Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Mics you / I own, what's good?
Doerfler #3065455 10/09/20 04:46 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Doerfler
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
It does sound great. What do you use yours for?

been a strange year for me, looks like that will continue into 2021. Mine are still factory sealed.

That's why I've spent time setting things up.

I can flick a couple of switches, fire up the toys and start tracking. I don't do it often enough but there is progress.
Hope you get time to play soon!

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Dr. Mike Island
KuruPrionz #3066240 10/16/20 04:33 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Today I sold a CAD Equitek E-100 (2), and a CAD M9. Why?

They were both good sounding mics but I didn't bond with the logistics of using them. The E-100 uses batteries to provide as much current as is needed to the condenser capsule. The batteries are charged by phantom power.
This means it can be used without phantom power for a few hours. It also means that forgetting to switch the mic off will result in a fairly time consuming re-charging event. I've done that twice now, enough. The switches make popping noises when engaged, not surprising. I don't need a pad or HPF on the mic, I have those on mic preamps. I tried a clip on pop filter and it was pretty good but the Blue pop filter is much better. I only have one of those, moving it around it just extra time spent. Last but not least, I didn't have a shock mount for this mic and didn't want to pay for one. Somebody else will enjoy it, it's a good mic.

The M9 is a tube condenser mic, with an extremely long 6 pin XLR cable to hook up from the mic to the power supply, which is a good sized and heavy box that requires AC power. Using it requires hooking up 3 cords instead of 1 and the 6 pin cord is really long, inconvenient in a small home project studio. It is also very expensive to replace. Changing the tube did not change the tone much if any, I am not sure how much of a "tube tone" the mic really has. Same story with the pop filter as above but it does have a nice shock mount. Best performance comes from turning it on and letting the tube warm up for 15-20 minutes, harder to be spontaneous with that factored in. It did sound really good and somebody else will have fun with it.

Today I also bought a pair of Neat Worker Bee mics from Sweetwater. I have a King Bee and it's a great mic. I don't have a pair of anything, sometimes that is a good thing to have. At $89 each these are a screaming bargain, very well reviewed. And, they are simple. No switches. One mic cable to hook up, they come with quality shock mounts (same as the King Bee) and snap-on pop filters that work well (same as the King Bee).

I simplified my studio life and I'm looking forward to the changes. Even little things make a difference. I can set these up to record acoustic guitar and leave them. If I want to toss down a track or two it won't take long to fire things up.

KuruPrionz #3066280 10/16/20 03:34 PM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Selling mics is tough for me. confused

I have this pair of Soundelux U195s. I never use them - not because I don't like them, there are just other mics I tend to like better. I've moved to sell them a few times, but just can't seem to do it.

I have no problem selling off other gear...wonder what's holding me back on the mics? idk

dB

Grave Bryce #3066291 10/16/20 04:36 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Grave Bryce

I have this pair of Soundelux U195s. I never use them - not because I don't like them, there are just other mics I tend to like better. I've moved to sell them a few times, but just can't seem to do it.

I have no problem selling off other gear...wonder what's holding me back on the mics? idk

dB

Me too!!!! I thought about selling the two mics listed above, photographed them, started a listing and stopped. Then I talked myself into it and went ahead. They didn't last long so I had no opportunity to change my mind.
Today I'll ship them both out. And, Sweetwater will probably have tracking for my Worker Bees by days-end as well.

I usually get the new thing before getting rid of the old thing, in case the new thing isn't "it" or I can keep them both. This time I jumped in, I should know what I have done soon enough. I feel positive about the change, I know the logisitcs will be simpler and I love my King Bee. So does one of my creative partners, she would say "Let's use the Bee mic" having picked it out based on playing tracks back. Now I just have it set up to start with.

I really didn't have any problems with the way either CAD mic sounded.

Since I do have a very few mics that I pretty much want to keep no matter what, I am inclined to try and add to that part of my accumulation. I'll keep my Shure KSM8, it's attributes are subtle but I find it very useful.

I am very curious about these new mics that allow you to record separate tracks from each side of the capsule and create your own patterns in software. Austrian Audio and Lewitt both offer one.
I am also kinda "drooly" for the Roswell Colares. I want one, someday!!!!

Grave Bryce #3066362 10/16/20 10:40 PM
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Grave Bryce

Good microphones seem to hold more of their value than other-than-vintage other audio gear. To me, that makes them worth while selling if I really don't use them, because I wouldn't lose as much cash as if I was selling, say, an M-Audio interface, or an ADAT recorder.

That's my theory. In practice, I can't remember ever selling anything from my audio gear collection. That's why I have so much stuff that I don't use any more. Problem is that none of it is "famous-vintage" so if I tried to sell it either I wouldn't get any bites or I would get so little money for it that it wouldn't be worth the time to make the deal. On the other hand, if you wanted to get a DAT or PCM-F1 tape converted to WAV files, you'd be happy that I never sold that gear. I work cheaper than Iron Mountain. wink

Mike Rivers #3066406 10/17/20 03:35 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Good microphones seem to hold more of their value than other-than-vintage other audio gear. To me, that makes them worth while selling if I really don't use them, because I wouldn't lose as much cash as if I was selling, say, an M-Audio interface, or an ADAT recorder.

That's my theory. In practice, I can't remember ever selling anything from my audio gear collection.

