Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DVD burning software

Kind of an outdated request, but anyone have a good recommendation for DVD burning software? Optical drives have all but disappeared, and apparently so has the ability to burn dvds from most currently available video editing software.

Years ago, I converted a bunch of family VHS tapes to DVD with a VHS/DVD combo player. Recently, some family members are wanting copies of those DVDs. The combo player doesn't work for copying DVDs unfortunately. I used HandBrake and a usb DVD writer drive to extract the video files to mp4. I have DaVinci Resolve and Premiere Pro CC, and neither of them support DVD burning. Apparently Adobe Encore works for this, but they stopped releasing it at CS6, and I never had CS6 to begin with.

The DVD drive came with some free downloads for software from Cyberlink and Nero, but neither support burning video DVDs without upgrading to a paid version of the software. Before I shell out any money for either of those programs, anyone here have suggestions for alternate software? Free is nice, but I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for something that gets me the ability to add titles and chapters.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Update: I tried out various free trials of a few different programs and they all were pretty terrible. Then I remembered that years ago (2013) I gotten Adobe CS6 at my day job, installed on a computer that had long since been upgraded to Creative Cloud. On the next day I went to the office (still mostly working from home due to the pandemic, but I get in the building a couple days a week) I dug through my desk drawer and found the original installer discs along with a license key! I was able to install Encore, and after watching a few tutorials, successfully made 5 different DVDs with custom menus. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
DVD Architect came with Vegas 17, and it does DVD and Blu-Ray authoring. It is a great program, however, it's no longer included with Vegas 18, which instead includes Sound Forge 14. DVD Architect is still available from Magix, but you need to contact them directly. Apparently the demand for DVD authoring has shrunk to almost nothing, but people still want to edit their video's audio tracks...hence the switch to Sound Forge 14.

• 4 months later...

I'm a big fan of NCH software and use a number of their programs in the studio. All their software is competitively priced.

Last year I purchased VideoPad specifically for editing my music videos.

VideoPad among its many features can export to DVD Movie or DVD Data (in your case, DVD movie).

• 2 weeks later...

The MPAA vigorously polices any DVD duplication software that bypasses CSS and any copy protection. One of the well known ones was DVD Decrypter which was free. When it copies a DVD, it removes region coding and CSS encryption. The MPAA came swinging the legal ban hammer and demanded the source code and abandonment of any development on the software. The author had to submit, but not before the software became available all over the internet.

It is pretty old and doesn't work with some of the more modern encryptions (IE Disney) but that was the tool I used to back up my DVD movies. And personal backups are LEGAL.