Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

organ drum duos

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee Michaels and Frosty! What a team! Absolutely the LOUDEST concert I ever attended, June 1973 at the Detroit Masonic Temple. I think they were pissed off the gig shifted to this smaller venue from I think the Ford Theatre and decided to keep the power levels at the same setting... :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I think this one is kind of obligatory as it has achieved meme status in some circles :)

[video:youtube]

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Never heard of Soule Monde, that's some hot stuff. I've seen Will Blades many times, he's a Bay Area boy, but didn't know he collab'ed with Martin.

There was a thread here not long ago on the New Hammond Sound Project (sorry, don't know how to embed vids):

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Dave Teegarden and Skip Van Winkle had a minor hit in 1970 with "God, Love and Rock & Roll". Both worked with Bob Seger most notably on the album Smokin' OP's. Van Winkle was a member of Robby Krieger's band in the 90s.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I'll add Benevento/Russo duo. Marco Benevento and Joe Russo. They were active in the early 2000s. They used a lot of technology to push the boundaries of what an organ/drums duo could be. These two don't play much anymore as just a duo but have gone on to bigger projects in the jamband world, including collaborations with members of Grateful Dead and Phish.

Here is a studio version and live version of one of their more popular songs, Sunny's Song. Notice that the drummer has a keyboard, too. In the beginning of the live video, he triggers chords on a sample pad, to free up the Benevento the play other keyboard parts.

Hmmmmmm...

Greatest organ and drum duo was Cherry Wainer and Don Storer. They were legend.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Larry Young with Elvin Jones

I also remembering either reading about or hearing that CT and DG would sometimes play Squibcakes as a duet, either as a show opener or to give the rest of the band a break mid-set. Not sure if there are any recordings of that or if forum members who would have seen the classic lineup can attest to that, but I imagine it would have been mindblowing.

Not to derail the thread, but seems to me that the duos are in general much more adventurous to expand the sound than the organ trios, going much more beyond the same old 888 3rd perc thing the whole time (with the ocasional squabling or full out stabs here and there)... Seems a little controversial to me that a style so associated with freedom, as jazz, gets so attached to the traditional sounds... Any examples of classic trios or duos, to maintain the theme, that go beyond that in jazz? When funk/soul/rock is thrown in, things looke more intesresting in therms of sound choice to me...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Not to derail the thread, but seems to me that the duos are in general much more adventurous to expand the sound than the organ trios, going much more beyond the same old 888 3rd perc thing the whole time (with the ocasional squabling or full out stabs here and there)... Seems a little controversial to me that a style so associated with freedom, as jazz, gets so attached to the traditional sounds... Any examples of classic trios or duos, to maintain the theme, that go beyond that in jazz? When funk/soul/rock is thrown in, things looke more intesresting in therms of sound choice to me...
I hear this! There's Soulive, which isn't strictly "jazz," I suppose, and of course, there's Medeski Martin and Wood (which isn't really a traditional organ trio instrumentation, since there's a bass player rather than a horn or second chordal instrument that leaves the organist to cover the bassline), but I'd also be interested to hear about some other more "progressive" organ trios as well.

I did just remember seeing a fun organ trio on tour, a band called -- wait for it -- Organ Freeman. Definitely more of a funk/jam band situation stylistically, more rock than Soulive and not as avant-jazz as MMW. Very fun to see as an unexpected opening act.

Now I'm done derailing the thread!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Love the adventurism in this:

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I probably wil, never understand the popularity of Henry, but anyhow, if you don't want to have to consider if the audience comes from some unhip town or not great rural area, or alternatively represents top crop national culture town or prides themselves belonging to e.g. some LA scene, everyone is probably going to dig this forerunner of most jazz organ, if you don't mind getting some complementary (and tasty) rhythm guitar along with it:

T

I probably wil, never understand the popularity of Henry, but anyhow, if you don't want to have to consider if the audience comes from some unhip town or not great rural area, or alternatively represents top crop national culture town or prides themselves belonging to e.g. some LA scene, everyone is probably going to dig this forerunner of most jazz organ, if you don't mind getting some complementary (and tasty) rhythm guitar along with it:

T

The thread asks for duos, not trios. Why don"t you start a trio thread? Would be interesting to see if there is the same level of timbral and stylistic diversity, or, will they all sound like some approximated variation of the Jimmy Smith Trio?

There's Soulive, which isn't strictly "jazz," I suppose, and of course, there's Medeski Martin and Wood (which isn't really a traditional organ trio instrumentation, since there's a bass player rather than a horn or second chordal instrument that leaves the organist to cover the bassline), but I'd also be interested to hear about some other more "progressive" organ trios as well.

For that, check out Joshua Redmon and Elastic. Brian Blades on drums and Sam Yahel on B3, Rhodes, and Yamaha CS-15D (which the old farts from Downbeat didn't like). On this cut and others Redman drops out and they effectively become an organ drum duo. Starting 2:00 here.

yeh there's bits of overdubbed piano, but largely drums and Hammond, love love the tone, as someone above noted above even the best clonewheel just won't get you there.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Cool, a E100!

The picture reminds me of an 'H' model. I always thought the E only had one set of drawbars per manual.

I"ve been wrong before.....

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Haven and Tony Crombie. This appears to be a "hand-sync" performance but Haven still puts in over-the-top body moves to wrench out every note. This is from an episode of the Cilla Black Show which featured all Beatles music. She was friends with The Beatles going back to the Cavern Club. They wrote the theme song for her show and Lennon and McCartney made an appearance on this episode. The organ used here looks like a Lowrey DSO-1 Heritage Deluxe which is the same type The Beatles used on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Haven often worked with soundtrack composer Barry Gray.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2v8nGt6BCg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact