Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Swedes with Taste

I'm a sucker for well-balanced blend of Blues, Soul (Funk, Gospel) and Jazz, and have been looking for "that sound" in another post (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3066480)

So far I've found one Swedish brother who "gets" exactly what I'm after:

He's one heck of a singer too. His voice reminds me of Christopher Cross:

It's interesting how often I come across "tasteful" Swedish players nowadays. Besides Henrik in the links above, here are a few professional ones I enjoyed:

Joel Lyssarides:

Jonas Gröning:

Stefan Jernståhl:

And that oberservation brings up a bigger but directly related topic, one that's been cringing me for over 20 years: What these European (and a lot of Japanese) players are playing is 100% "American" music. Yet, our airwaves here in the states have been filled with garbage and childish drivel.

We already have two generations (GenZ and Millennials) of tone-deaf listeners as a consequence of cutting music education and labels chasing the bottom due to greed. If I have 10 billion dollars of stupid money, I'll acquire and burn all the major record labels to the ground, and recreate a distribution model for the hundreds of thousands of talented American musicians to be heard and appreciated again. For most casual listeners, musical taste is a result of nurture more than nature, and there's definitely good business for good music, as the 70s~90's have proven to us.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing, as well as the vocal he's totally got the Richard Tee thing down nailed.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Re: the second link. It's the first time I've see F-B-d fingered as 1-4-5. I think he's doing that so that finger 3 can flick the Bb grace note. But everyone else I've seen slides 3 from Bb to B.

Still loved it though. Nice choice of synth patch for the solo in the Still Crazy cover - very Arc of a Diver-era Steve Winwood.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for sharing, as well as the vocal he's totally got the Richard Tee thing down nailed.

Glad you enjoyed it niacin. And yes, there's definitely some tasty Richard Tee in Henrik's playing.

Re: the second link. It's the first time I've see F-B-d fingered as 1-4-5. I think he's doing that so that finger 3 can flick the Bb grace note. But everyone else I've seen slides 3 from Bb to B.

Still loved it though. Nice choice of synth patch for the solo in the Still Crazy cover - very Arc of a Diver-era Steve Winwood.

Cheers, Mike

Yes, most players would slide down from Bb to B with one finger. I do find his two-finger approach sounding tighter though.

The synth solo patch you mentioned is very Minimoog-ish, Henrik programmed it in Logic's internal ES2 synth.

and then we have sweden's finest on the b3

https://www.facebook.com/673615735/videos/10157535425675736/

What a nice surprise to see you here Woody! I love your excellent Youtube channel.

Thanks for recommending that wonderful piece from Pierre. It reminds of another... well, you guessed it, Swedish musician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-Vciy8U9Y.

And then there's ...

Haha, if we shall go down that rabbit hole, here's one to help me feel better about my own talents (or the lack thereof):

For better or worse, that "Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga" line has "Pop" written all over it, just like the intro of "Walk The Dinosaur", or "Who Let The Dogs Out" and hundreds of similar, musically anemic, but popular songs.

Here's an anecdote: in the 80's, a Taiwanese singer sampled the "Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga" line in a song, and it soon went viral. There were so many kids chanting ""Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga" on campus and streets that the Taiwanese Ministry of Culture freaked out and banned the song from circulation.