Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil releases PC4-7 and SP6-7

while the PC4-7 and SP6-7 share the same physical dimensions, there"s quite some (height) difference between their 88-note siblings.

Yes, the hammer actions require a lot more clearance beneath the key surface.

Cool.... I hope they have the same SW action as the Medeli SW action in the SP4-7 which I really like (except for sharp edges on some of 'em).

Yes, that was a nice action. The Fatar in the Artis 7 was even better (at least once I lightened the springs)... more even front-to-back, and longer overall. But the SP4-7 was still decidedly above average. Hopefully these new boards are that good or better,

I'm personally disappointed though that they opted for the external power supply on this model. For a keyboard this powerful and at this price the external PS seems lame.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a plastic chassis board with an internal power supply. There might be a technical or regulatory complication there. And once you lose the plastic chassis, you lose a lot of weight benefit.

A 61 model for me, please!!!

Looking at the front panel, they could conceivably make a 61 of the SP6, but the only way they could fit the existing control surface/electronics of the PC4 into a 61 would be to move the wheels to the left of the keys... which would make it barely smaller than the 76.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Assuming that this PC4-7 also has this, that would make this keyboard a fairly viable alternative to either the MODX 7 and\or the YC61.

Yup.

The PC4-7 vs. MODX7 comparison is essentially identical to the PC4 vs. MODX8 comparison:

PC4 advantages:

* 4 engines: sample-based, FM, virtual analog, clonewheel organ (MODX has the first two)

* assignable additional outputs

* aftertouch

* better implementation of seamless switching

* more flexible MIDI implementation

* full sequencer

* more polyphony

* more controller support (ribbon, 4 foot switches, though no superknob)

* hard button patch recall (though touchscreen also has advantages)

* full 16 zone/part support (MODX supports 16 internal Part but only 8 can be assigned to the internal keys, and it supports only 8 external parts)

* double the User sample memory (which also means you can load the larger, more complete versions of Busch's sample sets)

MODX advantages:

* touchscreen (also, screen is bigger)

* built-in USB computer interface

* endless encoders

* their various "motion control" related enhancements, which I admit I've pretty much ignored, it doesn't seem to apply to anything I do, but there is an overview at https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/features.html - I assume some of these are beyond what the PC4 can do, though I don't really know.

Sonically, each has some sounds I prefer over the equivalents in the other. Difference in action remains to be seen.

As for comparing to the YC61, that's tougher, because it's such a different kind of board. The YC61 is more Nord-like, emphasizing immediacy/simplicity over depth. I think boards with function-dedicated controls are really in a different category than boards with generic assignable controls. If you want flexibility, the latter wins, but it depends what your priorites are.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

... Seems they lost the mod wheel...

Unless my eyes are fooling me I see a mod wheel...

The PC4 had blue led's for the wheels and the PC4 logo on the back. It looks like the PC4-7 doesn't have those lights. But they can be turned off on the PC4 if you want.

Fleer said "...Seems they lost the mod wheel and 'PC4' lights while downsizing..."

Darned English Language...

Seems they lost the mod wheel and 'PC4' lights while downsizing.

What Fleer meant: they lost the (mod wheel and 'PC4') lights.

What I (and others) thought it said: they lost the mod wheel (and 'PC4' lights).

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

while the PC4-7 and SP6-7 share the same physical dimensions, there"s quite some (height) difference between their 88-note siblings.

Yes, the hammer actions require a lot more clearance beneath the key surface.

I meant the height difference between PC4 and SP6 siblings.

The 76-note versions share the same physical dimensions and the same semi-weighted action (apart from aftertouch).

The 88-note versions, on the other hand, are quite different as far as their height is concerned, the PC4 (88) being substantially higher than the SP6 (88) even though they share the same hammer action (again apart from aftertouch).

I personally prefer the more upright look on the PC4 (88) to the flatter fascia of the SP6 (88) and I would have loved the new PC4-7 to uphold the height difference in comparison to the SP6-7.

Yes - both of the 7's are 4.24" high.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why they couldn't have shaved more off of the length.

The end caps of the new housings (PC4-7 and SP6-7) look pretty wide compared to, for example, the Forte 7.

Maybe it's needed because of the plastic construction, but the end caps look much wider than the PC4 which also has a plastic housing.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a plastic chassis board with an internal power supply. There might be a technical or regulatory complication there. And once you lose the plastic chassis, you lose a lot of weight benefit.

Hey Scott, do you think the Yamaha CP4 falls into this catagory? It is mostly plastic, and although everyone loves it's replacement, the CP 88, it is heavier than the CP4.

:nopity:

Good question about the CP4. Is either the back panel (where the power connection is mounted) or bottom surface (which presumably holds the power supply) not plastic? If those two parts are plastic, it would defintely ruin my theory!

I'm having a hard time figuring out why they couldn't have shaved more off of the length.

The end caps of the new housings (PC4-7 and SP6-7) look pretty wide compared to, for example, the Forte 7.

Maybe it's needed because of the plastic construction, but the end caps look much wider than the PC4 which also has a plastic housing.

Yeah... The Artis 7, Forte 7, and the SP4-7 are all only 42- 44" long and will fit many 61 key cases/ bags. The SP4-7 is narrow enough it even fits in a NE 73 backpack bag.

