Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz? Blues? Gospel?

I've been trying to figure out the genre of a Yamaha demo song (see SoundCloud link below) and artists/records that have a similar style (especially harmony-wise).

So far, the closest genre I've found is Urban Gospel.

Have you heard of songs/music similar to this tune? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little of all of those things you mentioned but if I had to put it down to one style I'd say it's got an 80s fusion and smooth jazz vibe. Check out stuff like Fourplay and The Yellowjackets. For the second tune check out the stuff that David Garfield was involved with in the 80s including Steve Lukather's 'Los Lobotomys'.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Special blend?

Pop drum beat.

Bass was kinda prog-funky-ish lays back.

Lead synth was kind of Captain and Tennille get woke?

Blospazz or GospJaBlu?

Not much help, it is packed with influences!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's a little of all of those things you mentioned but if I had to put it down to one style I'd say it's got an 80s fusion and smooth jazz vibe. Check out stuff like Fourplay and The Yellowjackets. For the second tune check out the stuff that David Garfield was involved with in the 80s including Steve Lukather's 'Los Lobotomys'.

Thanks for the recommendations, Bobadeath. I'm a big fan of YellowJackets, Garfield and Lukather. And I agree that it's most likely the tasteful mixture of the different ingredients that made the first piece so refreshing to me.

And you're absolutely right that the second piece would fit perfectly in a Los Lobotomys album.

Special blend?

Pop drum beat.

Bass was kinda prog-funky-ish lays back.

Lead synth was kind of Captain and Tennille get woke?

Blospazz or GospJaBlu?

Not much help, it is packed with influences!!!

Yes, it sounds simple but is packed with influences like you said. I like the way you named it: GospJaBlue, maybe we'll just call it something like BluJaspel. :D

To me the first one reminds me of mid-80's GRP All Stars (Grusin, Ritenour, Laboriel, et.al.). If I had to assign a genre "label" to it, it might be "smooth jazz played by actual jazzers".

[video:youtube]

Yes, I do hear the early 80's Gospel/Jazz keyboard influence in the first piece. Richard Tee and Koinoia's music comes to mind.

I don't know what early unset of the artificial intelligence age is supposed to teach mankind, "being a label nerd serves a greater purpose"?

Could simply call it slightly fun semi-pro rubbish for keyboard (arrangers and stuff) players, which of course like most decent fusion/jazz mindfull music pays some tribute to blues elements, what's gospel has got to do with it is lost in all the contemporary fake good news message mixup, imo.

T

slightly fun semi-pro rubbish
As opposed to the extremely fun amateur rubbish that I put out.

The OP's track (disregarding the spacey opening bars) reminded me more than anything of Donald Fagen's cover of Ruby Baby, accelerated slightly - cueing from the midtempo shuffle and the occasional hits on 4&.

Cheers, Mike.

slightly fun semi-pro rubbish
As opposed to the extremely fun amateur rubbish that I put out.

The OP's track (disregarding the spacey opening bars) reminded me more than anything of Donald Fagen's cover of Ruby Baby, accelerated slightly - cueing from the midtempo shuffle and the occasional hits on 4&.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, I'm a sucker for shuffle so rhythm certainly contributed to my fondness of that piece. But it's mostly the harmony that sounded refreshing to me.

While I do dig Donald Fagen's Ruby Baby and lots of Steely Dan's music, I don't recall any harmony similar to the first demo song in their tunes.

Here's another example with a heavier Blues flavor.

The "big horns over shuffle" feel of this second tune reminds me of

, a track on a guitar shred-fest by an early 90s Mark Varney. Taken together the tracks make me nostalgic for genre-blending instrumental music from 80s and 90s. There is a slight LA studio feel as well.

There is a slight LA studio feel as well.
Yup - that's the correct name for whatever this style is!
I think that's a pretty apt label/description. Perfect production but somewhat synthetic feel. Kind of smooth jazz crossed with Toto and some Steely Dan, but lacking the pop songcraft so it's ultimately sterile, at least for me.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Here's another example with a heavier Blues flavor.

The "big horns over shuffle" feel of this second tune reminds me of

, a track on a guitar shred-fest by an early 90s Mark Varney. Taken together the tracks make me nostalgic for genre-blending instrumental music from 80s and 90s. There is a slight LA studio feel as well.

Yup, it's got that "LA Studio", "Westcoast Session" vibe.

There's a bit of Jam & Lewis and Tower of Power in there too, if I try split the hair a little.

There is a slight LA studio feel as well.
Yup - that's the correct name for whatever this style is!
I think that's a pretty apt label/description. Perfect production but somewhat synthetic feel. Kind of smooth jazz crossed with Toto and some Steely Dan, but lacking the pop songcraft so it's ultimately sterile, at least for me.

It sounds synthetic because it is. The whole tune came out of a 90's Yamaha entry-level XG sound module. the XG modules (DB50, MU10~MU2000) are Yamaha's answer to Roland's Sound Canvas series that were popular among PC gamers and DTM (DeskTopMusic) enthusiasts in Japan.

When compared to Yamaha and Roland's pro lines like the SY and XP/JV series, the MU and SC romplers are typically a compromise in terms of features and sound. For that reason, the second song is about as good as what we can squiz out of a $200 XG synth.

Rom sample/programming qualities aside, MIDI programming of XG and GS official demo songs are often top notch. One of these demo tune creators, Ujiie Katsunori, has a popular Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/musictrackjp/videos) and regularly demos synths from all kinds of era and manufacturers.

Here's another example with a heavier Blues flavor. It reminds me of Bonnie Raitt's "Love Sneakin' Up On You". But I haven't heard many other tunes with similar harmony. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

With the combination of a heavier sound and the swing, it puts me in mind of Aerosmith's Rag Doll.

It sounds synthetic because it is. The whole tune came out of a 90's Yamaha entry-level XG sound module. the XG modules (DB50, MU10~MU2000) are Yamaha's answer to Roland's Sound Canvas series that were popular among PC gamers and DTM (DeskTopMusic) enthusiasts in Japan.

I was going to say that it reminded me of the kind of canned demo that would come with the Sound Canvas, and you nailed it.

Like everyone else, to my ears it's trying to achieve the smooth jazz vibe that you'd hear on FM radio or Muzak in the 90s.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Here's another example with a heavier Blues flavor. It reminds me of Bonnie Raitt's "Love Sneakin' Up On You". But I haven't heard many other tunes with similar harmony. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

With the combination of a heavier sound and the swing, it puts me in mind of Aerosmith's Rag Doll.

Yup, I had the exact same thought. Too bad Aerosmith only did two songs in swing rhythm (the other one being "Love in the Elevator") as far as I remember, I loved both songs and wish they had collaborated with some Jazz players on a hybrid project.

Well, I guess that where Steve Lukather and projects like Los Lobotomys come in.

I was going to say that it reminded me of the kind of canned demo that would come with the Sound Canvas, and you nailed it.

Like everyone else, to my ears it's trying to achieve the smooth jazz vibe that you'd hear on FM radio or Muzak in the 90s.

The strange thing is I've listened to a ton of Smooth Jazz from 70's to 90's and have yet to hear something similar to the first tune harmony-wise. On the other hand, modern Black Gospel sometimes offer refreshing harmony patterns that remind me of this song.