Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with my keyboard monitor setup!!

I've got a keyboard (Kawai MP7) that I want to monitor with my TC-Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 in my band, but I'm confused about the inputs and outputs and cabling required to achieve this.

The MP7 keyboard has 3 outputs in total, a 1/4" L/mono and R output, and a 1/4" stereo headphone jack. The FX150 monitor has 3 inputs in total, 2 XLR/TRS combo jacks named CH1 and CH2, and a 3.5mm aux input, which makes up 3 channels that I can individually control on my FX150. The monitors also have 1 XLR line out, which I can choose the output of, between the "full mix" (CH1 + CH2 + aux inputs), and "CH1" which just outputs the CH1 and doesn't output aux or CH2 to prevent a feedback loop.

In my monitor, I want a "more of me" mix, which means that I need to input both the FOH monitor out signal and the signal from my own keyboard. The signal from my own keyboard can be in mono or stereo, as I only have 1 monitor so it won't matter. However, the signal that I send to FOH from my keyboard must be in stereo.

I initially thought of setting up my system in the following way:

1) Connect the line out L/mono on my keyboard to the CH1 input on my monitor.

2) Connect the line out on my monitor to FOH, which would carry just my keyboard sound (in mono).

3) Connect the FOH monitor line out to CH2 input on my monitor.

This would ensure that I have a "more of me" mix that I can control using the volume controls for the 3 channels on my monitor. However, I realised that this would mean I can only send my keyboard sound to FOH in mono.

So I thought of another way I could set up my system:

1) Connect the line out L/mono and R on my keyboard to FOH, ensuring that the audience hears me in stereo.

2) Connect the headphone jack on my keyboard to the aux input (not the XLR combo jacks) on my monitors.

3) Connect the FOH monitor line out to CH2 input on my monitor.

This means that I am not using my monitors to output any signal to FOH, but directly outputting my keyboard sound straight to FOH. I woud still be able to control the volume coming from the keyboard on the aux channel on my monitors, which would allow me to have a "more of me" mix. This method would also send stereo keyboard sounds to FOH. However, I am not sure how legitimate this method is as I have never heard of connecting a headphone jack output to personal monitors.

I think if I get a DI box/mixer, it would solve my problems if the setup mentioned above is not correct. This being said, I would prefer not to carry around yet another piece of gear if there is no difference in the sonical quality of the sound I'm hearing from my monitors or FOH. Otherwise, if there is a more correct method of setting up this system using my current gear, I would love to hear it.

One additional thing, in the future, if I want to add a microphone to my setup, would it be possible to find a cabling setup that would allow me to still use a "more of me" mix controlling my keys and my own microphone, using my current setup and gear? I'm just not sure I have enough inputs and outputs to manage such a thing!!

Appreciate any help I can get, thanks! (So many cables... :mad: :mad: :mad:)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think a 2 channel DI would work. Out of keys into DI. DI thru goes to your TC monitor. DI out goes to FOH. Then get a monitor mix from the board sent back to another channel on the TC Monitor.

Radial ProD2

Thanks for the suggestion ABECK! Just wondering though, is a DI really necessary for my needs? I would prefer to minimise the gear I need to carry around. What do you think about my other options?

I always use my own DI for gigs...you never know what a venue will have. So just for that, I recommend. But, given your description, you could certainly try the headphone out (not sure how the level works, or what that signal will be like, but worth a try.

I use a personal monitor as well, tapping the thru signal as described. Works fine. However, I've never tried adding a monitor mix as usually I'll get that signal from the venue's monitors. (I prefer my own monitor so I can exclusively control how much of ME I hear.)

As you already discovered, the FX150 has a "more me" function already built-in. The first option you describe accomplishes everything you want (although, in mono only):

1) Keyboard into Ch1

2) FOH mix into Ch2

3) Select "Ch1" with the button

You hear a mix of Ch1, Ch2 (and anything you input to the AUX input). FOH only gets whatever you feed CH1. But this is in Mono.

In my mind, here's the real question. Does FOH run a stereo mix? And even if the answer is yes, is it a significant benefit to feed FOH a stereo output from your keys? You might want to confirm that - if feeding mono to FOH ends up sounding as good (or close to it) as sending stereo, you can use the configuration you already have (above) and just worry about playing.

If you still want to feed stereo to FOH, the best practice is to use a quality direct box or mixer.

All direct boxes are not created equal, by the way. If you don't have the occasion to A/B compare various brands and units, I would suggest sticking with Radial - despite the higher price. Many (most?) of the less-expensive units do not have full frequency response, and your timbre suffers audibly. I didn't believe it until I had the occasion to actually compare several units side by side. Same is true with mixers - you would be surprised at the difference in quality of sound using different mixers for your keyboards and other sources.

All that being said, for monitoring flexibility you're probably going to end up needing more pieces and cabling than the next guy. It's an unfortunate reality for gigging keyboard players, and I have a garage full of stuff to attest to that.

In my mind, here's the real question. Does FOH run a stereo mix? And even if the answer is yes, is it a significant benefit to feed FOH a stereo output from your keys? You might want to confirm that - if feeding mono to FOH ends up sounding as good (or close to it) as sending stereo, you can use the configuration you already have (above) and just worry about playing.
I wonder if there are any other threads on the forum that discuss the pros and cons of running keyboards in mono or stereo. :roll:

I jest, I jest.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.