Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Valente Electric Piano

https://valentepianos.com/

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

WEIGHING IN AT ONLY 41.8 LBS, IT"S TRULY PORTABLE.

HAMMER ACTION WITH BUILT-IN MECHANISM MADE OF POLYMERS GIVING IT A SMOOTH AND NICE FEEL

HARP BUILT FROM A DELICATE SYSTEM OF COUNTER-HAMMERS AND REEDS WITH MACHINED COMPONENTS, MANUALLY ADJUSTED ONE-BY-ONE

NEODYMIUM ELECTROMAGNETIC PICKUPS DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE VALENTE ELECTRIC PIANO.

NATURAL EXOTIC SUSTAINABLE ANDIROBA WOOD EDGES WITH MATTE VARNISH FINISH.

VINYL LID.

PEDAL AND DAMPER PULL-SYSTEM THAT CAN BE DISASSEMBLED.

FRIENDLY INTERFACE WITH OUTPUT, VOLUME AND BASS BOOSTER AND BRILLIANCE CONTROL KNOBS.

EASY ONE-HAND MOVEMENT TO ACCESS THE CONTROL KNOBS.

STRAIGHT-UP FACTORY WARRANTY. IF THERE ARE ANY MANUFACTURING PROBLEMS, WE"LL SHIP YOU A NEW ONE.

LEGS AND CASE ARE NOT INCLUDED.

$2,999

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unique sounding... looking forward to more and better examples. I knew right away it wasn't a Rhodes by tone, I thought, ok this sounds sort of like a Wurlitzer... sure enough it's a reed instrument. Very interesting all around. Price not bad, weight not bad. Very curious about this action he has built and what it feels like to play it.

I must be too old to think this piano will become a thing.

A thing, like a classic. One can never say what is going to transpire over time.... instrument makers have to give it a shot, right?

The Rhodes and Wurlitzer are things because of who played them and the great records they made with them.

It's a much bigger pond today, but I still appreciate the effort.

Digital instruments are way more convenient and capable. More practical.

But never as cool somehow.

Side topic - what is it about the years 1968-1972 that resonates so strongly with us. In instruments and amplifiers, albums, cars, motorcycles. A lot of vibe happening during this time period for the makers.

It sounds great. Reeds will be lighter than tines, no?

"Electric piano luthier" cracks me up. Root word to luthier is "lute" a fretted stringed instrument that proceeded the guitar. I think the word gets stretched a bit for violin makers.

"Electric piano guitar maker" - has a nice ring to it! :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It sounds great. Reeds will be lighter than tines, no?

"Electric piano luthier" cracks me up. Root word to luthier is "lute" a fretted stringed instrument that proceeded the guitar. I think the word gets stretched a bit for violin makers.

"Electric piano guitar maker" - has a nice ring to it! :laugh:

Good point - the keyboard builders/makers need a special name.

In Italian, produttore di pianoforte. Or costruttore di pianoforti. Not sure which is better Italian.

In French the Artist or designer works in the Atalier.

This is going somewhere but who knows where...

I was super excited about this when I first saw that it existed a little while ago. Then by the time I got to the end of the second video, all that excitement was gone. It's such a great idea, but the sound of it on those videos just doesn't appeal to me. It sounds sort of between a Wurli and a Rhodes, but without the parts of either that appeal to me. I'm open to changing my mind if future videos reveal something that's getting lost in the sound of these, though I consider that rather unlikely. But I definitely wish them well with it, as I'd love to see more instruments like this being developed.

Sounds like I imagine a Wurly would just before it goes kaput. Lacks the Wurly depth, bite, and color. But that doesn't mean it won't turn out to be a very cool instrument in it's own right. Maybe just need to hear it in the right hands, which didn't appear in that video. The Supertrampy riffing at the end was the only bit that started to draw me in.

But at a moment like this it's useful to imagine the likely reaction to the first Hammond organ, to wit: "doesn't sound like real organ," "lacks depth, color, and bite," etc etc

Super exciting to see new, real keyboards being made, even if I don't see owning one someday.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Some earlier discussion of the Valente in this thread: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3062549/spot-your-favorite-vintage-keyboard-scary-pockets

Jack Conte (Scary Pockets) can be seen playing a Valente in the video in the first post of the thread.

Indeed. However he can't be heard playing it, or is it just me. :idk:

:nopity:

Probably just needs some dirtying up, one of those smaller tube Fender bass amps from the 60's or 70's maybe and mic it up.

A Strat plugged into a high fidelity rig sounds like crap too. Analog needs a bit of nasty smeared onto it.

There's much to be said for playing a real electromechanical instrument, and this one is truly portable. My VV weighs 53 lbs, that's a little too much for me unfortunately. I'd love to try one out in person, because if the finger to sound connection is really good, that could go a long way to compensate for less than stellar sound.

Apparently the Valente has been around for a few years, though I don't know in what quantities. The fact that it hasn't created more of a buzz might be a good indicator of the reaction of people who have played it.

Adan, do you feel your VV piano (of course different in size and weight) is essentially a Rhodes without the years on it? Or is it different enough in tone and timbre to say its actually a different instrument despite it being a tine piano?

This Valente is essentially a reed piano and it sounds like a Wurlitzer - and yet not.

As with guitars - modifications, the amp choice, outboard fx etc, are going to dictate what this instrument sounds like. Not to mention who plays it. So we shall see.

A rhodes is a rhodes by any other name, and the Vintage Vibe is a rhodes. Doesn't sound or feel exactly like any other rhodes I've played, including ones I've played that were close to new. But then different rhodes models didn't sound or play exactly like each other either. I'd say the VV is within that realm of variation. I wish it had more of the crunch of a Suitcase I, but other than that I would take it over any vintage rhodes.

