Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why the SV-1 Rhodes still kicks other Rhodes samples' asses

While I"ve spent a fair amount of time on various Rhodes onstage and in the studio, I"ve never owned one, so it could be that my perception of how one 'should' respond is inaccurate or at least atypical.

My actual Rhodes Mk 1 didn't have a "classic" Rhodes sound or feel. Every one was different. Mine was a real dog (no offense to canines) and I was happy to get rid of it. Any modern instrument/sample collection is an improvement.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I think I see, your point is that *any* piano sound should be able to work in a band context, so it's no "special quality" of an SV1 (or triple strike) piano, it's just one of the qualities that they still have despite their possible shortcomings in other areas. Interesting question for people here to chime in on...

I'd agree with this statement overall. With a bit of judicious EQ it should be possible to make any DP cut through, but I do feel that the SV-1 AP's cut through without much investment on the part of the player. I use one of the stock AP's with a small EQ tweak (can't even remember what it is now as it's saved as a "favorite", but think I rolled off the bass a bit). It cuts through a rock band brilliantly, and I've mentioned here before I've had more than one sound engineer "ooh and ahh" at how easy it is to find a home for the AP sound in the mix.

As far as the Rhodes and Wurli sounds go: Love, love, love.

APs on the SV1 are great because they are compressed and punchy. They work way better in a band mix than realistic authenticity. If you want to be Oscar Peterson maybe there are better options but if you want to be Billy Payne then the SV kicks ass.

I want to be Oscar Peterson. Unfortunately, however, there are far greater barriers to realising that ambition than my choice of keyboard.

This is from our live at Massey Hall record. I used an sv1. After it came out I switched back to using my CP300. AP"s yes are punchy, but just not a full enough range for me. I agree that the Rhodes are top notch though.

Beautiful playing! Not easy to pull off a slow build like that on piano. I hate to say it but, yeah, that sounds like the SV-1 acoustic piano.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks! I know..as soon as I heard the mixes I was done. I"m not coming down on it entirely though. It has great ep"s, and for a gig where I am just playing out of an amp with nobody mixing out front, it totally works. I am curious to hear what they did to update the AP"s on the SV2...

In regards to Wurlitzer, did anyone see this? The CP does better than I would have thought.

For me, it's exactly what I thought before watching. I've played the CP 73/88 late last year and at NAMM in January and thought they sounded closest to my A200 than anything else, with Nord coming in a close second. Neither plays like the 200, just like neither plays like a Rhodes

:nopity:

In regards to Wurlitzer, did anyone see this? The CP does better than I would have thought.

For me, it's exactly what I thought before watching. I've played the CP 73/88 late last year and at NAMM in January and thought they sounded closest to my A200 than anything else, with Nord coming in a close second. Neither plays like the 200, just like neither plays like a Rhodes

This. I've thought the same thing re the sounds, hey this sounds great and real close to what I remember of the 200A and the 207 (the very rare teacher's model that was designed to go with the 206) that I've regularly played, but when I sit down to play the Yamaha there's just no connection, where I feel the SV1/2 responds to my playing so much more like the real thing.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

This. I've thought the same thing re the sounds, hey this sounds great and real close to what I remember of the 200A and the 207 (the very rare teacher's model that was designed to go with the 206) that I've regularly played, but when I sit down to play the Yamaha there's just no connection, where I feel the SV1/2 responds to my playing so much more like the real thing.

Coincidentally, I just played a CP73 today, and my reaction was similar. Everything about it was Just Fine, and yet it didn't make me want to keep playing it. It was like dating someone who ticks all the boxes for qualities you want in a partner, but that fire just isn't there. Which is kind of a shame, because it's a very convenient board â well made, good action, lightweight, quality sounds, intuitive to operate. There's a lot to like about it if you happen to be a person who connects with it, but I definitely was not. (Similar to how I feel about the last few generations of Nords.)