of two errors on one play!

Tampa Bay Rays stun Dodgers in Game 4 on dramatic finish at plate

Of games that didn't end the series, that was one of the great World Series finishes. Too bad the Dodgers were on the wrong end.

Congrats to the Rays for evening things up when they were one out away from being down 3-1.

We've got a best of three ahead.

Best,

Geoff

A wonderful analysis by "Jomboy" on Tampa Bay's failed attempt to steal home in the 4th inning of game 5:

You can advance the video at 1:50 for the analysis of the actual attempt to steal home.

Muncy immediately alerts Kershaw upon seeing the Tampa Bay runner Margot break for home, Kershaw reacts very quickly to Muncy's warning, and they barely get the runner out.

After watching Jomboy's video, I don't blame Tampa Bay's Margot for trying.

It's an amazing case of preparation by the Dodgers first baseman Muncy and by Kershaw.

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

http://www.geoffgrace.com/Pictures/Dodgers.jpg

GO DODGER BLUE!!! :thu:

I'm so glad I lived to see this day!!! :cool::keynana::rawk::boing::thx:

Best,

Geoff

Me too. A longtime Dodger fan from the early 70's teams to now. So tough to get so close recently. But the difference for me is one guy added to the team this year: Mookie. Yes, Corey was awesome, as were many others, but Mookie for me was the piece that put them over. He didn't even have a great hitting series, but his presence was everywhere. So glad they pulled the trigger and spent the dough on him.

Me too. A longtime Dodger fan from the early 70's teams to now. So tough to get so close recently. But the difference for me is one guy added to the team this year: Mookie. Yes, Corey was awesome, as were many others, but Mookie for me was the piece that put them over. He didn't even have a great hitting series, but his presence was everywhere. So glad they pulled the trigger and spent the dough on him.

I agree, zxcvbnm098. Mookie Betts was the difference maker. Tonight alone, he contributed two of the Dodgers' three runs. The score would have been 1-1 going into the bottom of the ninth without him. He's strong in all facets of the game, and humble too. I'm glad they signed him long term.

That said, it didn't hurt that Clayton Kershaw finally put his postseason struggles behind him this go around.

Best,

Geoff

Before the season, the Dodgers were thought to have the best team in baseball on paper, an opinion I shared. So that should give pause to anyone who would put an asterisk on the season. The result in a 60 game season was probably the same as would be in 100, 160, 200 . . .

Kershaw and Betts are two reasons any sports fan should like the Dodgers. All-time great athletes who will be spoken of in hallowed tones for generations, but that the same time, humble, intelligent, public-minded, great role models.

I've been a Dodger fan since 10 or 11 years old. I woke up this morning remembering the World Series in 1963. They were day games then, and a kid in my class had his dad's transistor radio (worth a fortune back then) and a bunch of us gathered around at lunch time or recess on the school playground. It was warm for October but I recall the rink boards were just finished going up. Some kids cheered for the Yankees, but most of us liked the Dodgers, 'cause they were new (at least to us). Much later, 2009, I took a baseball trip with some friends and one stop was to a Dodger game in LA. Love the mid-century vibe.

Here for the gear.

I guess if there's an asterisk to the season, it's Justin Turner going back on the field to celebrate, maskless at times, after testing positive. I understand the Dodger's explanation -- he'd been mixing with the same people already, what's the problem with another few minutes of outdoor exposure to celebrate the world series win. While that's not totally irrational, it's not exactly good science, and it's not a good "look" at this particular moment given the arc of the infection curve. Reasonable minds can disagree about what happened, but to me it seems like this is the worst possible moment for breeziness.

The other "asterisk" (not really -- asterisks only attach to wins) is the Rays taking out Snell when he was on a roll. The World Series shouldn't be about analytics. Snell's pitching performance was potentially the stuff of legend. Taking him out might have made statistical sense, but it's contrary to why we love baseball.

Congrats Dodger fans, well deserved!

But yeah, hard to talk about Game 6 without taking about Cash and Snell. Feel for the pitcher there. Tim Kurkjian had some good things to say about it, including spreading the blame up the front office too. Cash doesn't make that call unless his bosses have hammered in the reliance on numbers. And what can you say, it got them to Game 6 of the WS. :idk: But you knew the second he came out the dugout that it was a bad call. Everyone on the planet knew it!

Congrats Dodger fans, well deserved!

But yeah, hard to talk about Game 6 without taking about Cash and Snell. Feel for the pitcher there. Tim Kurkjian had some good things to say about it, including spreading the blame up the front office too. Cash doesn't make that call unless his bosses have hammered in the reliance on numbers. And what can you say, it got them to Game 6 of the WS. :idk: But you knew the second he came out the dugout that it was a bad call. Everyone on the planet knew it!

Couldn't agree more. But when numbers and the front-office bigwigs call the shots, they can easily overide, old-school common sense - which, despite the world of stats, still has its place.

Didn't really have a horse in this race, as we're diehard Cubs fans, but it was fun seeing Tampa Bay kicking it into gear at times; I think we'll see more of that bunch. However, I've watched these Dodgers in many critical games and playoffs over the past 7-8 years, so I'm very glad for them. They finally did it, I'm just glad it didn't happen in 2016. Congrats LA Dodgers!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah, Arozarena was scary good. Every time he came to bat, I wanted to the Dodgers to intentionally walk him.

I agree that the Rays shot themselves in the foot by pulling Snell. He had a dominating performance last night.

The Rays deserve a ton of respect. They were more than worthy opponents for the Dodgers.

Best,

Geoff

I guess if there's an asterisk to the season, it's Justin Turner going back on the field to celebrate, maskless at times, after testing positive. I understand the Dodger's explanation -- he'd been mixing with the same people already, what's the problem with another few minutes of outdoor exposure to celebrate the world series win. While that's not totally irrational, it's not exactly good science, and it's not a good "look" at this particular moment given the arc of the infection curve. Reasonable minds can disagree about what happened, but to me it seems like this is the worst possible moment for breeziness.

I agree.

I felt sorry for Turner when I found out he not only had Covid but I thought he was going to miss the celebration as well. I completely understand after having worked so hard for so long and having been an important contributor to the series that he deserved to celebrate with his team, and I get that most of the people there had already been exposed to him (perhaps not the family members and league officials who joined in though, nor members of the press who were in the area). I nevertheless agree it was the wrong choice. Too risky.

Best,

Geoff