Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Build Project Time

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks expensive!

My total parts outlay is about $25 less than a new K&M Omega with 2nd tier stacker

Looks expensive!

And heavy

Not as bad as you"d think. Also, the design I came up with has it able to fold in on itself for easy carry

Yes another involved keyboard related project. You sir are a sick puppy.

And I hope you never get well.

:) It"s a chronic condition. It can lay dormant and pop up unexpectedly

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I always thought Eric Levy's (Night Ranger) Gibraltar stand looked badass. Can't wait to see what you cook up!

:popcorn:

I actually chatted with him about it when they played a small venue here in Dallas a couple hours ago and I was backstage. First of all, really cool dude

Told me he and his tech came up with the idea and he loves it

David

I have loved my Gibralter custom keyboard stands. Once you are "in the system", it is easy to reconfigure things. I have three stands built right now. All are rock solid stable, the perfect height, and easy to take down and move. Zero regrets on the $$.

Cool. Yeah I read your post about it a couple years ago.

My drummer uses rack gear in his setup

The first iteration of my stand will be basic and then I"ll add on as I get a feel for add-one I want and where I want them.

David

I just can't imagine the schlep factor - both in terms of weight and in terms of setup time. But I'm eager to see how you get on.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The setup time is seconds. All the clamps are held in place with memory locks. Drop in two cross-bars, tighten four clamps and it is done. Weight and schlep -once a Rock-N-Roller is involved does it even matter? They are hollow aluminum tubes. But, its not an X-stand for convenience. But then, it is NOT an X-stand in performance. It is exactly built to my height, and it is immovable. With a keyboard on it, it is as stable as my grand piano. It looks good. I can get anything I want attached to it from laptops/Push/etc. I can change my rig however I want, and everything is exactly how I want it. Prior to this, I have used several K&M stands. I'm not going back. I use them for quick testing only. Good stands are like custom in-ears - once you have good ones, you think, "why didn't I do this sooner?". Obviously it is possible to play on a wide variety of stands, and we all have. But it is nice to have a stand that is exactly right and immovable during normal playing.

It"s been a few days. I"ve been busy.

Some updates

Some very basic fitting of the basic skeleton frame work

oK6B3g.jpg

The initial stand is designed for sitting. I also have a set of longer bars for when I want to stand. Thru the use of the Memory Locks on each set, I can switch out the bars quickly.

I will be cutting down the back vertical tubes with my tube cutter to bring my YC down to where I went it and make it more level.

Once I get the basic frame set, I will be working on some attachments with curved tubes.

qVDBqv.jpg

Teaser: Could some type of colorizing be involved? Hmmmm :)

iGldyj.jpg

David

Very nice! Mine is similar, also made for sitting. I put a curved bar across the back about 9-10 inches up to just make it more rigid. So I undo clamps top and bottom and then I have two halves and two crossbars. I bought two small rugs to go under it. I figured drummers have a nice rug to help hold things in place, why not me? I have a 3'x5.5' rug that just goes under rig (not my stool), and a larger 5x7 that lets me sit on the rug with the rig if there's room. The bigger one marks out as much space as a 6-piece drum set.

The clamps are expensive to get the first time (I went with the shiny ones), but they don't go bad, and once you have a solid base configuration, It is never much to change it around. Over a few years, I've added a standing height stand for the Minimoog Model-D, and a small stand for my SQ-5 digital mixer (mostly built from left-over odds and ends). I eventually moved my studio drum set off stands and onto a Gibralter rack and it massively simplified the floor footprint and made it much easier to mic. The biggest stand I built was three tiers with a laptop/push wing on the side (it never left the studio). At this point I've got a small box of temporarily unused clamps, pipe offcuts, laptop holders, etc. in my storage unit. Whenever I need/want to reconfigure, I can generally just re-jigger stuff if I have a think about it. Sometimes I need one or two more fresh longer pipes or a pair of clamps, but like other things, if you get after it for a while, you end up with a pretty flexible and largely durable collection of hardware.

Thanks guys.

Fun fact, if you have a hard time finding tubes,

Lowe"s sells a hybrid aluminum pipe in 1.5' od.

It is non-conductive and just a strong as the Gibraltar tubes

A 10" section was $18 at Lowe"s. They cut two 36' sections and of course I have a 48' section left over

The two vertical tubes in the picture in the garage are the two 36'

No, they"re not chrome but since I"m coloring them it"s cool.

