Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil KM88 MIDI Controller

Wish it had 9 sliders. Hell, I wish it had some controllers on it; what is a midi controller if it lacks controls? The midi world isn't geared only to ipads and vsts. My idea of a midi controller is a stripped down PC3 with multiple midi outs in a lightweight package (no internal sounds).

Am I alone in thinking that they missed the mark here?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Kurzweil: it's the, um, uh, sound?

Totally ignorant Gut feeling: you market 88 key controllers when you sell 61- or zero-key sound sources. I'm guessing a smallified Forte or PC4 is in our future.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I assume it's a low-end budget home studio thing, its functionality seems pretty basic. No half-damper on the footswitch, no aftertouch, very few hardware controls (joystick, 6 buttons, 1 slider). Not so good for live use either, with no effective patch select mechanism, though at least it has a 5-pin MIDI Out.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think the price point will help answer that question. For a piano-oriented MIDI controller, something with a solid, comfortable action and a small number of controls would be just what the doctor ordered for me if the price and portability make it a better gig option than, say, a Kawai VPC-1.

But the higher the price (or the chinsier-feeling the action), the less likely I'd be to invest. Of course, if we learn anything from this forum, it's that we all have very specific, disparate needs...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Yes... since the functionality is so minimal, it will bascially come down to price vs. action. If it is the best feeling action you can find at its price, that can be a worthwhile niche.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So Kurz is finding ways to compete in a world dominated by less expensive gear. Cheaper and lighter builds. And the right balance of features to price point. Would one pick this over an Maudio? If the action is a little better and the firmware a little more robust, perhaps.

So, are these assembled in the US? Italy? China? Is it a Kurz branded Medeli?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The "chord triggers" feature is doing a great job of triggering my "get off my lawn" reflex
Ray Kurzweil's nefarious twist: the "chord trigger" feature turns whatever patch you're using into the GM classic "Orchestra Hit." :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Wish it had 9 sliders. Hell, I wish it had some controllers on it; what is a midi controller if it lacks controls? The midi world isn't geared only to ipads and vsts. My idea of a midi controller is a stripped down PC3 with multiple midi outs in a lightweight package (no internal sounds).

I'd go for it - A PC4-61 or 7x shell with sliders, buttons and knobs and a robust MIDI control capability. Sound engines not required, as I'm no longer a fan of their sound architecture. But I like the work surface and UX.

Nice try, I guess.

What do we know about wall wart design alternatives? Does the transformer always have to be this brick at the outlet and a lousy grade cable to a single tiny pin socket on the keyboard? At least there is sometimes an effort to provide a point to wrap the cable to keep it from getting kicked out.

Does anyone make gig sturdy replacements for these cheap wall warts they include with everything? I know laptop manufacturers usually choose the type with a detachable cable at the wall, attaches to the brick on the floor closer to you and then power to the laptop. Or in our case, Keyboard.

17 lbs? I won't use one for gigging because the wall wart is a deal killer. Not much of a MIDI controller either.

I'm spoiled by my 70 lb MIDIBoard.

it's USB powered. Like my Roland A88MK2

If you look at the specs, the "wallwart" would simply be a USB phone charger with the proper cable

As far as the rest: There is a market for something like this. I would use it underneath a 61 note board that had all the controls

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

This design has USB B printer style port on the keyboard? That"s typical of most controllers, the M-Audios included. It"s alright. They can wear out with constant plugging in/out. Not a problem for a printer. Or a controller for home which mostly gets plugged in to the PC and stays there.

Looks suspiciously like the SL 88 stage/studio - sans those silly joysticks - 4 zones, the same sort of control/setup button operation ;) - still the top is nice and clear (albeit narrow) so stacking boards should be pretty easy.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

If this isn't super expensive, I would get this to stay set up at home for teaching and programming, and leave my Nord & Novation in their gig bags for gigs & rehearsals. I don't understand the virtual controllers though - no physical counterparts, so what do they get mapped to?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

At 17 lbs it's way lighter than either SL88. The SL88 grand is, I think, heavier than my Forte7, even though it's much lower profile and not as deep. The SL88 studio is still 30 lbs.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

The "chord triggers" feature is doing a great job of triggering my "get off my lawn" reflex, but if it succeeds in being a quality weighted action at 17 pounds, I'm interested.

