Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

an easy Van Halen song?

Compact Diss

Is there such a thing? Is it "you really got me"? My son has the VH bug after I showed him Eddie soloing on without a net. I'm no accomplished player but from what I can hear it seems like you really got me must be the easiest Eddie tune for a young kid to learn-any thoughts or better suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have found that alot of VH songs are fairly easy to play, but extremely hard to make it sound right. His phrasing is what is hard for me to nail. I think that it goes back to that "in the fingers" thing with Eddie. But having said all of that, yes, I think that "You Really Got Me" would be about the easiest to play. "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" is another that is a little easier also. Good luck CD! :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Don't forget to detune by a half step when playing against the early stuff.

"You Really Got Me" is one of the easier songs. The chords are straight forward... the main solo is somewhat flashy - esp. with the tapping but its pretty much the A blues scale notes and familiar licks.

Here's some tab to get started with...

http://www.guitaretab.com/v/van-halen/20182.html

Also try Unchained. Drop the low E to D and have fun!!!

Maybe Panama???

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

You Really Got Me is by The Kinks, so I wouldn't even count that.

Most of their songs are very musically simple (simple does not necessarily equal easy)--what makes them hard to play is what Eddie chooses to play as fills, solos, and his phrasing.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

As it is with any EVH song with guitar parts. The only way to play it right is "note for note". The chords are the easy part. Each bar of solo has to be right with the tone at least close.

Otherwise, you're just hacking your way through it.

Only Eddie is allowed to change anything.

Agreed! I've been hacking for years!!!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• 12 years later...
What a sad day for the world, Eddie, thanks for all you gave.

Many years later...my son went with you Really Got Me.

'Diss! 'S been a L0O0O0O0ONG time. Sorry that it's due to such sad news.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I mentioned this on facebook the other day... as every kid at the time with Van Halen and Van Halen II and a new electric guitar and amp I played along and could figure out most of the songs and the "normal solos" (even "You Really Got Me" just using hammer-ons for that one lick) but I couldn't figure out HOW he did the fast burst of notes... I was trying to play stuff like the passage in "Eruption" by traditionally fretting notes that fast, which seemed impossible to get up to speed, but even that impressed most of the kids I knew. Nobody knew how he did it... their tours had not taken them down here, yet, I don't think, and they didn't turn up on music video shows or on TV... I had guitar magazines with him in them but them didn't discuss anything other than "hammer on/pull off" and all the pics just showed him playing traditionally.

One Saturday morning I was sitting on the sofa, guitar in hand, watching American Bandstand and playing along... the musical guest was Pat Benatar, whose song "Heartbreaker" I'd already learned. I was playing along with the performace when, in one of the licks before the verse, Neil Geraldo played it by tapping two notes on the neck with his right hand... I played it the way he just had... then played it again... then started playing it faster, then yelled out loud "THAT'S HOW VAN HALEN DOES IT!!!" My little brother, sitting next to me, cracked up... and still brings that moment up. I watched the rest of Benatar's appearance while doing my new-found trick over and over and over, then ran to my amp... and proceeded to annoy my family and any neighbors within a cranked 15 watts range with probably a week solid of tapping!

Funny enough, a little while later when "Blizzard of Ozz" came out I learned the solo in "Crazy Train" using tapping... only later to find out that Randy Rhoads didn't use tapping in that solo when I saw the vid, and I just read something about how he tried not to do it because it was "Eddie Van Halen's thing" and he felt like a thief for doing it... part of a complicated rivalry they had as the two young local hotshots in the L.A. area in the mid-70s.

Look for early videos of Genesis with Steve Hackett, circa 1972, performing "Return of the Giant Hogweed", and you'll see that Hackett is tapping the intro riff: there is no other way to do it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com