I went with the black road series clamps as I knew I"d be coloring the tubes and the black goes better

David

I was working in my lab late one night

When my eyes beheld an eerie sight.

My keyboard stand had moved, and began to rise

And suddenly to my surprise:

It's got wheels and a mic boom attachment

I added a set of the improved Gibraltar Rack Casters. A very neat thing is when you lock them, there's also a geared cam that locks the entire mount in place so it won't swivel once you're in place.

They are very solid. They also added 5" height, so I had to redo the vertical tubes. The mic boom is a DW Multi clamp, and I pulled apart a Ultimate Support tripod stand I had.

Yes, that's an AX-48 stand on the ground. It's my parts donor for my other AX-48 that I painted.

6ATrIg.jpg

The Mic Boom and Multi Clamp. Please excuse the mess. This is where all my contraptions are conceived and born ;)

wijYuN.png

The stand is still designed so all i have to do is loosen the two clamps at the tops of the vertical tubes, and the leg and bars on each side rotate 90 degrees in. I then unlock the wheels and roll the stand to my truck, where it easily stand on the backseat floor of my truck. I'll get a pic of it ready for transport later.

The top horizontal tube is 48" I have the vertical tubes set at 8" in on each side. That gives me an open width of 32 inches. Plenty of room for the pedal board with snake I'm building a la Vonnor

As Nathaniel has mentioned about his Gibraltar, this thing is SOLID. Absolutely no bounce or movement, and with the wheel I added; very easy to move around.

EFsAVh.jpg

Now that I'm happy with the basics, and everything is measured (yes I'm using memory locks), it's time to take it apart and get it to the place that will do the color for me.

David

Very cool! I also find that I can dress cables very neatly using velcro ties if I want to. There is a bar very close to all cables. You do pretty big stage shows, and keep a clean rig. I ended up leaving velcro ties on the tubes at useful locations and then they where I need them.... Run the cables then undo the tie and wrap it around the cables. Done. Love the wheels BTW!

David I love your projects!

When you say you are going to get the parts to someone to do the colour, is that Anodising you are getting done?

Just wondered if you had thought about giving it a go yourself?

A friend did some clamps brackets by using Sodium Hydroxide to clean them, clean water rinse, and then using Sulphuric Acid solution (50%) and a car battery charger to electro anodise them, followed by another clean water rinse and bathe in strong fabric dye solution, followed by boil in hot water to fix. Results were impressive.

I guess the problem with your tubes for a DIY job would be the sheer size for the last step. The other steps could be done in some plastic rainwater gutter to minimise the volume of solutions needed and no large tank.

I have no experience of brush anodising but apparently that works well with large or awkward shape parts.

Perhaps you have a good Plater you can use which I guess is easier! Lol,

David I love your projects!

Thank you!

When you say you are going to get the parts to someone to do the colour, is that Anodising you are getting done?

Just wondered if you had thought about giving it a go yourself?

For about a millisecond then....

No :)

Perhaps you have a good Plater you can use which I guess is easier! Lol,

There's a couple really good shops near me that can handle what I want done. I don't have the space or experience (that hasn't stopped me before) to do true anodizing or powder coating.

These shops specialize in doing it to things already chromed.

David

There's a couple really good shops near me that can handle what I want done. I don't have the space or experience (that hasn't stopped me before) to do true anodizing or powder coating.

These shops specialize in doing it to things already chromed.

:) Lol! I don"t blame you!

Cheers

Hugh

Looks awesome! Do you plan on having the pedal board mounted on the stand so that it also rolls with you, if you envision using the wheels as part of your stage performance? I am sure you remember some of my posts about the rolling/tilting stands I've used over the past 30+ years and I've enjoyed having the pedals all mounted in place on the rolling platform. Just takes a little getting used to navigating the pedals a little bit higher off the ground. My favorite one includes Vonnor's magic with multipin cable snakes and it is a very clean look that is easy to set up as well.

Nice work! I can't wait to see the colors you're doing.

Very nice project - looks killer.

Do you think with these components one could orient the top tier so it is further back? I'm not a fan of overlapping much. The first stand I ever had (the invlsible stand) is the only one I've used that allowed the top keyboard to have almost no overlap. I can't find anything close to that with the current crop of options.