I wasn't until i translated 17 pounds in Kilograms (7,7). For some specific use case (mine, going to gigs and rehearsals by metro or busses, with the keyboard on my back) if the action correspond, it could be a blessing for a laptop based rig.

Not that i want to sell my shiny new NE5HP :)

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

This looks nice for stacking under a "do-it-all" board like, to pick a completely random example, PC4-7. There's a nice wide expanse of empty top panel to rest its front edge. Shame about the wall-wart, but it looks like Kurzweil lost that memo some time ago. And 17lb - is that a record for a hammer-action board?

Cheers, Mike.

This design has USB B printer style port on the keyboard? That"s typical of most controllers, the M-Audios included. It"s alright. They can wear out with constant plugging in/out. Not a problem for a printer. Or a controller for home which mostly gets plugged in to the PC and stays there.

I've been gigging for years with Arturia Keylab, NI Komplete Kontrol, Yamaha MOXF then MODX, and CASIO PX-5S. All have USB B connections. I have never had an issue with the USB B jack getting compromised.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

This looks nice for stacking under a "do-it-all" board like, to pick a completely random example, PC4-7. There's a nice wide expanse of empty top panel to rest its front edge. Shame about the wall-wart, but it looks like Kurzweil lost that memo some time ago. And 17lb - is that a record for a hammer-action board?

Yes, I think it's by far the lightest 88 hammer action board, and that make it a potential winner for the use you describe, to create a lightweight dual-action rig with a multi-function top board that has good ability to route its incoming MIDI. I'm also thinking about those organ-centric boards that specifically support external boards for triggering their pianos (or "lower" sections), e.g. Nord Stage 3 Compact, Yamaha YC61, Roland VR09/VR730. It won't give you the functionality/sounds of a Casio PX5S, but if it does what you need, 17 lbs is noticeably less than 24 (and I'm guessing it will be about half the price as well).

I have never had an issue with the USB B jack getting compromised.

OTOH... https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2880644/Controller_keyboards_and_their

I've been gigging for years with Arturia Keylab, NI Komplete Kontrol, Yamaha MOXF then MODX, and CASIO PX-5S. All have USB B connections. I have never had an issue with the USB B jack getting compromised.

I think I have a few threads here on my first Roland A800 Pro's loose-gripping USB port and how attached cables moving slightly during gigs caused it to eventually come apart. I desoldered & installed a few USB jacks before the board was too much of a mess to do again.

I'm on my second A800 and the jack grips much better (did Roland see my rants here?) :) . However for peace of mind I use 5-pin midi for all my road gigs now (maybe I should have put that in the past tense, lol), but on small local gigs I'll use USB. So far no issues (I keep a midi interface & cables in the backpack). I still think USB is preferable from a logistics point of view - one cable supplying power and midi vs a midi cable and wall wart (which needs a nearby outlet or quad box) for power. Time will tell if the USB jack holds up better than my first A800.

Since this new Kurz has both USB and 5-pin midi, what's the problem? Pick what you like. Too bad there's not a USB host jack on it that would let you plug in a NanoKontrol or the like. I'm definitely interested in seeing what a 17lb weighted action 88-key feels like. I just pulled my KX88 out of mothballs and am enjoying it a lot - but it sure isn't leaving my house!

I don't understand the virtual controllers though - no physical counterparts, so what do they get mapped to?

I'm also wondering that. There seems to be zero clues as to what that is or how it works aside from the one picture - it's not even in the owner's manual or user guide.

This does look like a good option for someone wanting to do the reverse of what I do (which is a workstation on the bottom with a keyboard controller on top on a second channel). So a small keyboard as the primary board and this as a controller for pianos etc. It's interesting that they went for a joystick instead of the wheels.

This is roughly in the same category as the M-Audio Hammer 88, control-wise. My understanding is that the Hammer 88 has sold fairly well. Same with the SL73/88/Grand models. At least they included a good selection of pedal inputs.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

M-Audio weighs more than twice as much. SL88/SL73 Studo is more serious competition, not as heavy, and more features... aftertouch, built-in color screen interface for managing zones, etc. Still a lot more than 17 bs, though.