At 46.54" long, both of the new 7'sunfortunately will not fit in a lot 61 key cases.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Indicative pricing (RRP) here:

'Als unverbindliche Preisempfehlung (UVP) gibt Kurzweil für das PC4-7 2.086,84, für das SP6-7 1.158,84 (beides inklusive 16% MwSt.) an.'

https://www.amazona.de/kurzweil-erwe...ation-angebot/

In comparison, PC4"s UVP was 2.318,84 so the actual price difference with PC4-7 could be 10%.

Note: PC4"s UVP at launch included 19% VAT, while German VAT has been temporarily lowered to 16% as a Covid-measure.

I mocked up this pic with the PC4 on the left and the PC4-7 on the right, lined up and sized to just about match (not precisley, because the angles don't match exactly). I'm encouraged that the 76's keys, while smaller than the 88s as usual, do not appear to be THAT much smaller (i.e. the white keys are not far less deep from front to back). It looks like these keys will be closer to piano length than the keys on, say, any of the TP8O based clonewheels.

PC4-sidebyside.jpg

This does seem to be the case, Scott. And good news.

The PC4 88k sells for $1999.00 in the US.

I would imagine at least a $200 reduction for a 76k semi-weight synth action - $1799.00 seems like a fair price for a plastic build even in a board this deep, no?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 5 weeks later...
The PC4 88k sells for $1999.00 in the US.

I would imagine at least a $200 reduction for a 76k semi-weight synth action - $1799.00 seems like a fair price for a plastic build even in a board this deep, no?

Bingo.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC47--kurzweil-pc4-7-76-key-synthesizer-workstation

That was my suspicion. As Scott suggested, $1499 was farfetched for a PC4 (though I'd pre order it today at that price).

Kronos goes 3899.99 to 3599.99 to 3199.99 although their 76 is a weighted if I recall.

Montage goes 3999.99 to $3499.99 to $2999.99.

So, new strategy from Kurzweil. The Forte is really their flagship now, which has allowed them to trickle down the amazingly capable PC line. Lowering the build cost and weight is obviously part of the plan. 88 weighted to 76 semi weight is a personal preference decision. Do you want it for playing piano, or is it a second tier board for orch, synth, and organ? If they do a 61k at $15 or $1499, will be interesting to see. Either way a sub-$2k PC4 is a win for players.

Need to find a place to play these - I'm not convinced these Medeli actions are going to make me smile. But, hell, neither does the Nord Stage Compact's action at $3599.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

$200 to go from a 76 semi-weighted to an 88 fully weighted. Does that seem right?

It's right according to Sweetwater. ;-)

The Roland FA has a $250 differential between its 76 semiweighted and 88 hammer action.

Krome has a $400 difference, but Krome's 73 key action is as bad as its 61, whereas Roland uses a higher quality action on their 76 compared to their 61. My hope is that the relatively small difference in price between the PC4 88 and 76 likewise corresponds to a better-than-basic feeling 76. Sometimes it's good that something is not cheaper. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
The PC4-7 is up at Kraft, Musician's Friend, and Woodwind & Brasswind plus the aforementioned Sweetwater now. Looking forward to hearing some reviews on the action. If it's pretty good one it will probably be my next keyboard purchase in a few years.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The prices are up for the SP6-7 now!

$1,199 on Kraft and Musician's Friend.

kur-sp67-top.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 2 months later...
Possible to control KB3 on the SP6 with a midi fader box velcro"d to the face?

I don't have an SP6, but Kurz uses standard MIDI CCs for drawbar functions, so, yes. In fact, I did that with the old SP4-7. (Though the SP6 also allows you to control the drawbars with its knobs, as I understand it.)

Regarding the question on shipping for PC4-7, spotted this comment on Kurzweil Music Systems Facebook page back on Jan 12th

"..76-note versions of the #Kurzweil #PC4-7 and #SP6-7 are inbound in Italy.." , however didn't spot an actual landing date.

For Kurzweil players, will be interesting to hear how the semi-weighted keybed compares to the weighted 88 key PC4, Forte and PC3.

Particularly for playing Piano/EP, and again for Synth/Organ - would anticipate the 76 keybed would be more suited for the latter.

• 2 months later...

Hello all - I hope everyone has been well.

I'm not familiar with Kurzweil onboard sequencers so, a question:

I'm assuming all your songs are in a scrolling list and you pick one to play. During playback are you stuck in the sequencer screen or can you navigate to other windows? Can you go back to the scrolling list of songs in order to highlight the next one you want to play, while another song is playing? Thanks.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Basing this off of how my PC3 worked, the list scrolls, but it's one at a time. You don't see multiple songs at once, so there's nothing to go back to. Same as my Motif sequencer and my Krome's sequencer (though the Krome had a chain option as well).

Basing this off of how my PC3 worked, the list scrolls, but it's one at a time. You don't see multiple songs at once, so there's nothing to go back to. Same as my Motif sequencer and my Krome's sequencer (though the Krome had a chain option as well).

Thanks. My PC3 broke well before I ever got a chance to mess with the sequencer. That's a shame, though - I like to get my next song cued up while playing the current song.

I will probably order the PC4-7 despite my concerns over their reliance one some fairly old Programs, and the overall reliability of Kurzweil keyboards. I do hope that the wall wart power supply has an extra long cable - that socket is on the other end of the keyboard. That's really a drag.

PC4-7.jpg

1960.thumb.jpg.7df3cdf6d80ac1a40852647777c88ad0.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin