Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Omnisphere 2.6 New User

Hello,

I am interested in Omnisphere 2.6. I prefer Prog Rock and early 80's.I am looking to create some of the Genesis,Yes, ELO, but mostly at present Genesis. Would this be a great purchase in my search in recreating some of the sounds . Lastly, does anyone know of any forums that i could, including this one that has information about helping me to create these sounds and to learn how to use Omnisphere. Thank you for your help

Matt

Omnisphere 2.6 New User

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. Everyone who uses Omnisphere raves about it.

I imagine if your goal is to recreate Genesis and other prog rock tunes, you might prefer to use in your projects the synthesizers (or their virtual equivalents) used to make those songs originally. While I am guessing Omnisphere can recreate the analog synthesis sounds in old prog rock tunes, it might take you longer to dial in the correct sound using Omnisphere than using a classic prog synth.

Given that Omnisphere can do so much more, I myself would make do with Omnisphere and would enjoy hearing what Omnisphere can bring to an old prog rock staple.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Is your purpose to produce using the sounds, or to play them live?

From the question itself, I"ll assume you"re not currently using Logic for production or MainStage for live playing, as both of those come with the excellent RetroSynth, which, along with the pretty okay Mellotron samples also part of the package, does a pretty great job at covering the basics for prog.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Just curious... is there a particular Genesis period you are wishing to cover? You mention the early 80s. If you look at their catalog, the early period through most of Duke is quite simple sonically (in the sense that you won't need Omnisphere for them). After that, there are a few digital and sampled sounds for which could use Omnisphere, particularly where TB used Synclavier, DX7 and JD800. Since Omnisphere is not a sampler you will probably also need a sampler (e.g. clock sound on 'No son of mine', JD800 drums on 'I can"t dance,' CR78 sounds on 'Man on the Corner' and "Duchess".)

My preference is the earlier period because of the amazing fun of the music. If you are in a tribute I understand completely that you may have to cover both.

You won"t 'need' Omnisphere for either period but it can help a bit more at the margin with the later material. Still, it"s quite a marvelous synth in it"s own right.

The biggest problem with Omnisphere is that you can literally spend years going thru the presets...

For 70's Genesis though you are going to need a decent RMI Electra Piano VST, a Mellotron (Pro-Tron), a Hammond, and an ARP Pro Soloist. After that Tony Banks became a little more adventurous in his keyboard setup.

I think you'd be better off using Arturia software than Omnisphere for this. I have the V-Collection 7 but you could just get Analog Lab and a number of preset libraries that are really inexpensive -- they have loads of tribute libraries in their store for ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd tributes and various stuff from that era. You can tweak the instruments in V-Collection or just get Analog Lab and buy the presets you want. I find this pretty quick and to the point for what you are describing.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have Omnisphere but to tell the truth, I don't use it much. I mostly use its textures more than anything. For example if your creating a Halloween song you can create a spooky texture to for an intro that fades out as the music plays. Its great for that. But for recreating classic synth sounds, I have to agree there are much better options. I recently bought a bunch of patches of classic sounds for my DeepMind 12, some of those are much better done then my own sounds. But added to the ones I made, I won't be wanting for sounds. The main problem with having too many sounds, especially with Omnisphere you can use up all your time just searching.

First world problem for sure!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

So I checked in the Arturia Sound Store for Analog Lab. I have the Genesis Tribute, ELP Tribute and both of the Pink Floyd tribute sets, among others from that era. I think they are good.

I did not see a Yes tribute sound set specficially but the Arturia Mellotron library is really good and the Hammond organ sounds are widely available. The "Past To The Future" Sound library is not specific to any yes sounds but may give you what you are looking for. I think it's the right solution overall.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries