Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Build Project Time

Looks awesome! Do you plan on having the pedal board mounted on the stand so that it also rolls with you, if you envision using the wheels as part of your stage performance? I am sure you remember some of my posts about the rolling/tilting stands I've used over the past 30+ years and I've enjoyed having the pedals all mounted in place on the rolling platform. Just takes a little getting used to navigating the pedals a little bit higher off the ground. My favorite one includes Vonnor's magic with multipin cable snakes and it is a very clean look that is easy to set up as well.

Nice work! I can't wait to see the colors you're doing.

Hey Eric, thanks!

No the pedal board won't be rolling with the stand. Once I'm in place, that's where I play. Yes, of course, I remember your cool posts about your rolling and tilting stand. Good stuff

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice project - looks killer.

Do you think with these components one could orient the top tier so it is further back? I'm not a fan of overlapping much. The first stand I ever had (the invlsible stand) is the only one I've used that allowed the top keyboard to have almost no overlap. I can't find anything close to that with the current crop of options.

Yes.

First, using only the current hardware, I could simply move the front pegs on the top tier bars back. Of course the bars would still overlap the bottom keys.

Next, again with same hardware, I could turn the tube clamps around so the top cross member tube is on the back side of the vertical tubes.

With different hardware. I could change the two vertical tubes to curved tubes so that the top of the vertical sit back from the bottom.

Or, using current vertical tubes, cut down a couple short tubes and have them go horizontal off the vertical, etc..etc.

This is where Gibraltar's saying is if we can think it up we can build it. So many different type of clamps, etc..

I'm sure as time goes by, my current project will evolve.

David

Breaking down the stand.

Sorry no video yet, but here's a few pictures.

First, I unlock the wheels and loosen the clamp at the top of one vertical tube. Then swing that side in and re-tighten clamp

JsH1wj.jpg

Rinse and repeat on the other side, and now I can just roll away

zArs9Z.jpg

The stand is 35" tall, and the top cross tube is 48" wide. As I said previously, this very easily stand on the back seat floor of my truck.

However, if I need to conserve more space, I can simply loosen two clamps, and I now have 3 easily stowed pieces

UH6neQ.jpg

Re-assembly takes no time since everything is pre-lined up. The tops of the vertical tube line up directly with the tops of the clamps. So, loosone the clamps, get one tube in, tighten, then do other side. Maybe 45 seconds :)

David

Colorizing begins:

After much hemming and hawing (and I've never really hemmed nor hawed before) I have decided to stay true to my project making roots and do the colorizing myself.

I did a lot of research, and even spoke to a couple friends who do hot rod builds and restoration (my hobby as well).

I found out that my favorite Dupli-Color rattle can Metalicast paint was/is designed to be painted directly over chrome. It is essentially a tinted clear coat that uses and lets the polished chrome shine thru.

It is the reason why, when painting my Vortex 2, I had to first use the Dupli-Color Metalicast "ground coat" that creates the bright chrome-like appearance under the color coat.

As a reminder:

Vortex 2 with ground coat

zLO00I.jpg

Vortex 2 with color coat

7MroEc.jpg

So, being the fearless one I am with these things, and went to the auto paint supply shop and got my supplies.

Use a lint free cloth to wipe down a tube of any fingerprints.

Then spray a light coat in one pass. (this avoids any drips) Let that dry for 10 minutes, then rotate the tube, and do that section with one light pass.

Keep doing this until you reach the desired depth of color.

That top horizontal tube will get the adhesion promoter and ground coat since it's not chromed. Then the color coat.

Here are the two vertical tubes I did yesterday. I like it!

Wv2i1U.png

David

Cool - thanks! Would love to come up with a design that works for me.

Go play here, and if you do go down this path feel free to share your design ideas and I'm happy to help

Gibraltar

Also, check out "Brent's Hang" on YouTube. He's from Gibraltar and has a few videos on stand design and various hardware pieces.

David

Gaddamn it's awesome. And it breaks down smaller / more conveniently than I could have imagined. I am starting to GAS.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Looks awesome! I love the way it folds into smaller pieces. Bravo for tackling the paint job! Were any innocent X-stands sacrificed during this project? :wave:

lol

That X-Stand is the same one of been using as my paint booth. Notice all the colors on the end of the one arm :)

David

Gaddamn it's awesome. And it breaks down smaller / more conveniently than I could have imagined. I am starting to GAS.

Thank you!

Yeah I designed it so breaking it into 3 pieces is still just loosening the same two top clamps.

David

Outstanding work David! Gibraltar gear is a tad exxy down our way, otherwise I'd have a serious look at emulating your work.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Looking good!

Great you are doing the colour yourself! :)

.....That top horizontal tube will get the adhesion promoter and ground coat since it's not chromed. Then the color coat....

