Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil KM88 MIDI Controller

I don't understand the virtual controllers though - no physical counterparts, so what do they get mapped to?

I'm also wondering that. There seems to be zero clues as to what that is or how it works aside from the one picture - it's not even in the owner's manual or user guide.

I just went through the KM88 Software Editor manual. I hope I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but it looks like these "virtual controls" only exist in this software (page 21 of the manual). IOW, you set up your KM88 with your computer nearby and use your mouse or trackpad to click on & manipulate these "virtual" knobs and sliders that are displayed when the software is set to Play mode. I hate to pass judgment based on speculation but if this is the case, that's pretty much a non-starter for live gigs imo. OTOH if they put this interface on iOS or Android and you mount your tablet on the KN88, that could work, and might be pretty cool as the labels for each control could easily change when switching to different multi programs. Make it work wirelessly, like MOTU uses TouchOSC on tablets & phones to control their CueMix app, and that would be even better.

[edit - "non starter for live gigs" IF you require this kind of functionality for live gigs, of course â which many straight-up piano players might not. A 17lb 88-key weighted action board might be all the functionality you need!]

'RPHA' action. Same as on the PC4, bar aftertouch.

Any PC4 users here that could describe how action is? How does it compare to, say, a Yamaha GHS or a SL88 Grand? Depending on how it is, this new KM88 might just be the board I'm looking for...

Very subjective this one haha! But I'll share what I think. It's (the PC4) way better then the GHS (a LOT quieter too) It's about on par with the SL88 Studio. Better than the PX-5S and again, quieter. I find triplet repeats (always a good test for a keyboard) relatively easy on it (the Yammie was almost impossible and even the PX was tough to get all notes to sound) and it has high trigger point when playing the organ engine. Overall it is quite good to play. And with after touch as well...

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Wish it had 9 sliders. Hell, I wish it had some controllers on it; what is a midi controller if it lacks controls? The midi world isn't geared only to ipads and vsts. My idea of a midi controller is a stripped down PC3 with multiple midi outs in a lightweight package (no internal sounds).

Am I alone in thinking that they missed the mark here?

I'd go for it - A PC4-61 or 7x shell with sliders, buttons and knobs and a robust MIDI control capability. Sound engines not required

This (These?).

Here for the gear.

What is a midi controller if it lacks controls?
I'll take "Ways of adding a hammer-action playing surface to your rig, positioned in close proximity to an upper-tier board which already has lots of control capabilities" for $1000. We've explored the different requirements of controllers several times in the past - some like Mainstage integration, some like knobs-n-sliders, some like a really good action, some prefer low weight and compact size etc etc. A couple of years ago I bought a hammer-action 76-note board purely as a playing surface, driving my top board. The only controller I use on it is a sustain pedal. I appreciate you may be looking for something different Dave :thu:

Cheers, Mike.

'RPHA' action. Same as on the PC4, bar aftertouch.

Any PC4 users here that could describe how action is? How does it compare to, say, a Yamaha GHS or a SL88 Grand? Depending on how it is, this new KM88 might just be the board I'm looking for...

Very subjective this one haha! But I'll share what I think. It's (the PC4) way better then the GHS (a LOT quieter too) It's about on par with the SL88 Studio. Better than the PX-5S and again, quieter. I find triplet repeats (always a good test for a keyboard) relatively easy on it (the Yammie was almost impossible and even the PX was tough to get all notes to sound) and it has high trigger point when playing the organ engine. Overall it is quite good to play. And with after touch as well...

^^^ This

I gave up looking for a Physis K4 replacement.

Bought a new spare and enough parts to replace or swap anything.

Hoping for this to be equivalent but 4 zones is never enough.

I layer EPianos, Pianos, Electric & Acoustic GTR"s, Horn Sections alone are 4/6 zones.

Forgetabouddit. I have a Maschine + coming.

I"ll program everything and sit at the bar in 2021.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I've been waiting for Kurzweil to introduce a true Forte successor, and had expected they'd do so the day after I finally gave up and ordered an interim alternative to use as a controller here while waiting. So I'm not surprised, but somewhat relieved, that they introduced this instead - literally the day after I placed my CP88 order. (Yes, I already have a Forte in a different location, but it's a few thousand miles away during the pandemic and it was always the plan to get some keys in this location anyway.)

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

• 2 weeks later...
then realized it is 17 Kg, NOT 17 lbs!

Indeed! Spec page says "(38.6 lb) (17.5 kg)" -- maybe we were caught by a typo earlier?

At the same price and about 27 lbs, the Kurzweil SP1 seems much more appealing, it even has its own backup sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Then why would it be heavier than a PC4?

Seems like it would have to be a different action, or a metal housing, or both.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...

There's a new "intro" video out, kind of like the K2700 one. I will be honest...this actually does everything I would need in a basic midi controller for a live rig. But that's because I always use one board for all the sounds and the other just to control certain sounds from that board with splits/layers pre-defined from the main board, and I never use faders etc on it because it doesn't fit my setup. All that is done on the main board.

[video:youtube]

Four multis accessible at once - enough for four basic rig setups (if you had common uses). 5-pin midi, expression, switch, and sustain jacks, usb midi, a joystick, one slider, six buttons. Not bad. Now I'm just waiting to see a price. I would like it even more with pitch/mod wheels instead of the joystick since it's positioned to be your 88-note controller (in which case it would be doing pianos + pads, say, with filter cutoff for the pad on the mod stick). Kind of the issue with Korg. If one likes that setup though, this could be quite nice.

I didn't see the official Kurzweil link anywhere here, so here's the product page: https://kurzweil.com/km88/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ha, didn't notice. Prices are available now. $599 USD.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 2 months later...
Looks like it shares the Medeli K6 action with the Kurz SP6 and M-Audio Hammer 88 controller, while the Kurz PC4 has the higher tier Medeli K6S action (graded with aftertouch) as does the M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro.