Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I DARE ye to synthesize this sound

I'm fascinated by this autobiography recalling Mr. McCullin's dark-starred career as a war photojournalist. Its a major slice of history. It'll make you more fully appreciate your quiet neighborhood and indoor plumbing. This morning, I came upon this:

"Faya was like some isolated French garrison of the nineteenth century. Guns protruded through battlements and mud walls. The tricolour flew overhead. A tidal wave of the Sahara and its dunes crept up to it as if reclaiming its rights. An old man and his son showed us the magic of the dunes. When you slid down them, they produced an extraordinary singing sound, so loud it seemed to fill the entire desert. My hair stood on end. It was the most remarkable sound I ever heard."

~ Don McCullin, "Unreasonable Behavior"

That's a proper design challenge for you. There are several angles of approach. I'd be happy to nab a few takes with a shotgun mic and simply resynthesize it within Alchemy. Lazy, huh? If I was more of a RealSynthManâ¢, I'd labor over some mad Eurorack or Korg Wavestate shimmer action, making it sound like Smaug's trove of gold sliding about. Its part Oblique Strategies to even pose the task. Yes, I'm generously medicated today, thank you. There'll be another show at 11.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant! I"ll have some of whatever he"s having. Alchemy the world"s most under-rated re-synthesizer. But even without resynthesis, in Alchemy you could grab some noise, run it through an array of moaning comb filters, then treat it to some cavernous convolution reverb on it"s way out the door?

[video:youtube]

We call this one Shai-hulud, who is the physical embodiment of the one God who created and governs the universe.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You WOULD take part of the mystery out of it with SCIENCE. Hmph. So the Earth prefers E, G or F. I thought the wind was playing a chord once, but it was just my crazy neighbor's Aeolian harp. I have a few Chromaphone sounds that are in this ballpark. I hear some interesting clusters just over the horizon. It'll be amusing to reverse-engineer the sound of a giant sand dune.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

"I DARE ye to synthesize this sound"

"Faya was like some isolated French garrison of the nineteenth century. Guns protruded through battlements and mud walls. The tricolour flew overhead. A tidal wave of the Sahara and its dunes crept up to it as if reclaiming its rights. An old man and his son showed us the magic of the dunes. When you slid down them, they produced an extraordinary singing sound, so loud it seemed to fill the entire desert. My hair stood on end. It was the most remarkable sound I ever heard."

~ Don McCullin, "Unreasonable Behavior"

Well, whatever sound I'd come up with (if I didn't own just a ROMpler)...

For sure, with a description like that, I'd name it: "Beau Geste"

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs