Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Keyboard Controller with Audio Interface?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Studiologic has a model with an interface in it (it actually might have sounds as well) but I'm not positive.

I've looked for this as well. My MODX has one but it's 1) expensive if you just need a controller and 2) isn't a great controller IMO due to no aftertouch and super-light action.

I was mainly looking for interfaces that would work with IOS which narrows it down further perhaps, since those have to be class-compliant (no drivers, which you can install on a computer).

Is this for live or home use? There are some pretty inexpensive audio interfaces out there, my Behringer 4 in/out model has worked great for years with low latency and cost me less than 100 bucks. That said, it's a bit clunky to take out for gigs.

If it is for home, then I'd actually prefer to have them be separate, as then you can use various keyboards if desired (weighted, small one for quick parts, organ feel etc) and don't have to make a purchase based on the audio interface specs. Likewise for the audio interface. Also, if you are going to record anything using a regular non-usb microphone I'm not sure if any keyboard is going to have a preamp, while standalone interfaces do. As I mentioned, mine has 4 inputs (uphoria 404hd) and while typically I only need one at a time for vocals, it wasn't much extra money. I did step up one model in order to get a midi port, my old controller I was using at the time didn't have usb.

For gigs, it would be handy to have it be all in one just from the standpoint of less cables and gear to hook up, forget at home etc :D

For gigs, it would be handy to have it be all in one just from the standpoint of less cables and gear to hook up, forget at home etc :D

Yes, that's really the only advantage I see of it, live use, and even then, really only if you have a PC. At home, I'd rather be able to choose the interface that has the particular features I want. But at a gig, if your source is a PC, it gives you the advantages you list. If your source is a Mac or an iPad, it doesn't necessarily save you anything, since if you're not doing audio in but just using these things as sound sources, you can usually get by fine without an interface. So the total number of devices and cables to run remains the same either way... with just a pretty minor advantage that with the interface in the keyboard, you'd probably have the more common pair of 1/4" audio outs, whereas you typically need an 1/8" breakout cable to get from the Mac/iPad to the 1/4" connection you probably want. (Unless you have one of the iPads that doesn't have a headphone jack.) The point being that I think it's a pretty niche-y need, a subgroup of a subgroup of a subgroup (giggers using Windows PCs from soundless controllers), unless I'm missing something. (In a keyboard that has its own sounds, the built in audio interface has some other advantages.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Most Roland stuff has digital audio out but you need a driver because one cannot run MIDI and class compliant audio at the same time apparently. (Haven't looked at the details, but this is the claim.) One would expect the simple solution here is to add two USB ports, but hey, cost. Plus now we get into sync issues.

Ideally everything would have an AVB ethernet jack on it and we'd be done. Call me a dreamer.

It's far more important for large multi-out cases. E.g. drum brains and keys with lots of layers and splits where one wants to adjust balance after recording. One can always record MIDI and either use VST instruments to make the sound or replay it back through the board, but that's a lot of effort to do simple mixing. Getting this right would also allow much more sensible modularity in e.g. effects processing, mixing, and monitoring. Then again, maybe folks who like that kind of world just move to a complete software setup with a controller.

-Z-

You might consider a used Virus TI 61, which has high quality interface, effects, and a great keybed.

$1200 would get you a very nice one.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

IK Multimedia has an Irig Keys I/O with a USB audio interface. I think the largest is 61 keys. Have not used it.

It's an interesting "gap" that you have identified, wd8dky. All the best.

49 keys. I got one for a specific reason different than what is discussed here. It has pros (light, compact, battery power) and cons (proprietary connectors, limited controllers) which have been outlined in other threads and I won't get into here. One nice thing with the built-in audio is that in addition to the two analog outputs, the analog input supports phantom power. Gives you the option of not using a mixer in some live solo situations...but in that case you would likely want at least 61 keys. If someone made a keyboard with similar audio options (two out, one mic/line in with phantom power) with 61 weighted keys and standard reliable USB connectors, I could see it being popular with buskers. Keys + ipad/computer + mic + portable amp and you are good.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman