Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Little Off Topic--a Mac/Time Machine and Logic Question

So...a song I've been working on for weeks is suddenly all screwed up. The other night, it was fine. Now the sampled vibes part has moved around and won't sound, even though I see it. Same with another track. Can't get them straightened out. Don't recall doing anything that could have caused this. My undo history doesn't go back far enough to get to when it was all perfect.

How can I use Time Machine to restore an older version of the project? I've never really gotten into Time Machine before.

Thanks!

Doug

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've been using Time Machine and letting it do automatic backups, then it should have a backup of that file from whenever it was right. First, go to where the file is saved in the Finder. If you have the Time Machine icon in your menu bar, just click on it and select "Enter Time Machine." Once you're in there (and it might take a minute depending on how many backups and the speed of your Time Machine drive), there are a couple of different ways to "go back in time". You can either use the controls in the center of the screen, or the scale on the right to go to a date where the file should have been okay. Select the file and click Restore or whatever. It will ask you if you want to replace the newer version or keep both. You might want to keep both in case the backup doesn't work right either, but it should.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I generally know this stuff after years of Mac use, but its a welcome addition to the ol' Mac Tips folder. How many times do I go there for small mutant refreshers like this when I'm on the run & working? Hella plenty, so thank you! :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

One of the best uses of Time Machine is that you can recover old work. While it's useful for a complete restore, if you deleted a file or mangled it in some way, maybe you took it down a path you decided wasn't the right one, you can go back to an old version. It's probably the easiest backup interface I've seen for that kind of thing. I mean, I also make clones of my main drive regularly, but that doesn't save lots of old versions (the software I use might save a couple, I don't remember). Time Machine keeps old versions until it starts running out of space.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Time Machine has another cool function - which I helped a buddy use just this morning. He put a new SSD in his MacBook Air. During the MacOS install, you're asked if you want to import an existing user and one option is "from a TM backup"... hook it up, let it do its thing, and you're good to go.