Presumably that horizontal tube is the aluminium tube you got from Lowes, so just plain surface currently?

Will you need to do any prep. (like rub down) or just de-grease before ground coat?

Cheers

Hugh

Looking good!

Presumably that horizontal tube is the aluminium tube you got from Lowes, so just plain surface currently?

Will you need to do any prep. (like rub down) or just de-grease before ground coat?

Cheers

Hugh

That bar is actually a hybrid steel/aluminum. All I need to do is clean it then proceed to ground coat.

David

Outstanding work David! Gibraltar gear is a tad exxy down our way, otherwise I'd have a serious look at emulating your work.

Yes. It is the clamps that add up. in $USD, the right angle clamps were 18.25 each. I have 8 of them. The tubes themselves are negligible.

David

David, you're really inspiring / tempting me.

My Spider is showing its wear and tear.

You've got me thinking again about Gibraltar's Foundation DJ stand, and adding the second tier a la the Key Tree curved tube. I don't yet have the confirmed bookings to justify this in my head. But then, my head was never the voice that argued for upgrading my keyboard gear LOL

Tim

Looking good!

Cheers

Hugh

That bar is actually a hybrid steel/aluminum. All I need to do is clean it then proceed to ground coat.

Ah! Gotcha - thanks.

You've got me thinking again about Gibraltar's Foundation DJ stand, and adding the second tier a la the Key Tree curved tube. I don't yet have the confirmed bookings to justify this in my head. But then, my head was never the voice that argued for upgrading my keyboard gear LOL

Tim

Hey Tim. I hear ya on that ð

That DJ Foundation with the curved key tree for 2nd tier would be cool

David

Exact same boat for me. I've had mine for 5 years now and it's looking raggedy and is kind of flimsy. Still so handy for breaking down into a mere tube, and still has its own sleek thing happening on stage. But I like how solid the Gibraltar looks.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Dave, this thread is so darn inspiring. It does mean that any two keyboards can be aligned and brought close to each other in a rock solid rig right?

Wow.

:thx:

Yes!

The joy I have discovered with the drum rack hardware is that I can come up with some seriously funky designs should I choose.

This is the main reason I went with a very basic design to begin with after researching other's stands built with Gibraltar stuff. I can test the waters with this.

In fact, I've been sketching out some version 2 ideas ;)

David

All done!!!!!

CkvezA.jpg

I went back to using the 30' tube up top instead of the 48'. Makes it even more compact. I"m able to easily use my mic boom clamp in the middle of the tube.

uoKhdu.jpg

YeLfId.jpg

NPBv7t.jpg

Overall I"m very happy with how it turned out.

I"m especially pleased with the paint. It actually came out better than I expected. The Dupli-color Metalicast does what it says it does.

I did have a couple drips in the first tube, but that was easily corrected

You literally need to hold the can 12 inches from the surface and spray one fast pass right to left.

This process was about 5 passes per tube to get the depth I wanted. Hopefully the sun will come out and I can get some good daylight pictures.

For those contemplating any project, I say go for it.

My so called skills are just an accumulation of a lifetime of trying, failing, and learning.

Anyway. Time for pedal board. First I need to woodshed a few tunes for a VH memorial show. (Feels So Good, Right Now, Love Walks In, When It"s Love, and Jump.

Peace out

David

Beautiful!

Question - I'm sure the castors lock, but does that stop them from swiveling also?

Thank you.

Yes the casters lock and part of the mechanism is a geared cam that also locks the swivel plates

Once in place and locked, it"s not going anywhere

David

Love these threads. Your design is so simple and looks great, David (as always)!

Inspired me to get the chrome outta the case. Needs a re-think of the brace keeping the rear keyboard support correct.

Wish I had more straight bars handy. These curved ones are a bugger to re-work! Is the diameter a standard size I could get from a metalwork shop� Hmmm!

ouP241W.jpg

uohRdQj.jpg

jRG24Oe.jpg

Oj4IrOm.jpg

G0HB83f.jpg

SB9uiL9.jpg

Since the Kronos 73 keyboard is no more (see the racks thread⦠;-) ), I just got this SV1 from a friend of mine.

Thought I'd give it a nice stand at home. Using the Spider Pro for the couple of gigs I've gotâ¦

This is a re-work of a lot of those curved bars from thisâ¦

FsdIKny.jpg

r9nWyMl.jpg

Looks awesome! I love the way it folds into smaller pieces. Bravo for tackling the paint job! Were any innocent X-stands sacrificed during this project? :wave:

lol

That X-Stand is the same one of been using as my paint booth. Notice all the colors on the end of the one arm :)

Too funny. I've been using my x-stand for similar uses and as a general saw horse over the years. Despite the number of times I've inadvertently partially cut through the top bars it's never let me down. :facepalm:

Great job David. Looks fantastic and will keep this in mind should the need arise. :2thu: