Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cloudlifter ZX2 ???

Does anybody have one, or have you used one? It looks like a nifty bit, I have one rack space left and I like the features but I can't find much on it.

There is a Cloudlifter ad in Tape Op this month, they have it listed as "Cloudlifter ZX2"

I searched "Cloudlifter ZX2" and Amazon will sell me an assortment of Cloudlifters. Didn't see one there or at Sweetwater.

I checked the images, I found this video -

According to the video - posted in January 2020 - they are about "3 months out", which would have been maybe April/May?

I tried googling it with the word "review" added, one Music Radar bit with a brief video and nearly zero information.

I searched ebay, nada. Lots of CL-1s and some Adidas sports shoes, etc.

I searched Reverb, zero listings.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has used one!!!! And, or - a source for obtaining one.

Or, are they still made of unobtanium (which is quite different technically than vaporware but the results are similar).

In the end, it's OK, I'm starting early on this since I still have some previous obligations to attend to first. Thanks! Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first and last time I saw this was at the 2019 AES show about a year ago. There's a bit about it in my 2019 AES Show Report. It's a Cloudlifter in the middle with a low-cut filter at the front, followed by a variable mic load between 300 and 15,000 ohms. Next comes a transformer - two transformers, in fact, slightly different sounding, with a switch to select one or the other, or bypass the transformer and go straight from the input impedance pot into the Cloudlifter. At the tail end, there's a five step output attenuator in the event that you have too much lift. Each channel, like a plain ol' Cloudlifter, is powered by phantom power from the mic preamp that presumably comes after it, so there's no internal power supply. It wasn't out out, expected to be out early this year, retailing for about $700 for a 2-channel unit. But you know how it goes these days when stuff has to get built and you don't have all the parts or labor because of, well, you know what by now.

If you go to the Cloudlifters web page, it's the one at the bottom of the stack. I think that the 2 in "ZX2" (for two channels) might be a superscript.

That's the one, it seems like it would be a versatile and useful unit since I often use dynamic mics and plan on getting a nice ribbon someday - the CAD D-82 is pretty nice but I want one even nicer one someday.

I guess I'll wait...

Do not get me started....:hider:

No one has one - we've shipped precisely zero. Supply chain issues - it has a few parts that none of the other Cloudlifters have.

dB

Cloud

Thanks Grave! Even if reality is not always pretty, it's nice to know what is going on. Gonna pay off a couple of things first anyway. Still have a bit of Buy/Try?G'bye going on around here at this point.

This is one of those products that I'd bet cash money on being a great value without prior testing. When it ships, pick one up if you think it will work for you. Because it probably will. Sorry, just a huge fan of the CL-Zi here.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

This is one of those products that I'd bet cash money on being a great value without prior testing. When it ships, pick one up if you think it will work for you. Because it probably will. Sorry, just a huge fan of the CL-Zi here.

Thanks Dr. Mike, that's what I'm thinking. It could make all the other mic pres into a variety of different tools

I haven't tried any of their stuff except the CL-1 and I love that. Another transformative device, it changes what microphones can do and are good for.

Also super simple and indestructable.

Add in the Z and X features on 2 side by side and yeah, I want one!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Any news on this? VERY curious.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music