Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Discovered this forum years ago and disappeared for almost a decade. Don't have any excuses or crazy stories to share, just got busy with life.

Believe it or not, I remembered my log-in passwords, updated my profile and have bookmarked the link, with the hope of visiting frequently.

I am now retired as a sound engineer (broadcast television) but one thing that never stopped was my music writing and studio builds.

My hope is to once again contribute to music player in a meaningful way and enjoy the chatter...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Tony, another studio rat is always a great improvement.

This is a great forum and one of the most active ones but there are a couple lower down that could use your 2 cents!

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 months later...

Dear Tony, I will be squatting in your new digs shortly.

In all seriousness, I too am new (again) here and can think of nothing better for mental health than finding a place for our passions. I had a rough wake up call recently about how I valued myself as a contributor to capitalism and how little power that gave me when capitalism didn"t agree, as opposed to how I would have felt had I invested in myself. So here we are, with more gear than The Beatles had to make Abbey Road and infinite opportunity. Please share your recordings!

So here we are, with more gear than The Beatles had to make Abbey Road...

And Waves even virtualized Abbey Road!! The Abbey Road Chambers reverb is a tour de force, even if you don't care much about what reverb you slather on things.

Thanks guys for the feedback...looks like everyone is busy.

That's a good thing.

Acoustic Treatment arrived today, leaving the studio build at a standstill waiting for last three weeks. :mad:

I ordered the Auralex products on June 4th...

2'x2' tiles, Bass Traps, 2'x4' Panels and MoPad Monitor Isolators.

8814858657fecf82f228fbceaad0500393430ff0.jpeg

This will be the last image posted for now. I will post the completed studio when done and welcome questions.

Studio images will include racks, and two new additions; Nord Stage 3 Compact & Moog Subsequent 37.

Hope to be on-line in October. So far under budget!!!

I'm jealous. I did a trade for web work in exchange for a small studio worth of Artnovion (https://www.artnovion.com/categories/1-pro-audio-studio), and ended up lending most of it to my dad as life with little ones ended up taking priority over my man cave. I joke I'm too chaotic at the moment to not throw everything together when I want to perform/record, but I suspect that's just rationalization. Having a tuned in room with a repeatable rig is undoubtedly unfettering for you in terms on exploring creativity!

Acoustic Treatment arrived today, leaving the studio build at a standstill waiting for last three weeks. :mad:

I ordered the Auralex products on June 4th...

2'x2' tiles, Bass Traps, 2'x4' Panels and MoPad Monitor Isolators.

I went with the Radial Engineering London 8 kit. Eight 1' x 1', four 3' x 1'

Here's a shot during the deconstruction, and a preview shot of one wall.

hVzUDnM.jpg

HzWEhCj.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 1 month later...

Finally Done!

After two months, including delivery delays, I received the very last piece of hardware last week, a Moog Subsequent 37, completing the two month studio build.

As always, you learn from past mistakes, discover new challenges and implement what you believe are the best choices, given the working budget and personal priorities.

While this studio could be considered a turnkey setup, I have taken into consideration visiting musicians, where they would "plug-in" and how the environment would work for everyone.

I'm please with the outcome. Take pride in the integrity of the room (no ground loops, mismatched electronics, clean signal paths etc.) and happy to come in just under budget.

The two most expensive additions were the Nord Stage 3 (over priced in my opinion) and the Moog Subsequent 37. Pretty much everything else was from the previous studio, however the room was re-painted, new flooring installed with new acoustic treatment applied. Room is 15' x 11'

I'm more then happy to share some of the challenges I had including answering any questions, in the hope those considering a similar project, can learn from "our" mistakes.

That all said, hardware alone does not make music!

Cheers

e6fd2a343a13874048e38c10e4a70a9efd8291ac.jpeg

18db8fa2e395631ba175fca6681ce4e00b04b392.png

6896aeadaf007dfcbc65f840094b7474d4d3242e.jpeg

d63d805ab9bba03501a2d6a72695c55fc6cd3b97.jpeg