Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The music playing in your head...

Its comforting to hear the varied experiences of other musicians as far as music in their minds.

To expand on that, I've also found that (since I was a little kid), I had the ability to actually practice playing the piano in my mind (you could see slight movement of my fingers as it was happening). I was able to correct problem spots as I "practiced" in my mind. It also worked for rehearsals as I'd actually go over problem spots of songs while driving to the rehearsal. Additionally, it was a way of 'keeping up my skills' if I was away for a period of time (ie: summer camp as a kid, vacations, etc).

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, here"s my hypothesis...

There"s a leaky faucet in my brain. It"s musical 'ur-stuff". The holding tank fills And pressure builds.

When I"m gigging regularly, the pressure gets released. Usually a paid-for but empty happy ending, and on rare occasions a glorious apotheosis.

When I"m NOT gigging, the pressure builds until I start hallucinating music. I mean, Christ Doc, I hear songs in my head!

And the music goes round and round, woah woah woah, til it comes out here.

Yup. Brain Radio 24/7. Usually with a song of the day in heavy rotation. I also find myself playing along with the internal melody with numerical fingerings. 1325413. Complete wack job.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I also follow along with tunes in my head. I found that took a very sharp increase when I learned how to use the number system and started hearing progressions much better. Combination of playing more gigs (especially gigs where I don't know all the songs and have to follow the bass player) and seeing a big-shot MD chart out a song he'd never heard literally while the artist was playing it. I also find that, while I don't have perfect pitch (and honestly not very good ears in general), I often "hear" certain progressions in certain keys and then build my number arrangement in my head based on whatever key picked.