From what I'm hearing, comparing the Valente to a Wurly is not like comparing the VV to a rhodes.

$3000 for an ok sounding wurly clone (albeit beautifully crafted) seems like an ultra narrow niche. I wouldn't want to subject a hand-built unique keyboard like that to gig wear and tear, and I wouldn't consider owning one at all without money falling out of my pockets. If I'm looking at vintage-themed modern suitcase pianos, I'd be incredibly hard pressed not to get the Crumar Seven over this.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

$3000 for an ok sounding wurly clone (albeit beautifully crafted) seems like an ultra narrow niche. I wouldn't want to subject a hand-built unique keyboard like that to gig wear and tear, and I wouldn't consider owning one at all without money falling out of my pockets. If I'm looking at vintage-themed modern suitcase pianos, I'd be incredibly hard pressed not to get the Crumar Seven over this.

I wouldn't put the Seven or other digitals in the same thought as this Valente or the VV Electric Piano.

The options we have today are so wide, it really is a conundrum...

Do you or don't you gig and does the work/music you do require the chameleon like capabilities of a digital? Every sound category in splits, layers and fx with one button changes.

Does your act benefit from the feel and vibe of the more limited sound palette you get with electro mechanical instruments?

Are you content playing at home and prefer "real instruments" for their feel and timbre and dragging the weight around isn't an issue?

The digital facsimile instruments are a different thing altogether then... I mean the Seven is not as limited as it may have been. But if Crumar had made it a digital rhodes only. Is that an attractive option for home players? For giggers? The weight is less, the patch settings recall is nice. But $2309 for a digital engine that does only one thing, even if it does it well vs. a "real" instrument. Tough call. Thankfully, they made the decision to have the Seven do a few more tricks. But would I buy a DX7 clone that only does FM piano? Would I buy a digital Fender Rhodes clone that only did Fender Rhodes.... I'm not sure I would.

Does your act benefit from the feel and vibe of the more limited sound palette you get with electro mechanical instruments?
Yes. This.

I'm not in the market for any new electromechanical keyboards right now, but the price of the Valente isn't that outrageous compared to what a restored clav, Hammond, or Rhodes sometimes goes for (when I saw the promo video my bet was 5 grand easy). Whether or not it would be my choice over any of the above is another discussion, but I'm excited to know that it's out there. That's more exciting to me in the big picture than even the best, most convenient gigging board designed for ease, portability, and imitation.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I think its cool that there are still electro-mechanical instruments being made. Kudos to Vintage Vibe & Valente for proving that true craftsmanship isn't dead. Hopefully it will continue to be economically viable for them. VV seems to be making a go of it.
DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic www.fulcrum-acoustic.com

They sent one for Jordan to peruse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGU0l5RAnV1

The lighting FX on the top lid must be an add-on. As always, Jordan can sure play.

Personally, I like the sound of the instrument I'm hearing - but I'm not sure it's what I'd pay a custom boutique price for. I had not heard of Andiroba Wood before (or, frankly, the crab wood tree), but apparently the oil can be used for mosquito repellent.

I wish him well - it takes real courage to create and try to sell a new niche electric piano with craftsman workmanship.

So I've watched the video over the action several times and still can't figure this out. Are the reeds plucked like a Pianet or struck with hammers like a Wurli? Having owned both, there's a huge difference in dynamics and tonal variances between them - with the advantage definitely going to the Wurli.

The ad mentions hammer action but I don't see any hammers - and it doesn't necessarily mean there are any really. Just idle curiosity... I'm not in the market for a mechanical electric piano at this stage of my life.

So I've watched the video over the action several times and still can't figure this out. Are the reeds plucked like a Pianet or struck with hammers like a Wurli?
I'm going to guess they are struck. If they were plucked--at least if using the same kind of mechanism Hohner did--I don't think they could have implemented the sustain pedal (because the plucking mechanism is also the damper, so anything that would stop it from falling back to the reed would also stop the key itself from coming back up). Neverethless, I think it sounds much more like a Pianet than a Wurli (specifically, the later Pianet T, which did not sound as much like a Wurli as the earlier Pianet N did).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I admire and applaud those who undertake bringing forth new KB instruments. :thu:

If an opportunity presented itself, I'd imagine this new KB might be fun to take for a spin too.

Thankfully, I've reached that point in gear where nothing would compel me to buy one. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Vintage Vibe has their EP and Vibenet. They provide many video and audio clips of both. Every one of those clips has sound that inspires lust within my ears and fingers.

The Valente is attractive right up to the moment I hear it. Seriously, if this is what it really sounds like, I don't see how it is a thing.

-Z-

None of the commenters on the tone know how the keyboard was recorded or the signal chain.

The mic placement, the amp, the speaker, what are they? Was it done well? What if it was recorded on an iPhone after being played through a small Behringer keyboard amp or some such cheapass thing and in a fairly crappy sonding room to boot?

How do we know?

I guess I could contact them and ask. I don't play keyboards well enough to bother with it but I do know when there is not enough information. I've plugged great guitars into crappy sounding gear many times. I've also put a mic where it didn't quite sound great more than once.

My impression is that it has a deep, rich, organic tone that feels very satisfying. I"ve been wrong before...

Nice.

Ive looked on his website and no mention of where these are made.

I assumed europe by most of what i saw and read on website but the weight is only mentioned in pounds so i am assuming America as i cant imagine thered be no mention of metric weight if made in Europe. Can anyone elaborate?