Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behind the scenes with Herbie

I guess because I spent so much time behind the scenes in music recording, live audio, post, I dig when artists put out behind the scenes video. Someone said something to me today that make me remember the hook on this song and I couldn't get it out of my head. I didn't remember the right song title but eventually found it on YouTube.

This bit is from Herbie Hancock's Possibilities DVD it's all video from the creating the songs that ended up on the CD Possibilities. The videos of other songs being created are really amazing. But I love the hook on this and you have groove master John Robinson on drums, Greg Phillinganes producing and of course Herbie. As much as I like this video it's the weakest song on the album. If you get a chance checkout the DVD some time.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I did a session for Steve Churchyard who was producing this exact Herbie session. Of course I don't get to do sessions for rad people like him very often, so knowing he was involved with this record I asked him all about it. He said it was amazing how Fazioli did all that work getting the piano there and meticulously tuned up (hours of labor) and ready to go and then it basically sat in the corner almost entirely unused until at the last minute Herbie decided 'hey I'll blow a solo on it'. Which he did and totally crushed in one take and that was that.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native