The good microphone paradigm has been shifting for the last few years. The classics will remain so - Neumann U-47 or Telefunken 251 will always fetch big $$$$ and be a "bragging rights" mic for a select few who've made it up into rarified air.
There will always be "sleepers", great mics that punch above their weight and can be had used for bargain prices.
SM58 and 57 have always been valuable but never worth much even new.
Improved communications access, improved technology in design and manufacturing and an overall increase in companies who make/have made for them/sell microphones means that competition has never been this fierce in the microphone sector.
Some mics continue to hold value well - AKG 414 series mics are a good example.

And some things just simply slip through the cracks and go unnoticed (Peavey 520i) or circumstances make them available at absurd prices (the Neat Worker Bees I just bought new for well under half of original street price).

Compare the availability, quality and pricing of ribbon mics to 15 years ago. Consider what it means when Sweetwater puts Sennheiser MD421 mics on sale new for $199.
The AKG D224E mics that you and I own are pretty rare in working condition, very good microphones and a bit of a cult classic in an obscure way. There is currently nothing like them available on the marketplace and it is unlikely that anybody will produce them with condenser mics being all the rage these days. They will hold value or go up as time goes on. For now I intend to keep mine, it is useful here.

CAD mics like the ones I just sold are a bit off the beaten path. The company was an early adapter to offering value for lower prices. Their R+D Dept had/has some forward thinking engineers who introduced new and useful tech. Someday I'll probably get one of the most recent iterations of the CAD E-100 series - the E100S. It gets uniformly excellent reviews and can be had in the $400 range all day long if you don't mind used gear (I don't). The noise floor is so low it might as well not exist.

I am grateful for the variety and still learning which mics will perform well in my own situation. Until I can improve my isolation from external noise, some mics fare much better here than others. Trial and error on the lower end of the scale can inform what might be useful up the ladder a few rungs.

I am patient, this is an evolutionary process for me. I'm in a good spot now, that took some time.

KuruPrionz #3066449 10/18/20 04:49 AM
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
Consider what it means when Sweetwater puts Sennheiser MD421 mics on sale new for $199.

October 2020 is the 60th anniversary of the famed Sennheiser MD421, which is why Sennheiser dropped the price for a short while. Had nothing to do with Sweetwater, plenty other retailers were selling this microphone for the same price.
Hope you were able to pick up one or 2 at this price. As for me, I passed. Most other did not. The mics are backordered until December 2020 as of this writing.

guinness keys
Doerfler #3066450 10/18/20 05:27 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Doerfler
Consider what it means when Sweetwater puts Sennheiser MD421 mics on sale new for $199.

October 2020 is the 60th anniversary of the famed Sennheiser MD421, which is why Sennheiser dropped the price for a short while. Had nothing to do with Sweetwater, plenty other retailers were selling this microphone for the same price.
Hope you were able to pick up one or 2 at this price. As for me, I passed. Most other did not. The mics are backordered until December 2020 as of this writing.

Good info! I saw it and moved on so no other vendors. Makes sense. I have a beat up older one, still more or less the same model as the new one. Great mic, love it up close to the edge of the cone on guitar amps. Better than a 57, which is not bad at all. I can do what I want to do with the mics I have now - including the pair of Neat Worker Bees that should be here Thursday. Everything else is onesies, a pretty nice range. I like having different ones.

KuruPrionz #3067644 10/27/20 03:30 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
My mic stash has changed a bit and I've learned more about a couple of them so here is an update.

I sold the Azden shotgun mic, the Audix OM2, CAD Equitek E-100-2, CAD M9 and I'm going to try a couple of things with the Audio Technica - maybe it gets sold too. I gave the Fender mic to a friend, she needed a mic and it's not bad at all. Thinned the herd a bit and used most of the money to buy another mic pre and...

A pair of Neat Worker Bees. Sweetwater still has them for $90 each with free shipping. My pair showed up last week, I mounted them on a stereo bar on their included shock mounts and set them up AB. Great setup for acoustic guitar, just for one.

Shure KSM8, I am working on a project with a female lead singer. We tried the KSM8, Neat King Bee, Heil PR40 and CAD D82 (ribbon). We both liked the KSM8 the best and the D82 came in second. With a Blue pop filter about 1 1/4" inches off the front of the grille and her back a couple more inches, all she has to do is raise her head up slightly when she supercharges her voice and it still picks up an accurate tonal range without plosives or sibilance. The cardioid pattern is accurate over a huge frequency range and the proximity effect is very well controlled, it doesn't "thin out" or get "boomy" the way most cardioid dynamic mics do, a real improvement. I've been consistently happy with the KSM8, I started using it for my main live vocal mic before Covid and it delivers there better by far than anything else I've owned. So that's a win, and a keeper.

AKG D224E. We've all heard so many times that you just don't aim a mic at the soundhole of a guitar. Having tried it with other mics and having been in the room with somebody else tried it, it's easy to understand why. Most of the time that "technique" will deliver an unusable boomy sound, not real pretty and impossible to control. The D224E can be aimed straight in from about 6 inches back and it sounds just like a guitar. Not high output but a Cloudlifter fixes that problem. I'm pretty sure you could use it on just about anything and get a nice sound with it. I'm lucky to own one and will keep it too.

Last but not least, for my voice I also really love the Neat King Bee. The snap on pop filter (genius idea) works great and I can use the proximity to good effect if I am careful to find the sweet spot and stay there. If I'm singing a low part and move in a bit closer it really fills it out nicely. I should have bought another one when they were $100, I may have to pay a little more and get one anyway.

That's it for now, unless opportunity rears it's head again...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay 

Link Copied to Clipboard